The GOAT does 14.1................

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the ball going in the pocket as much as knowing to use left on the cue ball to get it back to hitting the far bottom corner of the stack and free for another shot; as well as knowing that by hitting the cue ball with left ( inside) he had to make the object ball hit the cushion slightly closer to the near pocket as the reverse effect on the OB helped it bank cross side into the pocket-

He had to know and deliver on two aspects of the shot at the same time and he executed both as well as anyone on earth!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the ball going in the pocket as much as knowing to use left on the cue ball to get it back to hitting the far bottom corner of the stack and free for another shot; as well as knowing that by hitting the cue ball with left ( inside) he had to make the object ball hit the cushion slightly closer to the near pocket as the reverse effect on the OB helped it bank cross side into the pocket-

He had to know and deliver on two aspects of the shot at the same time and he executed both as well as anyone on earth!

Or maybe he could only see enough of the 3 where he HAD to use left English and because he's the GOAT he knew how much left to use to hit the bottom of the stack?

Just a though.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO he had to juice it with left to both create the bank angle AND get to the bottom of the stack. Genius-level shit no doubt.
Yep, right english and trying to go around the table with that angle would probably not leave the cue ball with enough speed to power into the balls and get free.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming he could see enough of the 3 to use RIGHT english, would he have chosen to go 3 rails into the rear of the rack anyway, instead of one rail into the front (?). Hitting the rack harder would result in a better spread/shot selection, but likely also increase the risk of scratching in the corner. But, if you ARE the GOAT and your attitude is ‘balls out’ offensive/aggressive/runout...........?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming he could see enough of the 3 to use RIGHT english, would he have chosen to go 3 rails into the rear of the rack anyway, instead of one rail into the front (?). Hitting the rack harder would result in a better spread/shot selection, but likely also increase the risk of scratching in the corner. But, if you ARE the GOAT and your attitude is ‘balls out’ offensive/aggressive/runout...........?
Very small target going to the front two balls of that rack , and as you said, risk the scratch off either side of that rack if you miss the head balls.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing this shot live. Wild doesn’t even begin to describe it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can only say that in my lifetime I've never seen that type of break shot. NEVER! I have seen Eddie Taylor shoot an easy one rail bank into the side and send the cue ball two rails into the bottom of the pack, but that shot was a hanger compared to this one.

I also thought the commentary between Billy and Nick was really entertaining.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That little left at that speed is very difficult to apply (for me anyways) I'm wondering if the ball didn't just bend into the required path. (?)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WHAT A SHOT!!
Wow.
Thanks - I didn't realize that match existed. I ordered it and just watched it. That was one of five below the rack break shots Efren hit. Four of the five times he went off the foot rail into the bottom of the rack and each time he came away with a shot.

There was also an interesting safety battle. Very entertaining match.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great shot, of course- but somewhat risky. He could have sold out that rack which could have led to long run. What would be a good safe shot in this situation? (I hardly ever play 14.1)