People bitching about 7’ tables

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Well, seems that there is a rumer going around, for a number of years actually that
some kid from South Dakota grew-up playing on 7' tables and kinda got his start as a pro
shooting on Bar tables. Name escapes me at the moment but I think ya might know
who he is. Still shoots lights out on'em last I saw too.

hank

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll say the Diamond bar boxes are tough tables, but still no match for the 9' tables.

I can't consider the Diamond seven footer a barbox. The 'boxes are just that, no real frame, no way to level the bed other than fighting with wedges. My barbox got wet in Ida and melted! Primary building material used for that old Valley was wafer board. A Diamond seven footer has a frame, leveling set-up like it's big brother, and so on. Top flight all the way. If I would have to guess I would say that about 80% of shots are the same distance on a seven foot Diamond or nine footer. I would prefer a ten footer, a nine footer would do, but if I could only afford or fit a seven foot Diamond in my home I wouldn't consider it that much of a handicap. Probably four and a quarter corner pockets and side pockets to match and be happy. Don't know if I can find such a beast but if I have to buy seven foot again I may hunt a seven foot snooker table, maybe a chinese eight ball table not made in china!

Hu

PracticeChampion

tone is a tad caustic, expecially for a message calling for "love" and "support".

imo, the only thing that has been worse for pool than 7' tables is crappy leagues.
League's bring in new players and pool needs players.

If every bar or pool hall took away 7' tables there would be nearly no tables for anyone and most buildings don't have the room for more than a handful of 9' tables

JuanM

League's bring in new players and pool needs players.

If every bar or pool hall took away 7' tables there would be nearly no tables for anyone and most buildings don't have the room for more than a handful of 9' tables
i had no idea. Guess we might as well just embrace the inevitable then...

med_pool_table_52663_4_.jpg

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't consider the Diamond seven footer a barbox. The 'boxes are just that, no real frame, no way to level the bed other than fighting with wedges. My barbox got wet in Ida and melted! Primary building material used for that old Valley was wafer board. A Diamond seven footer has a frame, leveling set-up like it's big brother, and so on. Top flight all the way. If I would have to guess I would say that about 80% of shots are the same distance on a seven foot Diamond or nine footer. I would prefer a ten footer, a nine footer would do, but if I could only afford or fit a seven foot Diamond in my home I wouldn't consider it that much of a handicap. Probably four and a quarter corner pockets and side pockets to match and be happy. Don't know if I can find such a beast but if I have to buy seven foot again I may hunt a seven foot snooker table, maybe a chinese eight ball table not made in china!

Hu
Come to Buffalo’s, we can play some on the 10’er.

KS25-06

I started shooting pool in 1964 when I started college at FT Hays State, Ks. place called the Golden Cue had 12 9' tables.. Worked there for 1&1/2 yrs. When I would go home, played on bar tables. Had no problem switching back and forth. I read some where that it took 27 balls on a 9' table to have the same amount of congestion as 15 on a 7' table. If this is true, it appear to be harder to play on a bar table. For many of us in rural areas bar tables are all we have to play on. Seems I read that a pro who played on 9' tables tried to hustle a top Mexican player on a bar table and got his head handed to him. If what I read in books about learning and playing pool are true, why are bar tables looked at as inferior to 9's?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Everybody knows Efren can't shoot on a bar box, right?

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had the room I would have both. Since I can only have one though I love my 9ft. To be honest if I could fit a 10 foot width wise I probably would have sprung for a 10 ft table. I agree though nothing wrong with 7's. I enjoy playing on them.
My dream home room is a snooker, 9' and 7'
Would fit, with room to spare, in a 24'x32' building/deep garage style room.

7_9_12.png

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dream home room is a snooker, 9' and 7'
Would fit, with room to spare, in a 24'x32' building/deep garage style room.

View attachment 610861
Howdy;

I, at one time, was planning to build a dwelling what type you may ask? Well I was focused in on a
Pole barn style. Zero load-bearing walls required so you could theoretically have no wall or columns
to get in the way. Wife, at the time, heard barn and thought we'd be livin' with the critters. chuckle

