QUESTION FOR DUCKIE

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i know you dont believe that balls have edges or we can talk about pool balls in a 2 dimensional way
so when you look at the horizon
do you see a straight line?
if so how can that be since the earth is curved?
is it possible for you to hypothetically call that an edge even if in reality it is not?
just like the last part of the round ball that you can see from where you are standing
is it possible for you to hypothetically call that an edge even if in reality it is not?
if the answers are no
why not?

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Well, lets just keep things on the table because depending where Im standing like at the beach or up in the mountains determines what horizon I see. Ive been up in a P3 at 30,000 feet and thats a whole different horizons than the two I mentioned.

Go the salt flats, you well see the curvatures of the earth. When I see a space shot of the earth its round no edges.

The thing is words have meanings. You can say anything you want, doesnt mean it is correct. When you tell someone the edge of the knife is sharp, there is no guessing where the sharp edge is. You can see it and if not careful, that edge will cut you.

You can only point to a spot on the surface of a sphere. There is no edge to point to. The CTE lines goes from some a spot on the ball to another spot on the ball.

There is no edge to go to....only a spot on the surface of the balls. Since only spots are used, there is no way of knowing if everyone is using the same spots when discussing CTE.

I live and breathe in a 3d world. In my world balls will never have edges. NEVER.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Because balls dont have edges is the biggest reason CTE can not be put on paper as a drawing.....

And because there are not edges is the biggest reason CTE is so difficult to use. It requires massive amounts of trail and error, same as with any and I mean any aiming method.

The “edge” you use by not the same “edge” another uses......purely subjective.

Determining where the CB and the other balls need to go based on what you need to do with the shot in front of you is all trail and error.

CTE is too limited to be worth while because in reality, there are almost unlimited shot scenarios. It does not allow for creative shot making.

The worse thing anyone can do to their game is use CTE. Its just worth while.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, lets just keep things on the table because depending where Im standing like at the beach or up in the mountains determines what horizon I see. Ive been up in a P3 at 30,000 feet and thats a whole different horizons than the two I mentioned.

Go the salt flats, you well see the curvatures of the earth. When I see a space shot of the earth its round no edges.

The thing is words have meanings. You can say anything you want, doesnt mean it is correct. When you tell someone the edge of the knife is sharp, there is no guessing where the sharp edge is. You can see it and if not careful, that edge will cut you.

You can only point to a spot on the surface of a sphere. There is no edge to point to. The CTE lines goes from some a spot on the ball to another spot on the ball.

There is no edge to go to....only a spot on the surface of the balls. Since only spots are used, there is no way of knowing if everyone is using the same spots when discussing CTE.

I live and breathe in a 3d world. In my world balls will never have edges. NEVER.
thank you for your reply
i mean that sincerely
(y)

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
thank you for your reply
i mean that sincerely
(y)

So you say the horizon looks different front different vantage points? Amazing. The edge of the OB also looks different from different vantage points. Go figure.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So you say the horizon looks different front different vantage points? Amazing. The edge of the OB also looks different from different vantage points. Go figure.
Mohrt
I am not sure why you quoted me in your post above

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

You make some excellent points.

One could also go visit an Egyptian pyramid, and depending on where they stood, they'd see the shape of a simple (though huge) triangle. Since a pyramid is constructed of 4 triangular shaped walls, a person can see 4 distinct triangles from 4 different perspectives (directly in front of each wall). The other three walls will still be there, of course, but they can't be seen. Only the triangular shape directly in front of you can be seen.

A cone shaped building is also in the shape a big triangle. But unlike a pyramid with its 4 sides, there are no sides on cone. So a person can get 360 different perspectives of view, and from each perspective one can easily see the simple shape of a triangle.

A ball, like a baseball or basketball or a pool ball, is a sphere. But it's also a simple circlular shape from any perspective. If you set a ball on a table and look at, you easily make out a circular shape. And if you move an inch to the left you'll still see a circular shape. Walk all the way around the table, 360°, looking at the ball the whole time. It will always be a circle from any of these 360° perspectives. And from each of these perspectives that circular image has a visible outer edge or limit. Everything inside that outer edge defines the circular portion/shape of the sphere we are looking at.

Sure, we know it isn't a flat 2D circle. Lighting and shading tell us there is another dimension, that the circular shape has convexity also, so we know it's not a flat circle. But even this convex portion is contained within the outer limits of the circular shape we see. The fact that it's a sphere doesn't mean anything because we can only see it from one perspective at a time, and it's always in the shape of a circle with a clearly defined outer edge/limit/circumference.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You make some excellent points.

One could also go visit an Egyptian pyramid, and depending on where they stood, they'd see the shape of a simple (though huge) triangle. Since a pyramid is constructed of 4 triangular shaped walls, a person can see 4 distinct triangles from 4 different perspectives (directly in front of each wall). The other three walls will still be there, of course, but they can't be seen. Only the triangular shape directly in front of you can be seen.

A cone shaped building is also in the shape a big triangle. But unlike a pyramid with its 4 sides, there are no sides on cone. So a person can get 360 different perspectives of view, and from each perspective one can easily see the simple shape of a triangle.

