Judd Trump says he'll give pool another try

gerryf

That makes no sense at all...Matchroom want to promote pool, so the last thing they would want is to show its 'inferior'!!!!

They brought Judd across as they knew it would generate interest in the UK media (which it did).

His match against Jayson Shaw was essentially the dream for them, as it showed how a top level pool pro has a significant edge and not even a World class snooker pro can just turn up and win.
...and with what happened to Trump this year, there will be a lot more interest in next year's UK Open.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and with what happened to Trump this year, there will be a lot more interest in next year's UK Open.
Yep absolutely, there were plenty of snooker pro's and UK based fans commenting on Twitter, so I think the only question is how quickly it gets filled up!

Barring any disaster's I don't think its too brave to already suggest that the prize fund should increase significantly for 2023....

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Rocket tried to play pool years ago and I don't believe ever won an event or even placed. The same will go for Judd. They make so much at Snooker Payouts over $300,00 US Dollars it does not make sense to concentrate or put in as much practice as they would need to for pool. Switching cues etc. I am surprised that Judd having a net worth around 10 million has to borrow a stick and the fiasco with self proclaimed tv star Karl Boyes dropping out. I watch Lots of UK Snooker and Rocket and Judd are my favorite players. Oh Yea Higgi as I call him too.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! That was entertaining.

It was interesting!

Although English Pool / UK 8-Ball is the game I grew up playing, I don't really watch much of it (despite the fact that here in the UK its now shown almost every day on Freesports or streamed online), but I thought it was worth watching these two!

That final 6 red shootout thing was a bit odd, exciting, but a bit unfair, as they got no credit for winning their first 2 matches 4-0!!

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was interesting!

Although English Pool / UK 8-Ball is the game I grew up playing, I don't really watch much of it (despite the fact that here in the UK its now shown almost every day on Freesports or streamed online), but I thought it was worth watching these two!

That final 6 red shootout thing was a bit odd, exciting, but a bit unfair, as they got no credit for winning their first 2 matches 4-0!!
I find it much more watchable with the new rules and the faster cloth. Yes the 6 red shootout is certainly a bit different and the format is brutal, but at the end of the day it's a fast-paced "turbo" format. I actually prefer any kind of decider over a count back in round robin.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it much more watchable with the new rules and the faster cloth. Yes the 6 red shootout is certainly a bit different and the format is brutal, but at the end of the day it's a fast-paced "turbo" format. I actually prefer any kind of decider over a count back in round robin.

It definitely got people talking on social media too, so all good for the game (still not convinced about the grey cloth colour though)!!!

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It definitely got people talking on social media too, so all good for the game (still not convinced about the grey cloth colour though)!!!
I'm a big fan of powder blue, so grey isn't too much of a stretch. But yeh I agree, for TV American pool moved from green to blue yonks ago, and British pool has finally caught up. "Tournament blue" is in my opinion the best colour for TV while still being a more than good enough colour for those who are actually there. I think they have gone grey just to have a unique selling point - and it's an ok colour.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a big fan of powder blue, so grey isn't too much of a stretch. But yeh I agree, for TV American pool moved from green to blue yonks ago, and British pool has finally caught up. "Tournament blue" is in my opinion the best colour for TV while still being a more than good enough colour for those who are actually there. I think they have gone grey just to have a unique selling point - and it's an ok colour.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree...although I do like traditional green for snooker!

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Agreed 100%.
so true, BUT
Put Jason Shaw on a 12ft table with small balls and no diamonds on the rail and i would bet he won't do well either.
Twas fun seeing JT at the open, but I don't want to see him sinking hrs of time to work the speed /angles/spin/rules of pool games. That would only hurt his Snooker game for practically no financial benefit.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
so true, BUT
Put Jason Shaw on a 12ft table with small balls and no diamonds on the rail and i would bet he won't do well either.
Clearly so. The transition from pool to snooker is even tougher than the other way round. We've seen snooker players like Mark Grey and Marlon Manalo make the transition from snooker and each was very successful at pool. We haven't seen a top pool player switch to snooker and become one of snooker's elite yet.

telinoz

Registered
New Interview, really setting a big goal to be #1 in both Snooker and Pool.

Extract:

Trump travelled to Atlantic City to compete in the US Open 9-ball last month. The Bristolian fared well, winning three matches before being knocked out in a deciding frame at the double elimination event. He says he plans to return to the small table at some point and harbours ambitions of becoming the best in the world across two cue sport disciplines. Trump also believes that the USA could be a potential market for snooker to branch into.

“It was really good fun. It was a different experience. To get out there and play in front of some American fans. It is a game I’m not used to, but I wanted to go out there and promote myself. I was trying to take cue sports to a different audience, promote both of them at the same time and get my name out there. I’d like to have a big snooker tournament out there in the future. There was a lot more interest and recognition than I thought there would be from the pool fans. I hope we can keep building the game out in America.

“The attention span is a lot shorter than for the European people. The game needs more quickfire matches and perhaps it needs to be invitational to start with to grow the game. If the top players like myself, Ronnie and the more attacking players go out there then I certainly think there is a market for us in the future.

“I’ll go away and concentrate on my snooker, I will never let it get in the way of that. If there is a way I can combine the two of them I will. I can put my work in at snooker and maybe after that put in an hour or two at pool as well. If I can try to get to number one in the world at both sports, it would be amazing for me. It is just about setting myself new challenges all of the time. If I can make my name in pool as well, it will benefit snooker. There is a completely different crowd and market in pool. There were people from all over the world there. That is something that snooker needs to get into and get top players from all parts of the world.”

Full typed interview and link to the 12 min Vid on YouTube: