Ball return versus drop pockets

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm still struggling with the notion that someone would refuse to play on a DP. So far the only advantage for BR is player time savings of what...?..., possibly 30sec a rack...?

I think I have played a handful of times on a BR table, and it usually costs me just as much time as a "manual" DP would realizing that I'm on a BR and I'm reaching into pockets feeling for something that's at the other end of the table...lol

So if we Pro/Con'd it....

Pro BR:
-time savings (although most places charge by the hour)
-???

Con BR:
-additional costs
-maintenance
-noise
-irritating based on game
-additional ball wear
-call overs by customers when it jams up and you're busy

DP:
-Take the top to categories and flip the pros with the cons

Seems like a complete no brainer to me. Why pay more for your equipment when the literally the only advantage is potentially getting your customers out the door sooner...lol

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Thought I'd add this because I actually experience a 9ft BR Diamond last night. First time on a BR in easily 20yrs....

Right out of the gate, as I remembered, I managed to stick my hand into two pockets before realizing it was indeed a BR. About 5 racks in, I thought to myself..., "maybe there's something to having a BR". As I did find it very convenient when just swinging at balls. The at about the 6th rack I lost 'my' chalk down the side pocket.

I don't play with expensive chalk but I do wear them in, in my own special way. Losing it was very annoying. Think I'll stick with BD

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball return. When they get stuck it’s usually because someone drops chalk into one of the pockets. 1 pocket is not the only game on the planet. Think about the rest of the games. 8 ball, nine ball? They benefit from ball returns. Only real advance I see from drop pockets is that if you are just shooting balls then you can throw them out from the pockets. Otherwise it’s roll down all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

1P is not the only game, it’s THE game:smile:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I could play it more. Especially these days.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

rishioo7

At the point when they stall out, it's normally on the grounds that somebody drops chalk into one of the pockets. 1 pocket isn't the main game on the planet. Consider the remainder of the games. 8 balls, nine-ball? They profit by ball returns. The main genuine development I see from drop pockets is that in the event that you are simply shooting balls, at that point you can toss them out from the pockets. Something else, it's moving down as far as possible.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
My home table had DP. I didn't like catching my nails on the leather netting so I changed to Returns.
Really cheap way and VERY easily to retrieve chalk, stuck balls are unheard of but still easily remedied. Ball dropping sound was same as DP & the ball rolling down the chute was almost nonexistent.
The only irritation is once a year the returns need dusting. End-Dust on a rag, slide it one end to the other, 2 sides and done in 1 minute.
What did I use? Home PVC rain gutters.
I used brown & really couldn't see it since it hid behind the apron board.
BUT IF that's a concern, wood tone contact paper is your friend.
Cost? Early 90s, under $15.00 total.

zz 0f.jpg

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball return is better when doing drills shooting into one pocket as the pocket doesn't fill up after 7 or so balls are in it.

L.S. Dennis

The older we get the more we appreciate ball returns. Also when drop pockets get full the more chance of a ball popping out when struck hard.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I wish I had saved the site, because now I can't find it. A while back I saw a table that had a shallow tray with handles something like the picture below where the balls returned. You just lift it out and put it on the table. I also wish I had paid better attention, but it was triangular and somehow you just put the rack around them and slid it off the tray.

1622754567512.png

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I had saved the site, because now I can't find it. A while back I saw a table that had a shallow tray with handles something like the picture below where the balls returned. You just lift it out and put it on the table. I also wish I had paid better attention, but it was triangular and somehow you just put the rack around them and slid it off the tray.

View attachment 597489
Its a Korean table brand that has this. There is a room in Atlanta I saw it for the first time. I have pictures of it somewhere, but can't remember the brand name now.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a Korean table brand that has this. There is a room in Atlanta I saw it for the first time. I have pictures of it somewhere, but can't remember the brand name now.
Could be KimSteel's but those aren't Korean. There was a spot in Atl. that had K'Steel's.

Last edited:

chenjy9

If I ever get a new table, it will have ball return. I am lazy and prefer not to walk around the table to retrieve balls or to have to get them out of pockets that are getting full.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I ever get a new table, it will have ball return. I am lazy and prefer not to walk around the table to retrieve balls or to have to get them out of pockets that are getting full.
Fine if you don't play 1p. Digging the balls out and having to put them somewhere gets old fast. GC's at least have storage slots but on a D'mond you have to get their wire rack.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Not a room owner here, but in process of acquiring ball return parts for my GC4. Dont mind drop pockets at all but like the option of the ball return, and if I hate it I can always put the drop pockets back in.

Fwiw I mainly play on Diamonds, except at my house. And I dont mind the ball return at all on the Pro-Ams.