hank

sellingboe

Shit I play on everything, because I'm a pool player. I enjoy 7 foot sometimes, I have a 8foot at home, and I love shooting on a 9... To each is there own but I just really enjoy pool in general.
You said it my friend. A day at a table, 7 or 8 or 9, is better than doing yard work or painting a room in the house or just sitting outside and having a cocktail. Once the idea (or window of opportunity) of going pro dissipates, then the purpose of playing takes on new meaning. I play chess and pool to stay sharp. Both require similar mental skill sets, but pool adds the physical dimension of execution. I have 8 at home but alternate between 7 and 9 when I go to a hall to play. Same games, different game, depending on the table. As for the pros, I don't watch a ton of pro tournaments. Do they bitch about table size or do they adjust and then......play? A wise man once said, "It's hard for me to imagine that pool players would bitch about anything." Nuff said.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
You said it my friend. A day at a table, 7 or 8 or 9, is better than doing yard work or painting a room in the house or just sitting outside and having a cocktail. Once the idea (or window of opportunity) of going pro dissipates, then the purpose of playing takes on new meaning. I play chess and pool to stay sharp. Both require similar mental skill sets, but pool adds the physical dimension of execution. I have 8 at home but alternate between 7 and 9 when I go to a hall to play. Same games, different game, depending on the table. As for the pros, I don't watch a ton of pro tournaments. Do they bitch about table size or do they adjust and then......play? A wise man once said, "It's hard for me to imagine that pool players would bitch about anything." Nuff said.

This is one of the best reads Ive had in awhile! Thank you for agreeing and seeing the beauty of the sport/game, people loose site of that sometimes. Some of the best days were being addicted and hooked by the game when you first start, not worrying about anything but enjoying the sound and obeisance of every little detail, just pocketing balls. If the game doesn't bring you drive and even more important, smiles, then your doing the wrong thing in my opinion, or for the wrong reasons. Funny how you brought up chess, I love it and compare it to 8 ball a lot or even one pocket, always thinking three or moves ahead. Shoot good, shoot straight my friend!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play on whatever table gives you pleasure and a sense of satisfaction.
7’ pool tables don’t provide that for many of us so we just avoid them.

When you walk into a pool hall with 9’ & 7’ tables, why even play on 7’?
People that ask for 7’ table when 9’ tables are open want an easier table.

The only other reason that comes to mind is they are league players and
want to practice on tables they compete on. The fact is 9’ tables are harder.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play on whatever table gives you pleasure and a sense of satisfaction.
7’ pool tables don’t provide that for many of us so we just avoid them.

When you walk into a pool hall with 9’ & 7’ tables, why even play on 7’?

You should have stopped at the first paragraph. That said it all. Live and let live instead of the constant belittling of people just because of the size of table they prefer.

sellingboe

So which is it? They want an easier table or they want to practice on tables they play league on? I could go on, but what's the point.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing pool on a 7’ table is like playing basketball with a 8’ tall basket you’ll find at some elementary schools.
You shoot baskets & might even dunk it if you’re tall enough but then go play with 10’ baskets. It ain’t the same.
But it’s definitely the trend for leagues & becoming more popular, plus more tables fit in the same space as before.
Bar boxes saved pool, look at all the apa and bca leagues. There are more bars than pool halls. Lots of bar players , lot of towns don’t even have pool halls but most all have bars.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So which is it? They want an easier table or they want to practice on tables they play league on? I could go on, but what's the point.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov
Don’t you realize you are concurring with my post. The outcome is the same with either of the answers.
They might choose to practice on an easier” 7’ table because their league uses them. But practicing on
harder tables makes your game get a lot better when you go play on easier tables so why not choose a 9’?

A large segment play on both, largely of leagues being popular but everyone should have a table preference.
For me, I want the hardest table Imaginable. A 10’ table with 4.5” CP is a daunting pool table that will really
overpower weaker players. I’d even prefer tighter CP pockets (4.25”). Now that’s a table would test your skills.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t you realize you are concurring with my post. The outcome is the same with either of the answers.
They might choose to practice on an easier” 7’ table because their league uses them. But practicing on
harder tables makes your game get a lot better when you go play on easier tables so why not choose a 9’?

A large segment play on both, largely of leagues being popular but everyone should have a table preference.
For me, I want the hardest table Imaginable. A 10’ table with 4.5” CP is a daunting pool table that will really
overpower weaker players. I’d even prefer tighter CP pockets (4.25”). Now that’s a table would test your skills.
If there is a nine foot available. I know of one in a 30 miles radius of me. Not driving to Toledo to play on a 9 foot

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there is a nine foot available. I know of one in a 30 miles radius of me. Not driving to Toledo to play on a 9 foot
buckshotshoey, Howdy;

I can go to the nearest town that's larger then the village I dwell outside of so, 25 miles to
Truth or Consequences, N.M. There is 1 9 footer at the Community Center (open from 8:00am
to 3:00 pm), or I can go to my local VFW post only 21 miles for my choise of 7' tables. Now,
if I want to shoot on 9 footers I can go to the Olhausen store in Las Cruces that's 61 or 2 miles
an hours drive or I can elect to go to Mission Billiards in Alamogordo, NM and that at roughly
124 miles and a 2 hour drive going past White Sands NP. Don't forget, I have to drive back too.
"Suck it up Buttercup", you got it easy where you are.

hank