Corner ball goes straight in every rack, WTF!!!

middleofnowhere

Registered
I'm watching the match being played on table 2 and every single rack the corner ball goes straight in. It's like the player is getting break and first shot.

Has this been discussed? Is that the nature of using that template rack, if that's the case and just throw that thing in the garbage and get out the wooden rack.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its nothing new. Good old 9 Ball. They'll soon toss the templates out and bring racks to test the players under new conditions.

LMFAO

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing has been said specifically over it that I've seen, but to me it is quite a good move.

Templates greatly increase the odds of making a ball on the break, and greatly reduce the amount of clusters, both of which lead to quicker matches. With a 256 player field, match times could quickly get out of hand and could potentially push scheduled matches hours, if not days. This is one way of ensuring matches stay on track at least until the 'dead money' is out of the way. Once the remaining players have been whittled down to the cream of the crop, they then go back to the old wooden rack and the games slow down considerably.

I think it is a brilliant idea.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Here was the post I made prior to the event. I believe it was to speed things up and also maybe to help MR's main attraction compensate for his breaking inexperience.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here was the post I made prior to the event. I believe it was to speed things up and also maybe to help MR's main attraction compensate for his breaking inexperience.
I was thinking the same. I'm sure they asked Boyes what would help this certain player, and simplifying the break would have been part of his answer. Anything that turns pool into more of a cueing technique competition, instead of testing all aspects of this game we've grown to love would help any snooker player.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'm watching the match being played on table 2 and every single rack the corner ball goes straight in. It's like the player is getting break and first shot.

Has this been discussed? Is that the nature of using that template rack, if that's the case and just throw that thing in the garbage and get out the wooden rack.

it happened in the old days, the infamous varner sigel match the corner ball went 21 straight times

middleofnowhere

Registered
it happened in the old days, the infamous varner sigel match the corner ball went 21 straight times
That's right and it wasn't supposed to be happening then either. Balls randomly scattered if something finds a hole or gets kicked in or collides and goes in that's fine that's what the break is supposed to be. But if the rack creates a trick shot and a dead ball every time that's not good.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That second part seems hard to believe. I think Trump only agreed to play about a week before the event.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
That's right and it wasn't supposed to be happening then either. Balls randomly scattered if something finds a hole or gets kicked in or collides and goes in that's fine that's what the break is supposed to be. But if the rack creates a trick shot and a dead ball every time that's not good.
thought your complaint was about the template rack, the sigel match they used wood rack.

what now, i make balls on the break pretty regularly no matter 8 or 9
with plastic and wood
am i not supposed to do that?

middleofnowhere

Registered
thought your complaint was about the template rack, the sigel match they used wood rack.

what now, i make balls on the break pretty regularly no matter 8 or 9
with plastic and wood
am i not supposed to do that?
When a table gets a little worn or even on new cloth it's possible for the balls to develop a rack pattern usually from dimples in the cloth where the balls keep falling the same way. Essentially setting up like a trick shot.

I can move three balls and make the nine go in if you're not looking close you wouldn't even notice what I did. Generally you take the rack out of the way you brush the rack area as good as you can and try and get it racking normal, you do the best you can.
Years ago when we were gambling you would see players walk up and check the rack. You think they're looking to be sure that the rack is tight, not really. These are mostly pretty worn out pool room tables.

What you're actually looking for are gaps, or maybe the rack is not perfectly straight because you can adjust where you break from and even break speed and cause balls to do certain things if the rack falls a certain way.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are on the right track, but you got the "main attraction" incorrect. Don't forget, this is the U.S. Open.

Statistics for online pool streaming show that American pool fans pay significantly less attention to any tournament where SVB does not win or end up among the final few players.

PPV streams can be especially bad in this regard, with some fans even demanding their money back if SVB doesn't win.

Matchroom is well aware that if it does not all but ensure SVB has the best possible chance of making to to the finals, their American viewership numbers will suffer.

You can look at the streaming stats for other past U.S. tournaments, if you have access to those numbers, and see CueSports International using a similar strategy throughout the years.

Is it fair to the other players to make breaking with a template rack 90% of the tournament? Not at all.

But when have the promoters ever cared about being fair? :oops:

Last edited:

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched that match. They were playing on a Brunswick table with 5" pockets, and the racking area was so worn in you have probably thrown the cue ball at the rack and made the wing ball.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are on the right track, but you got the "main attraction" incorrect. Don't forget, this is the U.S. Open.

Statistics for online pool streaming show that American pool fans pay significantly less attention to any tournament where SVB does not win or end up among the final few players.

PPV streams can be especially bad in this regard, with some fans even demanding their money back if SVB doesn't win.

Matchroom is well aware that if it does not all but ensure SVB has the best possible chance of making to to the finals, their American viewership numbers will suffer.

You can look at the streaming stats for other past U.S. tournaments, if you have access to those numbers, and see CueSports International using a similar strategy throughout the years.

Is it fair to the other players to make breaking with a template rack 90% of the tournament? Not at all.

But when have the promoters ever cared about being fair? :oops:
Some of your pool conspiracy theories are tin foil hat worthy. :ROFLMAO:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I've watched that match. They were playing on a Brunswick table with 5" pockets, and the racking area was so worn in you have probably thrown the cue ball at the rack and made the wing ball.

sounds like 9ball shouldnt be played at all then
open easier tables with no gaps from template rack that also makes a ball every break
worn out spots? like from being played on in a tournament? lol really?
wood rack that doesnt get perfect break that also makes balls every break

pool just cant win