People bitching about 7’ tables

BlueRaider

Registered
For me its not so much the size as the tables themselves. Almost all the 8fts in the DFW area are/were cheaper B'wicks or Imperials, nothing close to a GC. A Pro8 GC is a great table.
8' Diamonds play really good but they're extremely rare. But yeah, generally 8' tables are of the furniture table variety and of questionable quality.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Yeah, I'm aware of the flood thing, I just didnt know what the typical stance was on hurricanes as we have tornados up here but no hurricanes. To simplify if you have damage from rain and wind you should be protected even without flood insurance??
Generally correct, but again, read your insurance policy to verify the exact details as they can and will vary a little, and on rarer occasion a lot, from state to state (the state regulates what can, can't, must, and must not but be included in all insurance policies sold in their state and each state determines their own stipulations), and to a lesser extent by the individual insurance companies within the state exercising what little leeway the state may have allowed them to have in their policies (same thing here, most policies from all insurers within a state tend to be very similar but there can be small differences and on rarer occasions more major ones if it is one of the rarer things the state is allowing more latitude with).

While there are other parts of the coverage of your homeowner's policy (liability, living expenses, etc, etc), the following should help you to better understand the two biggest/most used portions of your homeowner's coverage, your dwelling coverage (the physical structure of your home itself), and your personal property coverage (all you personal property belongings such as your furniture, your pool cues, etc, which by the way are generally covered not just inside the home but regardless of where they are located anywhere in the world) when you go to read your policy (and of course there can be exceptions here too for certain things, make sure to read your whole policy).

For the dwelling portion of your homeowners coverage, it generally covers you against anything and everything that could happen to your home "except...", and then it specifically names the things that it would not be covered against (ground water and water backups, mechanical breakdowns, damage from war, etc). So for your dwelling coverage, you are covered for anything not specifically mentioned as being excluded. The personal property portion of your homeowner's policy is generally written in the exact opposite way, essentially saying that your personal property is not covered for anything at all that could happen to it "except...", and then it lists all the things that your personal property is covered against (theft, fire, etc). So for your personal property, anything not specifically listed as being covered for would not be covered.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
what are the rules for league pool in terms of table size? if your home team turf has 9fts and the others have 7fts how does that play out?
You just play where you go. I actually like the challenge of having to adapt to each location. Played on a barbox last night and will be on a 9 footer tonight. One location can be roomy and comfortable, and the next is a cramped dive bar. Being comfortable on any table and aware of all the different nuances without getting bent about it reduces their home "advantage".

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know how long you've been playing but in my area(Ok,Ks,Tx,Mo,Iowa) bar tables have been the norm for 30+yrs. They made/make room owners lots of $$ per sq.ft. of floor space. Plus they are EASIER to play on for recreational players. 'Cultural digital trends' is not why little tables are so numerous and popular.
You are right.

Rent is the main reason in many markets had to downsize to 7’ boxes.

However not so much in your area. It has been the norm there for a long time and for those reasons you mentioned. They are not bad reasons.

As I said back on page one or 2. Two different games, each has their positives and negatives. One is not “better or worse” they are just different. I have a personal preference, however since I haven’t played 5 hours in the last 5 years I’d probably have more fun on the small box right now. Yet the big box is my favorite. So circumstance also plays into the equation.

