Michigan Open (22-25 Sep 2021), 9ft, Winner $13K

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3rd leg of the CSI Predator 10 ball US Pro Billiard series starts today.

The Field
Only about 50 players in 64 player bracket
About half a dozen Fargo 800s only.
Some notable players- Gorst, Kaci, FSR, Yapp, Kazakis, Garcia, Sanjin, Chinahov, Kiamco,Grabe,Gomez, Thorsten, Morra, Mika.

Bracket
https://ctsondemand.com/mobilebracketviewer.aspx?BracketID=db7fdad0-e1e5-4138-8af1-7c92785b503f

Live Stream (starts 12noon EST)
Matches that will be Live Stream matches are usually those played on Table 1 (Refer table numbers in the brackets )

https://www.streamstak.com/billiardtv

Website
https://www.playcsipool.com/2021-michigan-open.html
https://www.facebook.com/probilliardseries/

Player Guide
https://1ebdc4c4-b27a-4cf1-899a-843...d/179e1c_07a5c32dccb24e2a993914e84e257509.pdf

Prizemoney
pm mich.JPG

Format
Stage 1
• 16 players seeded by US Pro Billiard Series rankings. Random draw for the remaining players. Seeding
for the first event of the season will be based on the players’ Fargo ratings.
• Double elimination to the final 16 players (8 on winners’ side & 8 on the one-loss side)
• Two sets, race to 4. If the set score is tied at 1-1 after two sets, a spot shot shootout will determine the
winner.
Stage 2
• Final 16 players from Stage 1. A new draw will determine the bracket placement (undefeated player vs one-loss side player). The order of the undefeated and one-loss players will be random.
• Single elimination
• Two sets, race to 4. If the set score is tied at 1-1 after two sets, a spot shot shootout will determine the winner.

Breaking
• Winner breaks. Lag for the opening break of the first set. The loser of the lag breaks first in the second
set.
• Rack your own using the triangle rack provided – opponents may not approach or inspect the rack
• Referee racks on the TV table – players may not approach or inspect the rack or ask for a re-rack

Shootout
If a set score is tied at 1-1 after two sets, a shootout will determine the winner. The goal is to pocket the object
ball in its designated pocket. To determine a winner the following system will be used:
• The winner of the lag at the start of the match decides the starting player of the shootout, alternating
turns thereafter. One turn by each player is an inning.
• The starting player determines the starting side from which the shootout will begin. Sides will
alternate thereafter for each inning.
• Players will play a race to four (4) points (i.e., four balls pocketed) in alternating turns. Both players get
an equal number of turns.
• Play will continue until one player reaches four (4) points and the opponent cannot tie in the same
inning.
• If both players tie at 4-4, the order of play will remain until a player reaches a score that cannot be tied
by his opponent in the same inning. This is called “Sudden Death.”

2021-uspbs-mi_orig.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The format reminds me of the old Challenge of Champions events promoted by Matt Braun in Vegas at the Mirage hotel. They played two races to five and if they split them one each, they would now play a one game shoot out. Many matches were decided by this one game. I tried to convince Matt to either go to a single race to seven or two out of three sets race to five. It was no use, he had his mind made up. He liked the drama of seeing them play one game for everything.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
US Open runner up and breakout star Aloysius Yapp v Warren Kiamco

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
32 international players and 19 US players. Seems like international players care more about the US Pro Billiards Series than American players do.
I'm not surprised.

They got their visa to come here and make money playing pool. That is a tough field for anybody to navigate. I looked but couldn't find entry fee but if you combine travel expenses, hotel, food , entry fee and the field I can understand why they only got 19 Americans. I do suspect some of those foreigners will soon discover there isn't much money in American pool and return home.

I wonder without the full field whether the promoter can break even.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not surprised.

They got their visa to come here and make money playing pool. That is a tough field for anybody to navigate. I looked but couldn't find entry fee but if you combine travel expenses, hotel, food , entry fee and the field I can understand why they only got 19 Americans. I do suspect some of those foreigners will soon discover there isn't much money in American pool and return home.

I wonder without the full field whether the promoter can break even.
So all of the Americans that played in the US Open must have been from the east coast?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Very strong field and good prize money. We should all be pleased by the abundance of good events in which to play in such a short period of time:

already completed or in progress .....

Texas Open 1-pocket
Texas Open 9-ball
Diamond 10-ball
World 10-ball
US Open
Michigan Open

and in October ....

American Straight Pool
International 1-pocket
International 9-ball
International Bigfoot 10-ball

In the period 8/23 - 10/30, that's ten good events for the top pros to play in.

Wishing the best of luck to all these fine players.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's no surprise they can't fill up the bracket.

The two races to 4 are a terrible format for professional pool.
Yes, it is an awful format and why most aren't going. You will have far more at the big SC event the week after than at this CSI event.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The format reminds me of the old Challenge of Champions events promoted by Matt Braun in Vegas at the Mirage hotel. They played two races to five and if they split them one each, they would now play a one game shoot out. Many matches were decided by this one game. I tried to convince Matt to either go to a single race to seven or two out of three sets race to five. It was no use, he had his mind made up.
Yeah, but the men played races to five in that event. Only the women played races to four. In both divisions, the tiebreaker was a single rack.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, but the men played races to five in that event. Only the women played races to four. In both divisions, the tiebreaker was a single rack.
Predator and CSI should take notes. A single-rack tiebreaker is much better, for both the players and the spectators, than shooting spot shots.

Unless they are deliberately trying to come up with the worst format possible.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The format reminds me of the old Challenge of Champions events promoted by Matt Braun in Vegas at the Mirage hotel. They played two races to five and if they split them one each, they would now play a one game shoot out. Many matches were decided by this one game. I tried to convince Matt to either go to a single race to seven or two out of three sets race to five. It was no use, he had his mind made up.
He really did have his mind made up. I’ve heard that many times. I like your idea Jay.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator and CSI should take notes. A single-rack tiebreaker is much better, for both the players and the spectators, than shooting spot shots.

Unless they are deliberately trying to come up with the worst format possible.
Spot shot sudden death is like “The Price is Right” with Bob Barker. Dumb show for dumb people.

great post penguin!
Best
Fatboy😀

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Michigan. I love seeing Jeremy Seaman compete against these guys. He’s amazing to watch in 8-ball on a short table and the guy is primarily a 9’ player. He’s got a pretty high FargoRate for a person not many talk about.