Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All due respect Jay, I just don’t see that happening in LA. I have the always respected your business decisions & trust has always been 100% with us. I’d like to be wrong on this one, but I just don’t see it working in LA.

If you can find a spot and the numbers make sense you know how to find me. It would be great to have a spot.

I had 33% of a card room about 4 years ago for a while, we couldn’t crack the nut there. I got out even, but the other 2 guys went down with the ship. It was licensed as a “Social Club” it was 200 yards from the Beverly Center. 2nd floor of a nice center like Erin builds on the corners-

I thought about putting a couple barboxes in it, but didn’t make sense. We had 3 different card games and other action. Did $12,000/mo the nut was $15k. Didn’t work out.
Best
Fatboy :)

Did you take a rake? I can't imagine a raked game not being successful?

If a card room couldn't crack the nut, I can't imagine how a pool room would. Many pool rooms had a back room game (with a rake) and that was a big part of their cracking the nut. Now with legalized poker in about every single state, the backroom poker games are mostly all gone.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you take a rake? I can't imagine a raked game not being successful?

If a card room couldn't crack the nut, I can't imagine how a pool room would. Many pool rooms had a back room game (with a rake) and that was a big part of their cracking the nut. Now with legalized poker in about every single state, the backroom poker games are mostly all gone.
We subleased the space to operators who raked. We would get a flat fee for the night. They would do what ever they did(rake into the tray or time collection).

The drop from the other games(not poker) was small, and monthly $ for membership was ok. But didn’t reach.

The real problem was we couldn’t hold any games, meaning a game would come and be played 1-2-3 times then they would find another spot. We offered good deals but can’t compete with poker houses in LA. We didn’t have coke & whores-what poker houses offer. We had a nice card room & food, security etc/ but not the “other stuff”.

We had a guy who leased it during the day for chess, but was small $. We were not big enough for the bridge players
edit. We didn’t rake because we were not licensed to rake. We just hosted games. But the operators who may have been raking or time collecting were not sticking around. Vince van Patton was there one night, Phil Laak. We had real poker players betting real $. Not small games $20k to $50k on the table.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
All due respect Jay, I just don’t see that happening in LA. I have the always respected your business decisions & trust has always been 100% with us. I’d like to be wrong on this one, but I just don’t see it working in LA.

If you can find a spot and the numbers make sense you know how to find me. It would be great to have a spot.

I had 33% of a card room about 4 years ago for a while, we couldn’t crack the nut there. I got out even, but the other 2 guys went down with the ship. It was licensed as a “Social Club” it was 200 yards from the Beverly Center. 2nd floor of a nice center like Erin builds on the corners-

I thought about putting a couple barboxes in it, but didn’t make sense. We had 3 different card games and other action. Did $12,000/mo the nut was $15k. Didn’t work out.
Best
Fatboy :)
I hear you Eric. I'm not about to start running around trying to put this together. I know what it takes to get a new business off the ground and I don't have the stomach for it anymore. Been there, done that too many times. It's just a concept that's all.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you Eric. I'm not about to start running around trying to put this together. I know what it takes to get a new business off the ground and I don't have the stomach for it anymore. Been there, done that too many times. It's just a concept that's all.
I agree, I don’t have the gas in my tank either. Unless it’s a lock and very little effort.
Hope ur well,

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, I don’t have the gas in my tank either. Unless it’s a lock and very little effort.
Hope ur well,
This all sounds too familiar.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The skill set needed to play great pool is completely different than the skill set needed to successsfully run a difficult business, epsically today.
Yes, it’s impossible to expect that one would be good at both. Hard enough to be good at having the knowledge and experience to know to hire the right people to do it for you.

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 30 minutes away and looking forward to patronizing the establishment. We could really use a decent place around here that's not an hour drive.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s correct Saturday. Looks good inside. Been a long road to get this far. It will all come together. And all “other” issues will be resolved-privately (not on the god damned internet)

Best
Fatboy
Just hope JA's gonna be a hands-on owner. His name is on the joint so he'd better be there and have a damn good mgr. for when he's not.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been watching the YouTube vids showing progress of the build put up by “Compforce”
named Jay ....the business looked wayyy off from being ready to me.
but ahead of the last view we had of it.
as a side note, who is Jay?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been watching the YouTube vids showing progress of the build put up by “Compforce”
named Jay ....the business looked wayyy off from being ready to me.
but ahead of the last view we had of it.
as a side note, who is Jay?
Says he's a former pro and friend of JA's. I don't recognize him. Looks to me to be a month from opening in that video. Getting close.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Says he's a former pro and friend of JA's. I don't recognize him. Looks to me to be a month from opening in that video. Getting close.
Not a clue. I talk to Johnny 7 days a week the last 6-8 weeks. They are opening this Saturday. Soft opening, won’t be perfect but will be open-place is real nice I’ve seen it on FaceTime lots of times. I’ll be there next week for a few days.

Best,
Fatboy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kitchen I believe will be open in about another week, all permits and licenses are in place. The cooler door was cutout this morning, there’s still a bit of construction for the kitchen and initial stocking order. The bar is partially stocked. Saturday will be day 1.

That’s the facts, not a guess. Current as of today

See ya there,
Fatboy