The three foul rule ...

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
You break and then it happens ... the cue ball finds a pocket.
The other player gets ball in hand and you are on foul one.
He sets up a light tap shot that buries the object ball in three others.
The cue ball rolls to a spot that is impossible to even hit the object ball.

So what now ... do you shoot another foul hoping to break up the balls that have your object ball hidden?

Personally I think the three foul rule should be done away with.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Personally I think the three foul rule should be done away with.
The people who run pro events think differently, so you sort of have to live with it. It's also accepted by most (probably all) good players.

You may want to start working on your strategy. There is at least one tactic you don't mention.

Also, be aware that if there is no three foul rule, there has to be a stalemate rule.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If you're in a situation like this, after your opponent plays safe, it may be smart to intentionally foul and knock any blockers out of the way so it doesn't happen again. Luckily most sets are played in multiple games so even if you lose to a 3 foul, you may still have a chance. It definitely means you better be on guard from that point onward.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're in a situation like this, after your opponent plays safe, it may be smart to intentionally foul and knock any blockers out of the way so it doesn't happen again.
I was told early don't practice stuff that never comes up. Random ball control might seem to fall in that genre but in view of 3 foul stymies and the like, well worth the bother.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
A great game to play is an all safety game. Rack 9balls and break. If you make a ball it stays down. From then on the objective is to play legal safety shots only. You want to really lock your opponent up to get a ball in hand. Thats how you score points. Each ball in hand is one point. Race to 10 points or whatever. It'll help improve your safety play and 3-foul strategy. Plus, on a coin op table like the Diamond smart boxes, it saves a lot of money because you can play a long time on one rack of balls.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You break and then it happens ... the cue ball finds a pocket.
The other player gets ball in hand and you are on foul one.
He sets up a light tap shot that buries the object ball in three others.
The cue ball rolls to a spot that is impossible to even hit the object ball.

So what now ... do you shoot another foul hoping to break up the balls that have your object ball hidden?

Personally I think the three foul rule should be done away with.
Yes, if the hit is impossible, you will have to break up the cluster of balls so that your opponent can't do the same thing to you again. The third foul is always the toughest. Make them work for it. Sometimes you won't be able to do anything about the situation and you will lose the game.

You may want to do away with the rule, but remember: You started the scenario by scratching on the break. Make some changes in your break to lower the probability of a scratch. It'll help you in the long-run, anyway. Winning from the chair is hard.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The people who run pro events think differently, so you sort of have to live with it. It's also accepted by most (probably all) good players.

You may want to start working on your strategy. There is at least one tactic you don't mention.

Also, be aware that if there is no three foul rule, there has to be a stalemate rule.

Good answer Bob, I'd say it's harder to three foul a good player than it is to run a rack.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's leave that open for now. Anyone?
Sure. A couple of other options like --- illegally pocket a ball to get it out of the way since all illegally pocketed balls stay down. Another tactic is to hit the cb hard and disturb as much of the table as possible to change the position of as many balls as possible.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
My old basketball coach would point at something and say "who did that".
It's worked every single time I've used it!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You mostly have to move balls away from the target ball when taking your second foul. You might be able to tie up balls elsewhere to make the out more difficult, but you have to get balls away from the target. Fran's suggestion of causing a mass migration and hoping for clusters is not bad if you don't see anything else. Finally, you have to be ready to play a jump shot that lands on the surrounded target like the video here:
(Start at 1:45 if the link doesn't take you there automatically.)

BTW -- the rules do not provide for passing a shot. When it is your turn to shoot, you must shoot. Also, even if you want to, it is a mistake to just pass the shot. Move a ball or something.

Another point is that on Luong's second foul, he plays an intentional double hit. I don't think that should be a permitted shot.

Last edited: