Interesting pool story in the news

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It says, according to your data and god knows we know you are 110% always right, that if you want to make a living in pool, you better be in the top 20.
Why don't you take a look at the top tournament money leader board for all the tournament players, then get back to me when you see how much the 20th player on the list has earned year to date😉

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
So, what you saying is that people who dedicate themselves to pool are bums, and that you are better than them because you make 2nd tier cues?
When I staked a guy, our week ran from Thursday evening to Sunday evening. If he was out of the tournament sooner we tried to match up. Our tournament and side matches were 50/50 and I ate the expenses. I've mentioned before the reasons for doing so.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being a pool player just falls into the same category as many many pursuits. Want to be an artist, stand up comedian, actor, writer, musician, animal breeder, farmer, activist, beekeeper and almost any athlete. I could go on and probably list a thousand professions that have very little possability of financial rewards. Are all these people all bums?
In my opinion they are not bums, and that is why I had a problem with JC categorization.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In my opinion they are not bums, and that is why I had a problem with JC categorization.
So you just accept all the alcoholics, drug abuse, and criminal activities associated with a lot of American pool players as just normal daily pool activities?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If drug testing was a requirement in order to play in the US Open 9B event, at least half the American players would be disqualified!!!

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you just accept all the alcoholics, drug abuse, and criminal activities associated with a lot of American pool players as just normal daily pool activities?
Put a strawman and then fight against it, like you are doing here. Go back, read the post by JC that started it all and then get back to me.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Why don't you take a look at the top tournament money leader board for all the tournament players, then get back to me when you see how much the 20th player on the list has earned year to date😉
23,600 billy Thorpe. Now what?

source is az homepage

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
In my opinion someone who wants to get a sponsorship in any sort of sport has to be dedicated, focused and behave like a genuine athlete. There might be some exceptions in the American pool scene, but it's totally different in Europe. Look at all the European top players. They are athletes, but not necessarily fitness-wise. They are highly professional in practice and in tournaments ON and OFF the table. This professionalism is exactly what it takes to get sponsorships in Europe (besides some other minor factors).
You have to be profitable for a sponsor and represent their brand as good as you can. The best examples I have in mind are the Ouschans. Albin and Jasmin are sponsored by their home county and other local businesses from Klagenfurt. They don't take it for granted though. They regularly mention their sponsors on their social media platforms, do collaborations with them and so on.
As an actual athlete you have to work with your sponsors, it's a give and take and it certainly is a lot of work besides just playing pool. Maybe a lot of other players don't want to put in that extra work or don't want to take that kind of responsibility. Just look at the online presence of the top European players in comparison to American players. European players advertise themselves, they keep their followers updated and they are grateful for what they do. For me THAT's the difference in American and European pool these days.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mario who?

"mario he" is his name. multiple eurotour and world cup winner from austria. was due to play on the mosconi cup team but got cancelled out that year because of failed drug test. it was completely innocent in his case, some blood pressure meds or something.

i think in most other cases it's usually alcohol.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
"mario he" is his name. multiple eurotour and world cup winner from austria. was due to play on the mosconi cup team but got cancelled out that year because of failed drug test. it was completely innocent in his case, some blood pressure meds or something.

i think in most other cases it's usually alcohol.
I've talked to a lot of players about drug testing, and the biggest responses I get are, "you're not testing for weed, right, because its legal"

Ahhhh, no, its NOT legal worldwide!!

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like they are having similar issues as us....young players can make more money hustling/ playing money games than they can playing for the national team in international tournaments.

I wonder if that gambling culture is prevalent in other Asian countries(China, Taiwan, Korea, etc. )...One of my good buddies was stationed in Korea in the early -mid 90's. He said there was pool action
Tough tough tough

Last edited:

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Less than $2k a month at that rate, McDonald's workers get paid more, thats the point, and don't have to pay an entry fee to go to work, just to try and earn it back!!
Sounds like a bad career choice. Am I expected to feel bad for these choices and therefore I should give them my hard earned money?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sounds like a bad career choice. Am I expected to feel bad for these choices and therefore I should give them my hard earned money?
Absolutely not, but while everyone praises Matchroom and Predator for doing so much to help pool, those very same people should be asking themselves where's all the money going if they're doing such a good job of helping pools future, because I can tell you where it's NOT going, and that's to the players that SELL their products and services, without them, they don't have shit to offer!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Way too much bullshit on this thread for me to even begin to respond. I will only say this. That with all it's blemishes and problems the world of the pro pool player is looking better now than at any time before in my lifetime. The paydays are becoming more frequent and bigger. You don't have to be a genius to see that. Along with the added exposure for the sport overall, will come more endorsement and sponsorship opportunities for good players, and that will stretch beyond the top twenty. Okay, I'm done.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The related billiards article cited at the bottom of that web-page is also well worth reading. It fully dimensionalizes the situation (and amount of opportunities) confronting top-level Filipino players:

"Win or don’t eat: PH’s poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars
Billiards drive to find fresh talents ‘futile’ "

https://sports.inquirer.net/60020/billiards-drive-to-find-fresh-talents-futile

Arnaldo
Perry Mariano is a long time friend of mine. He is a good man who has dedicated much of his time and money to supporting the pool industy in the Philippines. Dennis Orcollo would have never made it over here without his support!

One other unsung hero of pool in the Philippines is a wealthy businessman named Sebastian Chua, who created Star Billiards, a huge pool complex on his company property in Quezon City. All aspiring players can practice free of charge all day and well into the night on the 30 or so high quality pool tables set up there. Chua also provides them with free refreshments. He does this for no other reason than to give the players an affordable place to hone their skills playing against each other. He asks for nothing in return. I've been there a few times and met Mr. Chua. There is nothing like this in the USA! It is the defacto training ground for pool players in the Philippines.

I salute these men and others like Mr. Puyat for creating an enviroment that has fostered and encouraged so many young men in their journey to become professional pool players. EVERY filipino champion you see who is playing successfully now has been supported and aided by these men.