Has the Open Bridge Become More Popular

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Old man here trying to get back to the game after 50+ years. Watching YouTube videos I see many of the tournament players now using an open bridge. Is the open bridge increasing in popularity?
Thanks
 

justnum

Principal Investigator of Magic Trick Shots
Silver Member
Are you trying to cancel the use of an open bridge?

Its too challenging for beginners to make a bridge that takes finger strength.

Guitar players have fingering exercises.

Piano players know where their fingers are.


Pool players are still trying to control the ball after the shot using the force, magic or witchcraft.

With an open bridge you get +50 for spell casting.
 

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you trying to cancel the use of an open bridge?

Its too challenging for beginners to make a bridge that takes finger strength.

Guitar players have fingering exercises.

Piano players know where their fingers are.


Pool players are still trying to control the ball after the shot using the force, magic or witchcraft.

With an open bridge you get +50 for spell casting.
Again, PLEASE go away. You literally bring NOTHING to the table.
 

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Old man here trying to get back to the game after 50+ years. Watching YouTube videos I see many of the tournament players now using an open bridge. Is the open bridge increasing in popularity?
Thanks
Not sure the open hand bridge ever was decreased in popularity. I think every advanced pool player uses both loop-over/closed and open-hand bridge. I grew up watching Sigel and Rempe in the 80's, both of whom were open-hand heavy.
 

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Not sure the open hand bridge ever was decreased in popularity. I think every advanced pool player uses both loop-over/closed and open-hand bridge. I grew up watching Sigel and Rempe in the 80's, both of whom were open-hand heavy.
My apologies for grouping myself in this crowd, but I do switch to a close loop when the odd situation calls for it. Usually it's when I have an awkward CB just off the left hand rail. Too far off to bridge on the rail, and close enough that an open bridge has me jacked up on the ball.
 

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Old man here trying to get back to the game after 50+ years. Watching YouTube videos I see many of the tournament players now using an open bridge. Is the open bridge increasing in popularity?
Thanks
In "Winning Pocket Billiards" (1965), Mosconi shows the V bridge only for bridging over balls. In "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool" (1977), Ray Martin says that the closed bridge is used for 80% of shots, with special situations such as over a ball the other 20%. I think pool has changed in the 40+ years since. It is more like 50-50 now. Carom is nearly all closed bridges and snooker is nearly all open bridges.
 

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In "Winning Pocket Billiards" (1965), Mosconi shows the V bridge only for bridging over balls. In "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool" (1977), Ray Martin says that the closed bridge is used for 80% of shots, with special situations such as over a ball the other 20%. I think pool has changed in the 40+ years since. It is more like 50-50 now. Carom is nearly all closed bridges and snooker is nearly all open bridges.
when i watched Buddy back in late 70's/early 80's he used about 50/50.
 

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Took 3 days of lessons in Rockford, IL years ago and the instructors only allowed an open bridge, no discussion, no closed bridge ever!! Played their games for 3 days and went back to 70/30 closed/open bridge.
 

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Snooker cues taper would inhibit a closed bridge.
The sight line is interrupted by the closed bridge.
Power shots or off center hits with power do not require a closed bridge. Trump and O’Sullivan demonstrate this with exhibition shots. Collin shows an extremely powerful break using an open bridge.
My use of closed bridge has diminished greatly since I started studying snooker. I appreciate the uninterrupted sight line and the lack of contact with the top of the cue diminished the friction and need for a glove.
 

Greg M

Active member
Are you trying to cancel the use of an open bridge?

Its too challenging for beginners to make a bridge that takes finger strength.

Guitar players have fingering exercises.

Piano players know where their fingers are.


Pool players are still trying to control the ball after the shot using the force, magic or witchcraft.

With an open bridge you get +50 for spell casting.
Load of bollocks. The beginners I've played against tend to prefer open bridges.
 

Gear101

Active member
437% increase....
 

Attachments

  • ZomboMeme 20072021174906.jpg
    ZomboMeme 20072021174906.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 33

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Took 3 days of lessons in Rockford, IL years ago and the instructors only allowed an open bridge, no discussion, no closed bridge ever!! Played their games for 3 days and went back to 70/30 closed/open bridge.
Money on lessons well spent I suppose ;)
 
Top