Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Any idea what the hold up is on the cooler? I work in the architectural industry and one of our main customers has a 6 month wait for the cooler/freezer panels. There is apparently a shortage of chemicals used to build the walls.

I hope he got his stuff before that happened.
It could be the thousands of ships loaded with containers that are stuck off the coast...

Jaden

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any idea what the hold up is on the cooler? I work in the architectural industry and one of our main customers has a 6 month wait for the cooler/freezer panels. There is apparently a shortage of chemicals used to build the walls.

I hope he got his stuff before that happened.
Yes, it is polyols needed for polyurethane foam, and now more recently, constraints on brominated flame retardants, which are an essential ingredient in the polyurethane foam mixture.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
A pool-only spot is doomed from the start. You have to offer other things to make any money. Better have good food, well stocked bar and something to do other than just shoot pool. Go open one yourself and find out.
The most successful pool halls will have a full bar, run league nights at least 3/4 nights a week, have tournaments at least 2 times a week, have a good kitchen, darts and/or other things...cornhole, giant jinga, etc...It probably wouldn't hurt, where law allows to have poker tables to rent out to players (not a rake mind you, renting OUT the table and/or chips for players to do with what they please). Also, they have big screens and ppv fights on the weekends and/or live bands.

Jaden

I went to one pool hall where they had poker tournaments regularly. I've also known some to have karaoke on some nights.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most successful pool halls will have a full bar, run league nights at least 3/4 nights a week, have tournaments at least 2 times a week, have a good kitchen, darts and/or other things...cornhole, giant jinga, etc...It probably wouldn't hurt, where law allows to have poker tables to rent out to players (not a rake mind you, renting OUT the table and/or chips for players to do with what they please). Also, they have big screens and ppv fights on the weekends and/or live bands.

Jaden

I went to one pool hall where they had poker tournaments regularly. I've also known some to have karaoke on some nights.
Yes, this seems to be the best working model now for "pool" success. My biggest lament now, I see it here in Florida, is that many of these places are going to all or mostly 7 foot tables - I imagine that is what the so called "players" want now. Nobody down South cares about 14.1 and most of these folks will not invest the time to "master" a 9 foot table- i.e. develop the right stroke for the bigger table.

People investing their money and taking the risks need to do it wisely, so I cannot blame them for going with the "pool room" business model that will most likely align with success- that, today, mostly means bars, loud music, corn hole, poker, darts, TVs, and, Oh, yes, I forgot- EVEN "pool" tables- ( small ones). - it is what it is- boy, I miss the old days- "Where is Ames, Mister"?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I think the main reason that a lot of pool halls are moving to 7 footers is two fold. On weekend nights they run out of available pool tables, which means fewer players which means fewer drinks/food etc bought. Same thing for week nights and league. They want to be able to have as many league teams in there as possible.

It's also going to depend on what real estate lease prices are going for. How many pool halls are in shitty neighborhoods? That's because they can get the square footage they need at a reasonable rate. Most of the time. The main problem for pool halls is how much square footage they need. There's a reason that prior to the real estate increases of the 70's and 80's that the average pool table size was 10 foot. They weren't losing their asses on lease amounts or they'd build the building themselves for pennies compared to what it costs today.

Jaden

middleofnowhere

Registered
A pool-only spot is doomed from the start. You have to offer other things to make any money. Better have good food, well stocked bar and something to do other than just shoot pool. Go open one yourself and find out.
Had three and yes I bought one that was ready to close. With some legal manovers got a beverage license the last owner was turned down for and gave up. The beverage license made all the difference.

There is a difference though between a bar with pool tables and pool room that served alcohol. In some respect they are not even the same business.

If it is just to turn a buck there are lots of business you can be in. If you are a pool player though you want a pool room. You know exactly what I am talking about.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Yes, this seems to be the best working model now for "pool" success. My biggest lament now, I see it here in Florida, is that many of these places are going to all or mostly 7 foot tables - I imagine that is what the so called "players" want now. Nobody down South cares about 14.1 and most of these folks will not invest the time to "master" a 9 foot table- i.e. develop the right stroke for the bigger table.

People investing their money and taking the risks need to do it wisely, so I cannot blame them for going with the "pool room" business model that will most likely align with success- that, today, mostly means bars, loud music, corn hole, poker, darts, TVs, and, Oh, yes, I forgot- EVEN "pool" tables- ( small ones). - it is what it is- boy, I miss the old days- "Where is Ames, Mister"?
Place opened by me with a nice bar four 9 footers and 4 bar tables. In less then 2 Years all but two bar tables were left. They saw where the money was.

That was about 10 years ago. Now it is a full blown sports with TVs everywhere and so noisy you can't think. It is just a matter what business you want to be in.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place opened by me with a nice bar four 9 footers and 4 bar tables. In less then 2 Years all but two bar tables were left. They saw where the money was.

That was about 10 years ago. Now it is a full blown sports with TVs everywhere and so noisy you can't think. It is just a matter what business you want to be in.
Don't think that will be an issue with Archer's joint. Pool will be the major draw.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jaden

They have a shuffle board that’s next to the bar. Going to add what ever it takes to fill the place up over the next few months.

