Has the Open Bridge Become More Popular

DieselPete

While players have always used open bridges sometimes, and some players used them a lot of the time (Sigel, as noted above, and others), I do feel that I see more top players using open bridges more often.

I have wondered if it is because so many top players are using carbon fiber/low deflection shafts and they don't feel a need to give the shaft the tighter control that they might with a shaft that deflects more.

chenjy9

I primarily use open bridge and typically only use closed bridge for situations where I feel like I need to secure the shaft more.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Old man here trying to get back to the game after 50+ years. Watching YouTube videos I see many of the tournament players now using an open bridge. Is the open bridge increasing in popularity?
Thanks
Yes, when I started playing pool 35 years ago, closed bridge was the preferred and open bridge as stop gap. Now, it's the opposite.

You'll also notice rules have changed, along with the cloth and popular pool stances.

chenjy9

Yes, when I started playing pool 35 years ago, closed bridge was the preferred and open bridge as stop gap. Now, it's the opposite.

You'll also notice rules have changed, along with the cloth and popular pool stances.
Reminds me of ping pong. I grew up learning the penhold and now everyone uses the Shakehand grip.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In "Winning Pocket Billiards" (1965), Mosconi shows the V bridge only for bridging over balls. In "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool" (1977), Ray Martin says that the closed bridge is used for 80% of shots, with special situations such as over a ball the other 20%. I think pool has changed in the 40+ years since. It is more like 50-50 now. Carom is nearly all closed bridges and snooker is nearly all open bridges.
I believe Allison stated she uses the open bridge about 85% of the time but that comment was made a number of years ago, today the figure may be less. Watching her early videos she used it more than in latter years.. But her mechanics are textbook!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is about what I saw when I was starting to play, the higher level players used closed bridges soon as they were able to make one properly. Now like with gloves and black shafts, the trend is for higher level players to also use things that only lower level players used to. 20 years ago if you saw someone with a black Cuetec shaft and a glove they were teased for being a noob, it was like having large glasses and a pocket protector LOL

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Are any pros selling a reputation for being one handed pool players?

Billiard literature indicates that was a major trend and surprise for pros against locals.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Took 3 days of lessons in Rockford, IL years ago and the instructors only allowed an open bridge, no discussion, no closed bridge ever!! Played their games for 3 days and went back to 70/30 closed/open bridge.
Personally, I would not be comfortable hitting a break shot, a power draw shot or any shot when applying significant side spin with an open bridge.

I mainly utilize an open bridge when having to place my bridge hand over an object ball, or for a shot with a reach of more than 14-15 inches from my bridge hand knuckles to the cue ball.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
for a break shot in 14.1 i prefer open with a pen grip

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Old man here trying to get back to the game after 50+ years. Watching YouTube videos I see many of the tournament players now using an open bridge. Is the open bridge increasing in popularity?
Thanks
Easier to see the tip. The back hand is the only thing that guides the straightness of the cue. Many think the closed bridge does something. I do not think so. I do not think the closed bridge does anything when only a millimeter of variance can change an outcome. To me, the closed bridge can not straighten out a stroke. Only the backhand, stance and being completely still on the forestroke.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it always been. Players like Sigel may use an open bridge like 30 or 40 percent of the time.
Spoke to him yesterday. Mike is sounding happy. He's always part of the “greatest ever” conversation and when he was out in front. Possibly the greatest front runner ever.

Open bridges work just fine, I’ve trended to use them more often than average myself. I like them on delicate shots. Which I think are more common now with faster equipment than 30-35 years ago. Slow cloth, 21 oz cues open bridges were not the correct idea. But now that we have fast equipment similar to snooker-well open bridges are ok.

my 3¢

Fatboy

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure the open hand bridge ever was decreased in popularity. I think every advanced pool player uses both loop-over/closed and open-hand bridge. I grew up watching Sigel and Rempe in the 80's, both of whom were open-hand heavy.
Really? I feel like the top players of the 1990s, when I first watched pro pool, used a closed bridge way more than the top players today. I don’t have statistics to back that up - I guess someone could look at videos and do some kind of analysis, but who wants to do that? - but it’s definitely my impression that there has been an increase in open bridge use.

If it is true, I wonder if it’s because most of the reasons they used to give for using closed bridges have been found to not be valid, things like better follow through.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Open bridge only, even for force shots with maximum spin, except when I need a more compact bridge near a rail or other balls. And my "closed" bridge is really just an open bridge on the next finger over with my index finger looped loosely over the shaft just for someplace to put it.

pj
chgo

Rusty in Montana

I use a closed bridge the majority of the time and as arthritis is getting worse in my hands I'm sure I'll switch over to the dark side ha ha .
When that does happen I'm thinking I'd bring out my old McDermott cue with the 13 1/2 mm shafts and keep playing , I'm a stubborn bugger ha ha
Around here most people are using a closed bridge that I see during our seniors league games .

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another old man here trying to relearn the game. I'm open 98 percent of the time and thats because arthritis has ruined my wrists and thumbs. It was closed 98 percent on the time 50 years ago. Adapt and overcome.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another old man here trying to relearn the game. I'm open 98 percent of the time and thats because arthritis has ruined my wrists and thumbs. It was closed 98 percent on the time 50 years ago. Adapt and overcome.
Don't hurt snooker players AT ALL. Do whatever works and doesn't hurt.