A ball, like a baseball or basketball or a pool ball, is a sphere. But it's also a simple circlular shape from any perspective. If you set a ball on a table and look at, you easily make out a circular shape. And if you move an inch to the left you'll still see a circular shape. Walk all the way around the table, 360°, looking at the ball the whole time. It will always be a circle from any of these 360° perspectives. And from each of these perspectives that circular image has a visible outer edge or limit. Everything inside that outer edge defines the circular portion/shape of the sphere we are looking at.

Sure, we know it isn't a flat 2D circle. Lighting and shading tell us there is another dimension, that the circular shape has convexity also, so we know it's not a flat circle. But even this convex portion is contained within the outer limits of the circular shape we see. The fact that it's a sphere doesn't mean anything because we can only see it from one perspective at a time, and it's always in the shape of a circle with a clearly defined outer edge/limit/circumference.
I think duckie let the cat out of the bag maybe a year ago that he was punking everybody with this edges thing. Now we're talking about edges again. Too bad you can't monetize this, duckie!

As an aside, you need to stand pretty far away from any of the great pyramids to see the triangle. When you are close about all you can see is a wall of stone going up. You can't see the left or right edges of the pyramid.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live and breathe in a 3d world. In my world balls will never have edges.
Your previous observation of this reminded me that we often use words incorrectly.
That is why I now refer to the perimeter as viewed from a specific perspective instead.
And your farther observation about contacts occurring from points on the equatorial surfaces.
Also based on 3 dimensionally, from two static locations, like 2 sitting balls on a single plane, like a table bed, there is only one point can connect physically to any one equatorial point on another.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think duckie let the cat out of the bag maybe a year ago that he was punking everybody with this edges thing. Now we're talking about edges again. Too bad you can't monetize this, duckie!

As an aside, you need to stand pretty far away from any of the great pyramids to see the triangle. When you are close about all you can see is a wall of stone going up. You can't see the left or right edges of the pyramid.

A few hundred yards I'm sure.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The curvature of the horizon is easily attributable to optics. Skipping a couple magnitudes, if your hologram is a construct and not a representation of an actual environment, then there's no reason a flat earth isn't possible.

The edge of a ball is it's silhouette.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Everybody that plays pool understands what a half ball hit is. I'm also confident that any pool player can execute a half ball hit, maybe even duckie. However if the edge of a ball, as described, cannot possibly be seen or exist, then a half ball hit is not possible to see or execute. That is a direct contradiction. If duckie is trolling us, then I'm trolling with CTE. :)

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
It is hard to know where someone is coming from if you dont know where they have been.

Meaning, without knowing my past life experiences, you really cant understand why I believe what I do.

I only throw out the no edges thingie at times just to be annoying.

I have no idea why some try to get me to state a sphere has a edge. Believe what you want, I’ll believe what I want.

If thinking in terms of balls having a edge helps you to be consistent, go for it.

Just dont expect everyone will do the same.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is hard to know where someone is coming from if you dont know where they have been.

Meaning, without knowing my past life experiences, you really cant understand why I believe what I do.

I only throw out the no edges thingie at times just to be annoying.

I have no idea why some try to get me to state a sphere has a edge. Believe what you want, I’ll believe what I want.

If thinking in terms of balls having a edge helps you to be consistent, go for it.

Just dont expect everyone will do the same.
Edgy comments as usual.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I just read someone stating “But some people don't really pick up the farthest most edge right away”.

But they can not produce a photo of that edge. They are stating to use a reference point that doesnt exist.

So until someone can post a picture of the edge they are referring to........edges on balls dont exist in the real world only in the minds eye......just like every aiming method out there.

The contact patch method I use only exists in my mind. But I can produce a drawing that shows where that contact patch.

The idea CTE or ANY aiming method, including contact patch, is objective is just plain bullshit.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
What is that the red arrow is pointing to? When you stand behind the cueball and look at the object ball, is there an outer most EDGE you can see and line up the CB CENTER and/or EDGE to? How can this be? How can you reference something that does not exist? The mind is blown.

edge.png

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is that the red arrow is pointing to? When you stand behind the cueball and look at the object ball, is there an outer most EDGE you can see and line up the CB CENTER and/or EDGE to? How can this be? How can you reference something that does not exist? The mind is blown.

View attachment 591797
Looks like an edge to me. What idiot here thinks it isn't.??
And the CTE shot perception to send that 8 ball dead into that corner pocket is a 15 inside or a 30 outside.
I'd play it as a 30 outside and use a tip of stun draw to "hold up" the cueball...unless I wanted to go on down table and then I'd switch to the interchangeable 15 inside and roll it.....(watching out for that scratch over there in the opposite corner.)
And never even looking at the pocket after getting the perception at standing ball address.
I LOVE this stuff.
You know, Stan coached me hard on the use of the interchangeable 15 inside and 30 outside, but I was having such a good time pocketing balls with this system that "I slept" the possibility of using the 15 inside and the 30 outside as positioning tools.....that knowledge is GLORY personified. That information alone is worth the price of the book.
Stay happy. (y)
Pete

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
He's right about it not being an edge by definition. Edges makes corners, technically three make a corner. So a ball/sphere cannot have edges or it wouldn't be a ball/sphere. But really, for teaching purposes, I'm ok with calling the outer most side of the ball the edge. (y)

I enjoy y'alls banter on aiming. Thanks.