US Open 9-ball updates thread..

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's similar to SVB being one of the best pool players in the world, but not getting anywhere in Chinese 8-ball.

Different strokes.
SVB hates Chinese 8 ball.
He told me he knows he can't win.
He got paid to be there....so he went.

BlueRaider

Registered
100% this. He looks like an ancient human cursed to forever wander the earth.
He really looks like he's miserable out there sometimes.

I've read about guys in other sports who actually come to hate the sports they play but they keep going because they are good and it's their source of income. Not saying Albin is one of them, but I would imagine there are some elite pool players who fall into that category.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

I've read about guys in other sports who actually come to hate the sports they play but they keep going because they are good and it's their source of income. Not saying Albin is one of them, but I would imagine there are some elite pool players who fall into that category.
Mike Sigel and Jean Balukas come to mind.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

I knew at least two major league players who could not wait to retire so they could just play golf .
One became a golf instructor. The other was Mike Scott of the Astros .

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I saw he's no Fargo 740. 640 would be more like it.
There's a lot of talk about how reliable Fargo is, yet there is a temptation to be dismissive when players play below their level.
Well the Trump run is over. I think he did just about as well as I expected.

Ran over 2 guys without a FR
Ran over over 1 guy that was 733
Got ran over by someone in the 800s
And went double hill with a guy rated 741
I agree, although I thought he might beat Jason Theron and then lose in the next round. One thing seems clear to me - while he was brought in by Matchroom to attract viewers and he didn't expect to win, he was 100% playing to win when he was at the table. He made some errors that anyone from any cue sport background shouldn't make - this was down to nerves and pressure. There were other situations where he just didn't know what shot to play - and while there is an argument there for just getting down and playing a shot, the fact that he appeared to be over-thinking things suggests that he was taking this seriously. I think we will see him again at a Matchroom pool tournament.

sunburn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Andre Agassi is one who came to hate his sport. He said he mostly played because of his father.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd Trump was just eliminated by a mid level pool player. The
From what I saw he's no Fargo 740. 640 would be more like it.
On the toughest
I would bet he's not the only millionaire in this event! Some of the "dead money" guys have very deep pockets, you can believe that. And people are knocking them on here too. You do make an interesting point about only two Americans winning this event in the last fifteen years. I can only speak for myself when I say I have no animosity for any pool players based on their nationality. There may be a couple I don't care for, but it has more to do with their character than anything else.
I think he means in pool earnings , but still
I guarantee you Shane makes money from Endorsements, way more than his earnings on the table? Trump made HIS million+ on a Snooker table! How many OTHER players in this event have earned a MILLION + on a pool table, and don't try throwing in career earnings either!
And he made over a million in one yr ,2018-2019 over 5 for his career and counting