Demolition of the East High Billiard Club?

L.S. Dennis

I remember coming across a link of a news article posted by Bob Jewitt about the closing and or demolition of the East High Billiard Club where Mosconi ran his 526 in Springfield Ohio in 1954. I think it was is the 14.1 section of the forum but I can’t for the life of me find it again
does anyone know where this link is?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More important would be was the table ever saved - the one he ran the 526- It just would have made sense for someone to save it - although folks were much more modest about records back then- Roger Maris ran around the bases with his head down after hitting #61 and did not take a curtain call! A lot has changed in society- anybody working on a time machine- wouldn't mind heading back a bit:)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
More important would be was the table ever saved - the one he ran the 526- It just would have made sense for someone to save it - ...
A few years after Mosconi's run, George Rood and a partner bought the room. I was talking to George and he said with a twinkle in his eye that there were three different people who believed they owned The Table. So yes, the table was saved. :giggle:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear that! I hope that it is passed on for the next generation or offered up to someone who will preserve it.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear that! I hope that it is passed on for the next generation or offered up to someone who will preserve it.
No one will ever know for sure which one, was the real one though , the same guy sold several tables as the original, {At least 3} MY GUESS WOULD BE AS MANY AS HE COULD,
{it was not George}. I was also told there was a table that was not even a Brunswick that was sold as "The table" I Have no verification of that though.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one will ever know for sure which one, was the real one though , the same guy sold several tables as the original, {At least 3} MY GUESS WOULD BE AS MANY AS HE COULD,
{it was not George}. I was also told there was a table that was not even a Brunswick that was sold as "The table" I Have no verification of that though.
Well then, that is a shame! Someone willing to take money and mess with a legendary accomplishment by a legend in a sport. Money is truly the root of all evil. I'm not naive - it happens everywhere, but it is a shame.