Simonis Heads Up

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Pers
Whatever. When you get your fantasy tour started feel free to use slow cloth. I live in a very humid area and 860 gets REAL slow quick. ANDY988 after a week or so plays very nice.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it to much if I were you, unless you have a Fargo rate of 775 or higher you won't be competing anyway!!

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting hearing comments on how 860 gets slower after awhile. About a year and 4 months on my new Diamond prof, and my 860 just keeps getting faster. We play about 5 to 8 games a day on it. We do gave infloor heat, and also ducted heat and air,, where the table is, so that may account for it somewhat, but it definitely hasn't slowed.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever. When you get your fantasy tour started feel free to use slow cloth. I live in a very humid area and 860 gets REAL slow quick. ANDY988 after a week or so plays very nice.
We don’t disagree on much. I like you and respect you. But 860 never gets that slow, not even under water.

Compared to other cloth-yes your correct. Compared to 21oz Mali or Stevens(what ever the old shit was called) 860 is fast by any measure. But I’m going back 35 years. Damn near mud ball times.

best,
Fatboy 😀😀

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We don’t disagree on much. I like you and respect you. But 860 never gets that slow, not even under water.

Compared to other cloth-yes your correct. Compared to 21oz Mali or Stevens(what ever the old shit was called) 860 is fast by any measure. But I’m going back 35 years. Damn near mud ball times.

best,
Fatboy 😀😀
In Tulsa the humidity routinely hits 70+%(53% as i type this. Dry day in these parts). 860 gets pretty 'tardy' within a week or two of install. The Andy988 after the same amount of time plays just about perfect imo.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Tulsa the humidity routinely hits 70+%(53% as i type this. Dry day in these parts). 860 gets pretty 'tardy' within a week or two of install. The Andy988 after the same amount of time plays just about perfect imo.
I agree, the 860 in humidity isn’t too much fun. In Vegas I liked it, not as many skids. The atmospheric conditions are amplified by 860, not ideal. I like regular 860 more than HR. And green over blue by a mile. Blue has too much nylon in it.

PS: I like Ok a lot. Great place.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I agree, the 860 in humidity isn’t too much fun. In Vegas I liked it, not as many skids. The atmospheric conditions are amplified by 860, not ideal. I like regular 860 more than HR. And green over blue by a mile. Blue has too much nylon in it.

The funny thing is, the higher the wool content, the more the humidity is absorbed, therefore the 860HR is more humidity resistant because its wool/nylon blend is 70/30 whereas normal 860 id 90/10 wool/nylon weave. Simonis 760 is also 70/30 wool/nylon. HR seems to play fine in New Orleans where the humidity is regularly over 85-95% plus!

I think you guys have your numbers crossed on which cloth you're talking about!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

The only difference between the blue and green Simonis, is the dye, the wool/nylon blend of the 860 and 860HR don't change based on the dye color.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
All these opinions ... it's an easy thing to measure. One page that discusses how:

Not that I care a lot but real numbers might be interesting.

Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funny thing is, the higher the wool content, the more the humidity is absorbed, therefore the 860HR is more humidity resistant because its wool/nylon blend is 70/30 whereas normal 860 id 90/10 wool/nylon weave. Simonis 760 is also 70/30 wool/nylon. HR seems to play fine in New Orleans where the humidity is regularly over 85-95% plus!

I think you guys have your numbers crossed on which cloth you're talking about!!!!
That's what i said. I said 860 gets real slow in humid conditions and it does. I know which cloth i'm referring to. HR is fine but the 988Andy is even better. After about a month it plays perfect. Lasts just as long and is cheaper to boot.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That's what i said. I said 860 gets real slow in humid conditions and it does. I know which cloth i'm referring to. HR is fine but the 988Andy is even better. After about a month it plays perfect. Lasts just as long and is cheaper to boot.
And that's your opinion, not fact based. I've used the Andy988 cloth on some installs as well, and it didn't last a well as the Simonis it replaced.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Cloth is always open to interpretation by individuals, based on their location, the amount of play, and the type of players, and the skill level of the person doing the rating!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Cloth is always open to interpretation by individuals, based on their location, the amount of play, and the type of players, and the skill level of the person doing the rating!
The stimpmeter doesn't interpret or have opinions, it measures and is hard to argue with.

Dave

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The stimpmeter doesn't interpret or have opinions, it measures and is hard to argue with.

Dave
Which is why a Professional pool player won't complain about the playing conditions of a pool table, they'll just simply adjust their game to the conditions, whereas an amateur will complain and blame all their problems with their game, ON THE POOL TABLE!