Pocket size?

TrxR

If you were buying a new 9' table what size pockets would you get? 4.5", 4.25" or 4.125"

Thanks

TrxR

This is a discussion me and a freind were having as im wanting to get a table in the next year or so. I was thinking 4.5 or 4.25 so he asked me what size the pockets were on the tables at the local spots. Im not sure what size the local tables are but one spot runs Palason 9' the other 8' valley coin ops . Im thinking they are probably closer to 5"

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinking a table used mainly for 9 ball and 8 ball. For argument sake say a Diamond.
It depends on the table. A Diamond has deep shelves which adds another dimension to the difficulty. 4.5" pockets would play pretty tough. If you are talking about a Gold Crown I which doesn't have shelves as deep as a Diamond, I would say 4.25" to 4.125" would play pretty tough. 4.5" on a Gold Crown I may play pretty easy.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.5 ProCuts are tight but fair. IMO anything less results in boring 'cinch' pool.
Depends on the skill level of the player. My Gold Crown I has 4.125" pockets and I do not play "cinch" pool in the least.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
If you were buying a new 9' table what size pockets would you get? 4.5", 4.25" or 4.125"

Thanks
3 7/8...j.k. I would have a 3 7/8 GC, I would have a 4.125 diamond. I think that's perfect, but I love tight tables. I just played at Griff's and they have a really tight diamond blue label. I think it was 4.25. It was good, so I might go as loose as that.

Jaden

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
For roughly 550 and below Fargo players who are not likely to improve much over time for whatever reason, 4.75 or 5 inch corner pockets might be the way to go. Too much tighter and you may find that it takes the fun out of it. For 550-650 players, 4.5 inch pockets strike a pretty good balance where it is tough, but the game hasn't been dramatically altered too much like it can be with smaller pockets where cheating pockets and certain shot options becomes more limited, more cinch pool gets played, and the games get less offensive and turn a bit more defensive, etc. For 650 and up players, 4.25 to 4.5 inch pockets depending on personal preference and what you are after.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say 4.5 inch on a Diamond is ideal. I wouldn't go any less. I think players get caught up in the idea that smaller pockets will make them a better player. I don't find that to be true.

Being able to run a few racks on a 4.5 inch Diamond builds up your shot making confidence and allows you to get in the zone to push toward that higher level of play. If you're always playing on uncomfortably tight pockets you'll spend way too much energy and stress on basic shotmaking causing struggles and lack of confidence.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I will jump in as well for the 4.5” on a diamond. I feel like that’s perfect unless it’s a pretty dedicated one pocket table. Even that’s still fine for 1P but tighter tables I feel safer trying to take balls out or attempting tricky stuff near the pockets.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 7/8...j.k. I would have a 3 7/8 GC, I would have a 4.125 diamond. I think that's perfect, but I love tight tables. I just played at Griff's and they have a really tight diamond blue label. I think it was 4.25. It was good, so I might go as loose as that.

Jaden
A9D69B31-4684-45B2-BF87-EE38F3CB30A3.jpeg

phreaticus

I think you have gotten some very good responses above.

I struggled with same question. I’m a nostolgic gold crown lover, so opted for a GC6 TE (ie”pro-cut” tighter version) that ended up with 4.25” corners. I was advised by table techs and others that it would be miserably painful for non serious players. That advice turned out to be very true. The combo of brand new lively rails, fast Simonis 860 cloth and tight pockets makes it an incredibly frustrating table; everything rattles and definitely pushes one to back off on speed and be extremely precise. I feel it definitely challenges one’s development of physical & mental game, ultimateky making one stronger, but it also wrecks confidence and isn’t nearly as much fun for new/casual players. Breaking and running racks is really, really really tough. As a reference mine plays about the same as a Gandy with 4.0” pockets and a Diamond with 4.25” pockets that I have access to. I literally have PTSD from my own table and find it soothing to play at local pool hall with 4.5” pockets.

I still struggle with what is “best” for a serious pool player’s home table. I think I’m with @garzar’s view that a nicely setup table 4.5” is plenty crisp. I also think that the Diamond shelf/angles make for a nicer playing table, so IMO either a Diamond pro cut 4.5 or a GC with 4.5 “diamondized” pockets done by an expert table tech - are the way to go.

Good luck & best wishes on your journey !

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For roughly 550 and below Fargo players who are not likely to improve much over time for whatever reason, 4.75 or 5 inch corner pockets might be the way to go. Too much tighter and you may find that it takes the fun out of it. For 550-650 players, 4.5 inch pockets strike a pretty good balance where it is tough, but the game hasn't been dramatically altered too much like it can be with smaller pockets where cheating pockets and certain shot options becomes more limited, more cinch pool gets played, and the games get less offensive and turn a bit more defensive, etc. For 650 and up players, 4.25 to 4.5 inch pockets depending on personal preference and what you are after.
I liked your post so much
I reposted it 👍

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Also consider the cloth and shelf depth. 4.25” isn’t too bad on clean simonis cloth and a narrow shelf depth. But if you are using cheap slow cloth, 4.25” can be pretty brutal if you have to pot anything with pace.