SVB vs Chang Update Thread

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The promoters may not have an obligation to the bettors, per say, but there is still an obligation to provide that which they are advertising.

What exactly did the PPV viewers just watch? A big money match, that was advertised for $40,000? An exhibition? Or something else?
Maybe exhibition who knows. Money is middle is apparently $80K. Omega often announce big money in their events
Which is why I always say tournaments are far credible and more enjoyable to watch. Give me a major tournament (without dead money) anytime over these long races with same 2 guys 30 hours over 3 days. Absurd. Towards the end of Day 3, racks were just super slow 15 minutes , 20 minutes per rack.
Both of them just made silly errors especially Day 3 which they would not normally make and I think due to fatigue (and also the tight 4.25 inch pockets). No doubt there were some out of this world shots (highlights worthy shots) but a big tournament with same number of hours will have far more awesome shots.
How can they expect players to play their best when they are tired, nothing much left in tank playing continuous 9 to 13 hours per day over 3 days? :LOL:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The promoters may not have an obligation to the bettors, per say, but there is still an obligation to provide that which they are advertising.

What exactly did the PPV viewers just watch? A big money match, that was advertised for $40,000? An exhibition? Or something else?
In theory yes absolutely you are correct. However in real life they have no control as they aren’t posting the $ nor can they force anyone to post.

They need to be responsible and make sure the money is actually posted not promised. That is their responsibility, but try getting that enforced.

I take it all with a grain of salt. Watch it played out knowing full well-I really don’t know what IS happening. I only know what I see in most matches and that’s not much. At the end of the day only 2 people really know what’s going on & they are holding cues. The rest is a dog & pony show.

long live the honor system,

Fatboy<——-not on the Board of Directors of the Pool Ethics Committee

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Maybe exhibition who knows. Money is middle is apparently $80K. Omega often announce big money in their events
Which is why I always say tournaments are far credible and more enjoyable to watch. Give me a major tournament (without dead money) anytime over these long races with same 2 guys 30 hours over 3 days. Absurd. Towards the end of Day 3, racks were just super slow 15 minutes , 20 minutes per rack.
Both of them just made silly errors especially Day 3 which they would not normally make and I think due to fatigue (and also the tight 4.25 inch pockets). No doubt there were some out of this world shots (highlights worthy shots) but a big tournament with same number of hours will have far more awesome shots.
How can they expect players to play their best when they are tired, nothing much left in tank playing continuous 9 to 13 hours per day over 3 days? :LOL:
That's the whole point. Just like the infamous Efren comeback against Earl in the Color of Money match in Hong Kong. Earl had it in the bag, then faded just as Efren hit a gear and came back from like 20 down to edge him out. High drama, awesome show. Fatigue is a huge factor, and part of the game in this format. It's a marathon with intermittent sprints.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless they agreed to chop and are playing for the extra ppv this will generate. Also, anything can happen in a race to 5 and I'm sure the amount of focus that it took for Shane to bear down like that is immense. He may have been on fumes...

Jaden
I would be interested in knowing if the extended set was discussed between the players.

Did an exchange between appear on the stream? Did somebody else tell them they we going longer?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who wants to play a race to 6 for this kind of money!
Correct. Race to 5 like a Mosconi Cup match. Except this is for $80K.
Folks have to put themselves in the players shoes in that moment. Talk is cheap. This is 4.25 inch table which is not so easy to B&R. Chang actually broke better than Shane putting on 2 packs of 7. On final stretch on Day 3 while Shane broke better he was still not able to put together big packs something would crop up and he would not have good shot on 1. At 115-115, after Shane broke he had to push out the 1 but gave Chang a long shot (which Chang potted when he took the shot after they agreed on another race to 40). If Shane was breaking superb super confident and running packs, obviously he would not have agreed to another race to 40.
Dennis and Shane in their hill hill match would have chosen another new race to 40 instead of race to 1. Because to them race to 1 is coin flip whereas race to 40 is not (cos of both of them think they are better and can win race to 40 through their skill than by coin flip) :ROFLMAO:

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy<——-not on the Board of Directors of the Pool Ethics Committee
We all know there is almost zero ethics in pool.

But bad, or irresponsible, promoters are making it that much harder for the few good promoters to succeed.

If you really want pool in the USA to improve, how about not supporting a bad product?

Unless you prefer a bad product.

❓

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all know there is almost zero ethics in pool.

But bad, or irresponsible, promoters are making it that much harder for the few good promoters to succeed.

If you really want pool in the USA to improve, how about not supporting a bad product?

Unless you prefer a bad product.

❓
I agree.

But as we know greed and recklessness are huge parts of pool.

The streamers and their “match bills” for lack of a better term-like a fight card for boxing/mma are all sizzle with short sightedness. In their defense all they have is the “word or guarantee” of the players and stake horses.

Who to make responsible for what? Sounds like a perpetual mess, similar to politics.

In Nevada they have the Nevada State athletic commission to over see the integrity of contact sports. Pool can hardly afford that. Or anything remotely similar.

Seems we are stuck with what we have. Believe what you will, it’s too bad it’s not a bit more honorable. But it isn’t and not likely to become that way.

enjoy the show, best I can do. And toss out a trivial bet for fun now and then.

best
Fatboy

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a difficult situation for all and likely only benefits the players and the streamers...and the staff at the poolroom.

Correction:
It is a difficult situation for all and likely only benefits ONE player and the streamers...and the staff at the poolroom.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a difficult situation for all and likely only benefits the players and the streamers...and the staff at the poolroom.

Correction:
It is a difficult situation for all and likely only benefits ONE player and the streamers...and the staff at the poolroom.
It can benefit both players. Usually does. That’s the real bad part. I’m not touching on this anymore.

good points,

best regards
Fatboy

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No momentum, the momentum have switched side all the 3 days long, and if Shane would have refused the proposition, he would have created a pressure on himself, be sure of that.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are all responsible. People get to vote with their money.

Want to make a bad product disappear? Don't buy it.
In theory-yes

in practical terms-I doubt they would notice and drop off in viewers. They are already in a bad spot-which feeds the problem. Their desire to “grow” feeds the bullshit machine

Somethings in life aren’t meant to be packaged, delivered and monetized. I believe gambling on pool is one of those things. It’s private biz amongst the gamblers and players. If someone happens to watch-great. But they are not a parry to the transaction. And should just watch.

long before “camera/media” pool we were in action everyday. It worked just fine with out all this noise. I’m a gambler, I don’t even want the attention. That’s another sad topic-social currency whores wanting to be exhibitionists.

best Fatboy