You have a ~14x18 room: 7, 8, or 8+ table?

sellingboe

Moving into new home soon and the 14x18 billiard room shrunk slightly to 13' 11" x 17' 10" after framing. I've been searching for a Gold Crown IV 8 Pro for playability and nostalgia, but am not finding anything in the Minneapolis area or even the Midwest states. I'll give it another month and if no success I'll order a new Diamond. I play with 58" cue, house cues 57". What size table do you have and how do you like its fit?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I have an oversized 8 (8.5'). I really like it. On one side (along the long rails, not where you break from) the 5' suggested exists, but it's from where the cushion meets the rail. My table has rails about 6" wide and with this I have about 8-10" total stroke room. I've not had a problem with it, nor has anyone who has played. No walls have been bumped. When you're talking straight, non angled shots across the table you don't really use a 10" stroke while the CB is frozen to the rail. Break shots are about the only shot where people get "wild," and this would only be an issue if you shoot with the CB frozen to the rail, instead of 2 diamonds up in the normal location.

I'd say you will be great with an 8'. Half an inch short on width and an inch short on length shouldn't really be an issue. If you end up having to put the table a bit off center, I'd suggest more room at the foot since there is usually a lot more play down there.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Moving into new home soon and the 14x18 billiard room shrunk slightly to 13' 11" x 17' 10" after framing. I've been searching for a Gold Crown IV 8 Pro for playability and nostalgia, but am not finding anything in the Minneapolis area or even the Midwest states. I'll give it another month and if no success I'll order a new Diamond. I play with 58" cue, house cues 57". What size table do you have and how do you like its fit?
You're so close just a few inches that I would just put in a 9-footer. Those walls will hardly ever come into play when they do is use the cue maybe 2 inches shorter.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This might give you some perspective. All of these measurements are for your room size (13' 11" x 17' 10"). Stroking Room assumes a level 59" cue (including bumper) perpendicular to the rail with its tip at the cushion nose.

pj
chgo

room size.jpg

Last edited:

Lonnie

I'd take your cue's length into consideration (and perhaps the potential cue length of your guests). A room+table that's fine for a 57 inch stick isn't necessarily fine for a 60 inch stick. It can be a gotcha that the charts might miss.

sellingboe

This might give you some perspective. All of these measurements are for your room size (13' 11" x 17' 10"). Stroking Room assumes a level 59" cue (including bumper) perpendicular to the rail with its tip at the cushion nose.

pj
chgo

View attachment 598425
I know all the math, have done it ad nauseum. I'm specifically looking for feedback from people with similar sized rooms to weigh in on how it feels. This thread got off the rails pretty quickly, but Black Balled is always good for a sarcastic quip. Always appreciated, but I'd really like to hear from similar size room owners. And yes, MiddleofNowhere, I wanted 9 in the worst way. But I'm not going pro and am quite content to relive my college years spent playing GC 9s by rehoning my skills on an 8 as long as it's a players' table. If I decide to play some local tournies or leagues, well they're all on Diamond 7s anyway. Thanks all.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know all the math, have done it ad nauseum. I'm specifically looking for feedback from people with similar sized rooms to weigh in on how it feels. This thread got off the rails pretty quickly, but Black Balled is always good for a sarcastic quip. Always appreciated, but I'd really like to hear from similar size room owners. And yes, MiddleofNowhere, I wanted 9 in the worst way. But I'm not going pro and am quite content to relive my college years spent playing GC 9s by rehoning my skills on an 8 as long as it's a players' table. If I decide to play some local tournies or leagues, well they're all on Diamond 7s anyway. Thanks all.
I got som more sarcasm:

My room is 15x a whole lot more; 15' is width. I sometimes bump cue butt on wall while shooting perpendicularly from rail. I'd say a 9' would be frustrating in your space.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I'm specifically looking for feedback from people with similar sized rooms to weigh in on how it feels. ...
The only table I have ever owned was in a 22x26' room. I have, however, played in cramped quarters, usually when I'm giving lessons on someone's home table. Many people with home tables don't seem to mind using a 52-inch cue a couple of times per rack or occasionally standing with one foot on the exercise machine. I know I hate it. No one here can tell you how you're going to feel about it.

Take a sheet of plywood to a pool room, set it up vertically close to the table, and figure out for yourself how it feels after a couple of hours.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The only table I have ever owned was in a 22x26' room. I have, however, played in cramped quarters, usually when I'm giving lessons on someone's home table. Many people with home tables don't seem to mind using a 52-inch cue a couple of times per rack or occasionally standing with one foot on the exercise machine. I know I hate it. No one here can tell you how you're going to feel about it.

Take a sheet of plywood to a pool room, set it up vertically close to the table, and figure out for yourself how it feels after a couple of hours.
Or get a table near the wall at the pool room and attach a yardstick to the butt of a stick with rubber bands, sticking out far enough behind to simulate your closer wall. That won't show you how comfortable it is to stand with the closer wall...

pj <- probably won't look all that weird
chgo