Predator Pool Table?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This should be interesting...

BrownDawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
****Its double density carbon-steel provide the most powerful frame and legs. Re-machined pure Brazilian slate is optimised for a seamless roll and a new cushion rail design ensure a consistent response.
****Predator’s Stealth Design – an ultra-black matte surface finish – give the table a sleek and modern look, and super-flat pocket means nothing will get in the way of a player’s stroke.

Finally, a table not designed by a furniture maker!!!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
****Its double density carbon-steel provide the most powerful frame and legs. Re-machined pure Brazilian slate is optimised for a seamless roll and a new cushion rail design ensure a consistent response.
****Predator’s Stealth Design – an ultra-black matte surface finish – give the table a sleek and modern look, and super-flat pocket means nothing will get in the way of a player’s stroke.

I don't think the Anniversary, Centennial, Gold Crown, Diamond Pro Am, Rasson, Gabriels, etc were designed by furniture makers.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The big issue(s) will be parts availability and ease of service. Steel-framed tables up til now haven't offered much of either. All that verbiage is just your typical marketing-speak. As stated above most top commercial-grade pool tables have never been designed by furniture makers.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I don't think the Anniversary, Centennial, Gold Crown, Diamond Pro Am, Rasson, Gabriels, etc were designed by furniture makers.
Brunswick? Yeah, they were cabinet makers originally, made bars and carriages before pool tables :)

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Looooong before the tables I mentioned. I'm pretty sure the Gold Crown wasn't designed by a furniture maker.
I wonder who it actually was?? pretty sure there are things in the brunswick archives that lead me to an answer a very long time ago! :)

TFT

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Donald Deskey, the Interior Designer internationally renowned for his furniture designs, designed both the Anniversary table and the Centennial table.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Donald Deskey, the Interior Designer internationally renowned for his furniture designs, designed both the Anniversary table and the Centennial table.
Interesting. I stand corrected. Out of curiosity, did he design the aesthetics while an engineer of some sort designed the structure and construction?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. I stand corrected. Out of curiosity, did he design the aesthetics while an engineer of some sort designed the structure and construction?
I don't know lots about about him but I do know that he was the designer of record for the interior of The Radio City Music Hall when it was built in the early 1930s. His background was in interior design, furniture, lighting, space planning, etc., and his design practices apparently came from a "hands-on" design-build aesthetic. There is information out there and I think there may be a biographical study somewhere. Of the designs of his that I have seen, his style tended to be strongly influenced by the Art-Deco impact on the era.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, incidentally, somewhere in my reading in the past, the design of the Gold Crown table was accomplished over a three year period by a team of Mid-Century stylists and furniture designers. The table was a part of an effort to trendset away from the old image of pool into a new, clean, well lighted concept that promoted indoor activities. Bowling and Pool construction packages were a big part of the fleecing of the post WWII/Korean War middle class which was looking for new, family oriented forms of entertainment.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Donald Deskey, designed both the Anniversary table and the Centennial table.
THIS IS NOT TRUE AT ALL. PROVE IT

"The auction you found on google does not count."

I did research this and the only table he is known for designing for Brunswick is none of these. It was the Paramount and NOT any of the tables you mentioned.

TFT

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don Deskey was a pretty interesting dude, he is credited with designing the following Brunswick pool tables starting in 1937; Paramount, Centennial, and Anniversary. These high-end furniture restoration places dealing in vintage furniture give the designer first billing, below is a link to a Centennial that I thought was interesting, 40,000 bucks! FWIW Don Deskey was an architect as well, so plenty of engineering experience.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Don Deskey was a pretty interesting dude, he is credited with designing the following Brunswick pool tables starting in 1937; Paramount, Centennial, and Anniversary. These high-end furniture restoration places dealing in vintage furniture give the designer first billing, below is a link to a Centennial that I thought was interesting, 40,000 bucks! FWIW Don Deskey was an architect as well, so plenty of engineering experience.

that is an ad for an aution. :) There is no factual proof he designed either the anny or centennial and that is a FACT.

TFT

Brunswick THEMSELVES would surely advertise that such a great artist did such things. If you go to his branding website, its does in fact show a picture of the Paramount. Dig up the patents in the brunswick archives and you will see the names of the 2 gentlemen from Michigan that are listed there.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that is an ad for an aution. :) There is no factual proof he designed either the anny or centennial and that is a FACT.

TFT
I'm not presenting that as proof, the proof is all over the internet. Don't think these high-end furniture dealers are going to list the wrong designers.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

TFT

Brunswick THEMSELVES would surely advertise that such a great artist did such things. If you go to his branding website, its does in fact show a picture of the Paramount. Dig up the patents in the brunswick archives and you will see the names of the 2 gentlemen from Michigan that are listed there.
What says the names listed on the patent have to include the designer? Designed by Donald Deskey for Brunswick.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be my guess. By design i meant the guts(frame, rails, pockets, etc.). To me the look is more the 'style' of the table. I would think that B'wick had teams that did both, the inside construction and the outside style.