World Cup Of Pool (9-14 May2021) $250K Prizemoney

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So no China or Taiwan. Those teams, especially Taiwan, would have been among the favorites.

They have an interesting seeding process: They take half the teams and seed them, and the unseeded teams are randomly assigned to play one of the seeded teams in the first round. But I didn’t see the rankings of the seeded teams. Presumably the outside teams on the bracket - Austria, Netherlands, Spain, and Great Britain A are the top 4 seeds?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
So no China or Taiwan. Those teams, especially Taiwan, would have been among the favorites.

They have an interesting seeding process: They take half the teams and seed them, and the unseeded teams are randomly assigned to play one of the seeded teams in the first round. But I didn’t see the rankings of the seeded teams. Presumably the outside teams on the bracket - Austria, Netherlands, Spain, and Great Britain A are the top 4 seeds?
Yes, shame about China and Taiwan, but understandable given these times. Matchroom, as always, is still managing to deliver a premium pool product here and I look forward to watching.

The seeding method makes perfect sense. Having looked at the draw, I'd call it perfectly fair. Let the games begin.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, shame about China and Taiwan, but understandable given these times. Matchroom, as always, is still managing to deliver a premium pool product here and I look forward to watching.

The seeding method makes perfect sense. Having looked at the draw, I'd call it perfectly fair. Let the games begin.
With races to 7 in the beginning up to 11 in the final, 30-sec shot clock, and winner breaks (!), anything could happen. There are about 10 teams that could win this. Should be fun to watch, with lots of upsets.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
With races to 7 in the beginning up to 11 in the final, 30-sec shot clock, and winner breaks (!), anything could happen. There are about 10 teams that could win this. Should be fun to watch, with lots of upsets.
Agreed, this is a premium event that should provide some good theater.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seed # to the left of country name.
Surprised that the self destructing duo of Grabe/Magi are seeded in top 16 at #15 :ROFLMAO:

wcop seedings.JPG

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Well from what I understand, which I suppose is nothing more than rumour at this point, is that both Alex and John have opted out. If you were to look at the official Matchroom team listings, they still have Alex and some weird hybrid of John Stephen Holem...lol

None of the above will be playing.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well from what I understand, which I suppose is nothing more than rumour at this point, is that both Alex and John have opted out. If you were to look at the official Matchroom team listings, they still have Alex and some weird hybrid of John Stephen Holem...lol

None of the above will be playing.
I heard Morra dropped out. Didn’t know Alex did also. Word is that they would have to quarantine for two weeks in Canada after returning before they could return to the US or something like that, and John didn’t want to miss the Buffalos tournament and maybe some other tournament. Emily briefly talked about it in a interview a couple of days ago. She seemed pretty unhappy that with all the effort matchroom put in to make this tournament happen that the players have known for months about the travel restrictions and waited till the last minute to drop out.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I heard Morra dropped out. Didn’t know Alex did also. Word is that they would have to quarantine for two weeks in Canada after returning before they could return to the US or something like that, and John didn’t want to miss the Buffalos tournament and maybe some other tournament. Emily briefly talked about it in a interview a couple of days ago. She seemed pretty unhappy that with all the effort matchroom put in to make this tournament happen that the players have known for months about the travel restrictions and waited till the last minute to drop out.
That's my thoughts as well...

Again, I hope this doesn't effect Canada's inclusion in the future

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As usual, Emily is in the right here.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can understand it a year like this, with quarantine and that. it's not exactly next doors for them. i guess it's a rational decision, esp if they don't like their chances to win the cup

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom just announced Albania is out due to travel issues and being replaced by Alex Montpellier and Alan de Costa of France.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here little preview talk from matchroom:
Boyes and some other guy speculating(and interview of Billy Thorpe)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CAST CHANGES
Tom Theriault and Ben Francis have replaced Alex Pagulayan and John Morra for Canada
Petr Urban takes the place of Roman Hybler for Czech Republic
JJ Faul will take the place of Vincent Halliday for South Africa

Biggest pool event of year so far starts 7.5 hours from now 12noon London time/ 7am Eastern

sch.JPG

With dim lights, the arena does have a nightclubby look :ROFLMAO:

183370823_10159176804525115_3720936809745959936_n.jpg

Attachments

• 184240116_10159176804580115_6505397915911596247_n.jpg
    184240116_10159176804580115_6505397915911596247_n.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 84