The no-rake poker games bring in water drinkers and really haven’t performed well in the past. But who knows moving forwards? Zero chance they will do a raked game there-way to risky and just isn’t the right idea.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Don't think that will be an issue with Archer's joint. Pool will be the major draw.
Of course. My point was, if it is just about money you don't go into the pool room business. Or if you do you need something else to augment it. Be it food, beer what ever.

I always thought a pizza / pool room would work also with beer. Thing is, if you are a pool player you want the focus on pool.
Otherwise just open a tire store or hamburger joint and forget about pool.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the main reason that a lot of pool halls are moving to 7 footers is two fold. On weekend nights they run out of available pool tables, which means fewer players which means fewer drinks/food etc bought. Same thing for week nights and league. They want to be able to have as many league teams in there as possible.

It's also going to depend on what real estate lease prices are going for. How many pool halls are in shitty neighborhoods? That's because they can get the square footage they need at a reasonable rate. Most of the time. The main problem for pool halls is how much square footage they need. There's a reason that prior to the real estate increases of the 70's and 80's that the average pool table size was 10 foot. They weren't losing their asses on lease amounts or they'd build the building themselves for pennies compared to what it costs today.

Jaden
He got a great deal on the rent and has a great landlord. That was the hardest part of the whole thing. A suitable location with a cool landlord. Mission accomplished. After that it’s fell into place pretty smoothly.

There’s room for more tables too, they will be there as budget & necessity permits. That’s why the soft opening is happening. Get a read on the good ideas and mistakes and cure them as it goes.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long gone are the days of opening a room on $150k-$200k.

Wow it costs to open a room now. But the ROI is solid with full bar, vending, kitchen, pool & misc stuff

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
He got a great deal on the rent and has a great landlord. That was the hardest part of the whole thing. A suitable location with a cool landlord. Mission accomplished. After that it’s fell into place pretty smoothly.

There’s room for more tables too, they will be there as budget & necessity permits. That’s why the soft opening is happening. Get a read on the good ideas and mistakes and cure them as it goes.
Yeah, I think a big part of his deal, and any real estate deal really, is all the improvements he is doing. That's huge for a landlord for two reasons. One, if things don't work out, they get the improvements and two, the fact that the tenant is willing to do so many improvements means they are intending to stay long term.

Jaden

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another draw these days is the return of pin-ball. Owner of my local spot put in 16 machines. We thought he was nuts. Wrong. Apparently PB is making a big-time comeback. These machines are hooked to the internet and players can have tournaments with BUNCH of players. On a good Fri/Sat there will be 25+ players on them the whole night.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There's a bar close to my work that had 6 bar boxes prior to COVID. Due to COVID restrictions (dining space) they removed 4 pool tables and put more dining tables in. Last time I went there was 1 bar box left. That place had a TON of leagues during the week. Apparently, they make more money without the pool tables.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I think a big part of his deal, and any real estate deal really, is all the improvements he is doing. That's huge for a landlord for two reasons. One, if things don't work out, they get the improvements and two, the fact that the tenant is willing to do so many improvements means they are intending to stay long term.

Jaden

Leasehold improvements can get complicated depending on the type of business (i.e. what changes need to be made), who's paying for them, and who will benefit long-term. Meaning, since JA is opening a pool hall/restaurant then any TI's (tenant improvements) are going to be geared towards that. If JA leaves then the building owner may or may not have a place that is easily rented out again. On top of that, if JA pays for the TI's then he gets the financial benefit (tax deductions) and the building owner could be stuck with a building that needs to be completely redone for the next tenant. On the flip side, the owner can simply offer a TIA (tenant improvement allowance) and build that into the monthly rent and you're done.

Seems like JA has found a landlord that is willing to work with him, that's a good thing :)

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another draw these days is the return of pin-ball. Owner of my local spot put in 16 machines. We thought he was nuts. Wrong. Apparently PB is making a big-time comeback. These machines are hooked to the internet and players can have tournaments with BUNCH of players. On a good Fri/Sat there will be 25+ players on them the whole night.
Yes, there are a few larger pinball most places in the Austin Texas area and they are killing it....and amazing to visit if you pick your times!

I hope Johnny has a lot of success!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Leasehold improvements can get complicated depending on the type of business (i.e. what changes need to be made), who's paying for them, and who will benefit long-term. Meaning, since JA is opening a pool hall/restaurant then any TI's (tenant improvements) are going to be geared towards that. If JA leaves then the building owner may or may not have a place that is easily rented out again. On top of that, if JA pays for the TI's then he gets the financial benefit (tax deductions) and the building owner could be stuck with a building that needs to be completely redone for the next tenant. On the flip side, the owner can simply offer a TIA (tenant improvement allowance) and build that into the monthly rent and you're done.

Seems like JA has found a landlord that is willing to work with him, that's a good thing :)
Yeah it's always going to come down to what is best. What improvements are more likely to net the owner versus the tenant, how much is covered by and/or wrapped into the lease agreement, etc....It's typically a negotiation. It looks like Johnny was doing most of the improvements himself based on the video, that's why I commented the way I did.

Jaden

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Landlord really stepped up big in that way! Way more than a average landlord/tenant deal. But he’s JA.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member

Jaden

People WAYYYYYY underestimate the amount of money dart players bring in.