Best
Fatboy

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know how long you've been playing but in my area(Ok,Ks,Tx,Mo,Iowa) bar tables have been the norm for 30+yrs. They made/make room owners lots of $$ per sq.ft. of floor space. Plus they are EASIER to play on for recreational players. 'Cultural digital trends' is not why little tables are so numerous and popular.
To me that’s also just because of the synergy of 7’ tables with drinking. But in terms of playing pool exclusively for the love of it. In terms of grooming a crop of junior champions that become your next generation or world beaters. There’s a reason non-drinking pool halls with 9’ tables are mostly closed down. I’m pretty sure it has to do with cultural trends in interest.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me that’s also just because of the synergy of 7’ tables with drinking. But in terms of playing pool exclusively for the love of it. In terms of grooming a crop of junior champions that become your next generation or world beaters. There’s a reason non-drinking pool halls with 9’ tables are mostly closed down. I’m pretty sure it has to do with cultural trends in interest.
Big-tables take time to learn on. Most players these days are way too lazy to put in the time it takes. I know a lot of league players that wouldn't get out of the electric-chair to play on a 9ft. They're scared shitless about getting out of their little-table comfort zone.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I never got to play on a 10' but why does it sound like its harder going from a 9' to a 10' than a 7' to a 9'??? I would think it would be relatively equal.
I sort of look at it this way. There is a practice routine for long straight-in shots (or any shot really) where you place the cue ball close to the object ball and then with every ball potted, you move the cue ball back a foot or so until you find the distance you struggle with. There is usually a threshold where that extra foot puts you into an uncomfortable distance territory. 10-foot tables have far more cue ball positions where that uncomfortable distance pops up than the 9 foot. and also lot more shots that are just at the threshold.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I have no problem with Diamond 7 or 9 footers. But it does bother me that most fargorated players (bca bar players) have achieved their established ratings on the easier 7 footers. I take these ratings with a grain of salt lol. Also, the APA uses the ridiculously easy bar Valley tables with the bucket pockets and slow cloth. To me, Valley bar-boxes are toys.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problem with Diamond 7 or 9 footers. But it does bother me that most fargorated players (bca bar players) have achieved their established ratings on the easier 7 footers. I take these ratings with a grain of salt lol. Also, the APA uses the ridiculously easy bar Valley tables with the bucket pockets and slow cloth. To me, Valley bar-boxes are toys.
Agree. I know more than a few 600+ bb players that play 100+ points less on a 9ft. There should be a 'table factor' in the rating system imo.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get over yourself. I play on both 9’ and 7’ why? because, both of them help you to be a better pool player. Whether it’s a shorter shot on a smaller table or a longer shot on a big table. Yes I agree it is a more satisfying game on the big table, but you can still learn to play well on a small table and you can you use that to learn how to play smaller/shorter shots or shape by playing on a small table. You can use that knowledge to play smaller/shorter shots or shape on a big table. Don’t get me wrong everyone knows they got to take the longer shot some time but you can learn to shorten that shot If you play on a smaller table. For Fuc$ sake some of you people seem to not like pool at all. Just play on whatever and have fun. Be happy to be able to play on both and put your ego aside. You can still learn and be happy on a smaller table if you don’t have a stick up your ass. Some of you die hards for the 9’ only, I want to play on the small table just to see what you can do on the kids table as some call it. Would you be able to compete with Shane or orcollo in a race to 100 on the little table? That’s what I thought…. then STFU and play some pool on whatever and get better at whatever. Love pool however it is and support it. Otherwise it will die with all the asshole rules here that you can’t play or pool is going to die if you play on a certain table GTFOH. Pool is going to die because of your piss
I can bitch about whatever the hell I want, just like you just did. I can also think that 7’ tables are a waste of my time. So there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can bitch about whatever the hell I want, just like you just did. I can also think that 7’ tables are a waste of my time. So there.
Agree. I have access to 13 9ft's at my home spot so i guess i'm spoiled. If i only had bb's to play on i'd probably quit. I've played on them a lot yrs ago and have zero desire to do so now.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Agree. I know more than a few 600+ bb players that play 100+ points less on a 9ft. There should be a 'table factor' in the rating system imo.
But Fargo isn't rating your skills or ability on a certain size table. It is tracking who you on average beat or don't beat, as well as the amount of games you win in proportion to your opponent. It turns out that while a guy may play a lot better on a bar box, so does his opponent who he is playing on that same bar box, and so the ratio at which you win games against your opponent isn't actually much different regardless of table size.

