how are ya'll doing in league ?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to back sessions, league MVP baby! One 8-ball, one 9-ball.

In retrospect, if I can do that, I should probably be looking for a little more competitive league... 😑

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Congrats , i actually lost to this season mvp tonight, but the rest of the team dominated so I was only a little pissed after.

I need an 8ball mvp to go with my 9ball one some day.

I think everything about the apa format is more difficult than a one game against 5 players bca format,

Take what you make, behind the line after break scratch hard races because of the handicap and a loss of game if you scratch shooting at the 8, while not dropping the 8 of course

The competition might be higher, but if they bnr on you all the time, it seems to defeat the purpose to me. For bca.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I'm a 6 now at apa 8 ball and 7apa 9ball(which I haven't played in over a yr)

I'll be sure to report that to the bca l.o. so they adjust me correctly so they can find something else to cry about.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Unfortunately league hasn't started for us. Canada Ontario is in lock down again. The last 3 leagues i started all shut down due covid the last year.

Hey Texas, How does apa compare to bca handicaps ? I have never been able to find similar conversion chart.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately league hasn't started for us. Canada Ontario is in lock down again. The last 3 leagues i started all shut down due covid the last year.

Hey Texas, How does apa compare to bca handicaps ? I have never been able to find similar conversion chart.
Fwiw...

I’m a banger. 530ish Fargo, 6 APA 8-ball, 8 APA 9-ball. Fits in pretty well, though APA doesn’t do a very good job of capturing those who play 8-ball strategically as it tends to over-focus on innings vice wins...

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Fwiw...

I’m a banger. 530ish Fargo, 6 APA 8-ball, 8 APA 9-ball. Fits in pretty well, though APA doesn’t do a very good job of capturing those who play 8-ball strategically as it tends to over-focus on innings vice wins...
In our hall, bca leagues they only use the 4-5-6 and a very rare 7. And the 7's can bnr 30-50% of time. 6's bnr maybe 20%. By that chart i would be lower intermediate, maybe upper beginner since they consider me a low 5.

My hall may not be a good representation for that chart. It seems like our guys may be under handicapped if they went elsewhere. Unless i have the wrong idea on what each level is capable of.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In our hall, bca leagues they only use the 4-5-6 and a very rare 7. And the 7's can bnr 30-50% of time. 6's bnr maybe 20%. By that chart i would be lower intermediate, maybe upper beginner since they consider me a low 5.

My hall may not be a good representation for that chart. It seems like our guys may be under handicapped if they went elsewhere. Unless i have the wrong idea on what each level is capable of.
In my experience, the Fargo rate tends to be more accurate region to region. APA and BCA seem to be much more region/locale dependent.

Just my personal perspective/experience though...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
APA and BCA seem to be much more region/locale dependent.

Just my personal perspective/experience though...
Which is weird because "supposedly" the APA National Headquarters sets the player's handicaps.....and numbers are numbers.

It would seem logical that the only way APA handicaps would be off from region to region would be due to extreme, intentional
sandbagging in certain regions, or very poor scorekeeping in certain regions (which seems unlikely).

All the numbers are "crunched" the same nationally, so how else could this be explained???

Just making conversation. I play in the APA but quit caring about other people's handicaps quite a few years ago. I just go and play and let the chips fall where they may. It's fun anyway.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member

I'm not really sure this was only my second go at apa, and just a few weeks in bca so have no real understanding on comparing, fargo is really new to me.

Probably going to have to stop playing bca since it's quiet a bit more expensive at my current rate I'm spending 200 a month on league fees with the 14.1 bca and apa, which sucks but it's adding up quick, I probably should stick to just apa as it's the cheapest,

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Bca wed, I hang up just 2 8s
Everything else I'm dropping. And one of those 8s was right on the ledge of the slate in the pocket brutal.

14.1 tonight
they decided to play me in the "a" bracket.
I play one of the better shooters, a 9ball player that's never played 14.1

I get a 23 point spot because who knows the rating and they don't know us yet, alot of new players in the system.

Race to 150 in the a bracket.
I win 150 to 94, after dogging a few easy ones and giving him a couple racks.

He said he was actually nervous and loved it. His first shot he missed I ran the 14 balls. So that opened his eyes .

We rarely had a good break shot to continue so lots of good safe battles.

I'm really improving. I'm getting very low on the shot, long open bridge cueing now, next to no closed,
All depending on the shot at hand.

But watching a mark wilson accu stats demo. He talks about the stroke timing being the length of time it takes to say "ladies and gentlemen"
With longer shots and when you need a good smooth stroke, I make so many more balls now, lagging in all long straight shots.
I made him pay as much as I could when he left me one, totally confident in my long shooting now more than ever.

It's also a Fargo reporting league. It was so much fun. Loving it.
One day I'll be creeping up to David's 530 ish banger level 🤣🤣

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took last week off...just too tired from working on putting a roof on my deck all weekend.

So last night was a continuation of how last session went.

Lost 9 ball and won 8 ball vs the same player. I lost 38-36 in a 38-46 race.

Then we played 8 ball and i won 4-1 in a 4-4 race. After he congratulated me on the 8 ball win he said no offense on your 9 ball game but you play a whole lot better 8 ball. I replied none taken because i think the same thing.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I actually played a decent match last Thursday, after a crappy one the previous Tuesday. I've been playing so badly the last two sessions that I'd been considering taking a session off. Nice to play one match that I played reasonably, and beat a tough opponent.

I won't take a session off. I think about it, but when it comes to it, I'll just keep on slogging along, unless they want to replace me.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit being a captain last night and let my son take over :)

He's worried about it because last week I didn't go and let him run the show and it turned out to be a shit show. We have a legitimate SL1 on our team and she'll never be any better but man she tries. Either way, she had used her two timeouts but then needed the bridge but didn't know how to use it so one of our players grabbed the bridge and was showing her how to use it (away from her balls by the way) and she made the ball and then two more then missed. 10 minutes later when the other team realized their player could win they called foul on the third timeout and she lost her three points and lost her match. On top of that, the other team was just being a bunch of assholes. I'm actually putting all the information together now to submit to national. I doubt anything will come of it but the next time I see that team they're going to know what they did was wrong.

Oh, but me and my son are leading our respective divisions in the MVP standings :)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I quit being a captain last night and let my son take over :)

He's worried about it because last week I didn't go and let him run the show and it turned out to be a shit show. We have a legitimate SL1 on our team and she'll never be any better but man she tries. Either way, she had used her two timeouts but then needed the bridge but didn't know how to use it so one of our players grabbed the bridge and was showing her how to use it (away from her balls by the way) and she made the ball and then two more then missed. 10 minutes later when the other team realized their player could win they called foul on the third timeout and she lost her three points and lost her match. On top of that, the other team was just being a bunch of assholes. I'm actually putting all the information together now to submit to national. I doubt anything will come of it but the next time I see that team they're going to know what they did was wrong.

Oh, but me and my son are leading our respective divisions in the MVP standings :)

If i recall, an extra timeout isn't actually a foul. Its a sportsmanship violation.

And it would have to have been called at the time, not three shots later.

Still, it sucks to have that crap happen

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If i recall, an extra timeout isn't actually a foul. Its a sportsmanship violation.

And it would have to have been called at the time, not three shots later.

Still, it sucks to have that crap happen

Yep, if a legal shot is made after the foul then the foul cannot be called.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, if a legal shot is made after the foul then the foul cannot be called.
I have had a few situations arise over the years concerning another captain calling a foul and one thing i learned the hars way....just because some one calls a foul doesn't mean its a foul.

In other words they didnt know the rules as good as they thought they did. My advice to your son when in doubt a foul is legitimate or not is to stop the match and get the league operator on the phone for a ruling. That is if the other team are being azzhats....i let honest mistakes by the other teams calling fouls slide mostly because no one and i mean no one around here knows every rule in the book.

Yea i kmow what you mean about letting the other team know whats what. I had an incident one time where the other team called a loss because my player did not mark his pocket on the 8. It was two 6's playing and it was hill - hill.

I relented the loss after giving them a big dose of wtf yall trying to pull ? Neither player had marked the pocket the past 8 racks..

So we continued on with the rest of the matches and at the begining of the 4th match the other captain requested a replay for the 5th round in both 8 and 9 ball because they only had r olayers there. I didnt say anything at that time.

When it was time for the 5th match he called the same player who had previously callled the loss for not marking the pocket. I said he aint playing. Their captain said well who do tou want me to replay ? I said nobody cause i am callimg a forfeit and while i am at it i am letting you know yall gonna forfeit the last 9 ball also.

Well the while team got in an uoroar like i had callled rheir mamas every bad name i could think of. . then they went and grabbbdd the division rep which tried to change my mind in the name of sporstmanship which did no good. Then the captain got on the phone to the league operator and he must not have liked what the league operator told him cause he hung up amd grabbbed his cues and case and stormed out of the pool hall with out sayung a word to every one.

I did get to tell whim while he was packing that if he wanted to fvck my team over by throwing rules around he better get used to having them thrown right back at him.

Thats the only time i have ever refused to allow a team a replay and it was simply because they tried to fvck my team over .

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a few situations arise over the years concerning another captain calling a foul and one thing i learned the hars way....just because some one calls a foul doesn't mean its a foul.

In other words they didnt know the rules as good as they thought they did. My advice to your son when in doubt a foul is legitimate or not is to stop the match and get the league operator on the phone for a ruling. That is if the other team are being azzhats....i let honest mistakes by the other teams calling fouls slide mostly because no one and i mean no one around here knows every rule in the book.

Yea i kmow what you mean about letting the other team know whats what. I had an incident one time where the other team called a loss because my player did not mark his pocket on the 8. It was two 6's playing and it was hill - hill.

I relented the loss after giving them a big dose of wtf yall trying to pull ? Neither player had marked the pocket the past 8 racks..

So we continued on with the rest of the matches and at the begining of the 4th match the other captain requested a replay for the 5th round in both 8 and 9 ball because they only had r olayers there. I didnt say anything at that time.

When it was time for the 5th match he called the same player who had previously callled the loss for not marking the pocket. I said he aint playing. Their captain said well who do tou want me to replay ? I said nobody cause i am callimg a forfeit and while i am at it i am letting you know yall gonna forfeit the last 9 ball also.

Well the while team got in an uoroar like i had callled rheir mamas every bad name i could think of. . then they went and grabbbdd the division rep which tried to change my mind in the name of sporstmanship which did no good. Then the captain got on the phone to the league operator and he must not have liked what the league operator told him cause he hung up amd grabbbed his cues and case and stormed out of the pool hall with out sayung a word to every one.

I did get to tell whim while he was packing that if he wanted to fvck my team over by throwing rules around he better get used to having them thrown right back at him.

Thats the only time i have ever refused to allow a team a replay and it was simply because they tried to fvck my team over .

I actually think they knew the rules and knew it was my son's first time by himself, otherwise I would've just let it slide. The problem is - they're in first and we were in second and now we're in third because of that. If we or them were dead last I wouldn't give a crap but they played it and they know it. In reality, I have already told my team I won't be playing much going forward so I may or may not ever see them (the other team) again but if I do and the situation arises they'll know that I know ;)