Mike has done a good bit of testing to bear this out, but I am almost certain that if you have examples of players who win at a significantly higher ratio against the same guys on a bar box, not just players who play better on a bar box than a 9 ft (that would be tons of them, maybe even most), but who win at a much higher ratio on 7 ft vs 9 ft playing the same guys, then Mike would be very interested in hearing about those examples to determine if that is in fact the case, and if so if it just an extreme anomaly. So far with lots of looking and testing he has not been able to find any significant pattern of that.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never got to play on a 10' but why does it sound like its harder going from a 9' to a 10' than a 7' to a 9'??? I would think it would be relatively equal.
For me the 10’ box just exposes more of my weakness’s in my game. So does the 9’ over the 7’s or 8’s. I guess I’m ok with that and used to playing on 9’ boxes and that’s “normal”. Also banking on a 10’ table is frustrating to me, I like banks and it’s just something I’m not used to. Comfort zone is on a 9’ for me. Weak reasons but best I can come up with.

If given a choice 7’ or 10’ I’d pick the 10’ all day every day. Same with 8’ & 10’. The 8 would be more fun, but I’d pick the 10’ because of the challenge. Fun is fun but improving is more important. I don’t feel like I improve on smaller tables.

Also 10’ America snooker Brunswick tables are super fun, I used to gamble on those all the time. The balls are smaller than pool balls, yet larger that English snooker balls. That was one of my favorite games ever. I haven’t seen one of those boxes in a 100 years. But they were great. Very different than 10’ pool tables.

best
Fatboy

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But Fargo isn't rating your skills or ability on a certain size table. It is tracking who you on average beat or don't beat, as well as the amount of games you win in proportion to your opponent. It turns out that while a guy may play a lot better on a bar box, so does his opponent who he is playing on that same bar box, and so the ratio at which you win games against your opponent isn't actually much different regardless of table size.

Mike has done a good bit of testing to bear this out, but I am almost certain that if you have examples of players who win at a significantly higher ratio against the same guys on a bar box, not just players who play better on a bar box than a 9 ft (that would be tons of them, maybe even most), but who win at a much higher ratio on 7 ft vs 9 ft playing the same guys, then Mike would be very interested in hearing about those examples to determine if that is in fact the case, and if so if it just an extreme anomaly. So far with lots of looking and testing he has not been able to find any significant pattern of that.
Big table match between two 600's, one that plays 90% of their pool on a bb against someone who plays 90% on a 9ft is an even game?? Is that what you're saying? If so that's ridiculous.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Just thinking about how the 10' tables crept into the conversation, chuckle.
How much griping do you think the 'Old timers' did when they changed the
Championships from the 10's to the 9's ?
"Well now all them young whippersnappers will be trying to ... " chuckle.
Must have been some kind of argument going on then eh?

hank

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Get over yourself. I play on both 9’ and 7’ why? because, both of them help you to be a better pool player. Whether it’s a shorter shot on a smaller table or a longer shot on a big table. Yes I agree it is a more satisfying game on the big table, but you can still learn to play well on a small table and you can you use that to learn how to play smaller/shorter shots or shape by playing on a small table. You can use that knowledge to play smaller/shorter shots or shape on a big table. Don’t get me wrong everyone knows they got to take the longer shot some time but you can learn to shorten that shot If you play on a smaller table. For Fuc$ sake some of you people seem to not like pool at all. Just play on whatever and have fun. Be happy to be able to play on both and put your ego aside. You can still learn and be happy on a smaller table if you don’t have a stick up your ass. Some of you die hards for the 9’ only, I want to play on the small table just to see what you can do on the kids table as some call it. Would you be able to compete with Shane or orcollo in a race to 100 on the little table? That’s what I thought…. then STFU and play some pool on whatever and get better at whatever. Love pool however it is and support it. Otherwise it will die with all the asshole rules here that you can’t play or pool is going to die if you play on a certain table GTFOH. Pool is going to die because of your piss poor attitudes.
Lots of expletives from someone calling out "piss poor" attitudes. Caaaaaaaalm down.
That being said. I love all tables. Maybe not equally but they all do the job.
NO ONE BETTER MAKE FUN OF MY NEPHEWS 4' x 2' TABLE EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!! F'N HATERS. STFU!!!:ROFLMAO:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Just thinking about how the 10' tables crept into the conversation, chuckle.
How much griping do you think the 'Old timers' did when they changed the
Championships from the 10's to the 9's ?
"Well now all them young whippersnappers will be trying to ... " chuckle.
Must have been some kind of argument going on then eh?

hank
Mosconi called them "puddle jumpers". lol