For sale section

nicksaint26

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been asked to offer information and history on cues in the for sale section more than once. I never felt it was a TOS violation. If I ever wanted a listing bumped back up I'd just bring it up top every week. People used to list items so often a thread could get buried pages deep within a few hours.
Seems like starting another thread on the subject has more impact to the server than commenting on an attractive cue in an existing sale thread...
Some people have even found a stolen cues owner through a brief post interaction. Things like that benefit from the transparency of the situation.
Often, people will ask that no one reply or comment and ask for PM only.
Seems like it works for the most part.
True but how many people have their friends say "what a great cue at a super price" just to bump their buddies thread back to the top? A lot I bet!

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it funny when the same cue has been for sale for months at the same price with thousands of views. Man, if it didnt sell at your asking price, either lower the price or pull the cue, its that simple.
I never listed a cue or anything more than a week....everything, including monster cues, will sell at a good price.

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
I have been asked to offer information and history on cues in the for sale section more than once. I never felt it was a TOS violation. If I ever wanted a listing bumped back up I'd just bring it up top every week. People used to list items so often a thread could get buried pages deep within a few hours.
Seems like starting another thread on the subject has more impact to the server than commenting on an attractive cue in an existing sale thread...
Some people have even found a stolen cues owner through a brief post interaction. Things like that benefit from the transparency of the situation.
Often, people will ask that no one reply or comment and ask for PM only.
Seems like it works for the most part.
It doesn't really work though. The forum owners make the rule and members are supposed to follow the rules. As for the other points you make there is a public forum for addressing those issues. I am on a few other forums like watches, knives and others and they all prohibit replying to for sale posts for the exact same reasons to give the seller and only the seller a voice to sell without conflict or interjection and keep those pages uncluttered.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
I’m sorry everyone. Im a new member and have posted a response to one of the for sale items once. I was really considering buying the balls. I’ll quit that. I see there is a watch button on top. If someone is considering purchasing a $1000+ cue not everyone has the cash on hand when it lists. Hell. Sometimes I don’t have $100 on hand when something I’m looking for lists on a site and I have to come up with it.

Some potential buyers would rather a seller pm them with a lower price than put in an offer. I know. I sell a lot on eBay and sometimes you will have watchers a week or 2 without any offers. Then you send the watchers a lower offer and someone buys the item. I deal in cards and collectibles which are kind of close to the same category as pool stuff in people’s minds..can you pm offers to the watchers on your for sale items or just the posters?

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
It doesn't really work though. The forum owners make the rule and members are supposed to follow the rules. As for the other points you make there is a public forum for addressing those issues. I am on a few other forums like watches, knives and others and they all prohibit replying to for sale posts for the exact same reasons to give the seller and only the seller a voice to sell without conflict or interjection and keep those pages uncluttered.
I admin on another site and our classified rules state people can ask questions about the item, offer a price or offer to buy (which normally then goes to private message for shipping details, etc.) This way, basic questions can be publicly addressed and save the seller from getting the same question 5 times via PM.

But at no time can people post about anything other than the item for sale. If they do, they may get a warning or they may get a short time-out. People just don't pay attention to stated rules regardless of how well or obvious they are posted. It sinks in when there's a penalty.

The whole idea is like what's been said: Inadvertent bumps by buddies, it's not a "discussion thread", or worse yet, someone posting the item is "cheaper" at XYZ site. People that want to just "comment" are instructed to PM the seller or poster asking the question.

It does take an active Mod. You can't justify a penalty unless it's evenly/consistently enforced.

dirtvictim

I admin on another site and our classified rules state people can ask questions about the item, offer a price or offer to buy (which normally then goes to private message for shipping details, etc.) This way, basic questions can be publicly addressed and save the seller from getting the same question 5 times via PM.

But at no time can people post about anything other than the item for sale. If they do, they may get a warning or they may get a short time-out. People just don't pay attention to stated rules regardless of how well or obvious they are posted. It sinks in when there's a penalty.

The whole idea is like what's been said: Inadvertent bumps by buddies, it's not a "discussion thread", or worse yet, someone posting the item is "cheaper" at XYZ site. People that want to just "comment" are instructed to PM the seller or poster asking the question.

It does take an active Mod. You can't justify a penalty unless it's evenly/consistently enforced.
So much easier to just say no commenting on for sale posts. Sellers should be smart enough to edit an ad to address new questions and sellers should be able to handle a few questions and the "I'll take it"in PM's.
Mods in other forums delete comments in for sale and they do issue warnings. Imagine if buyers could add comments to ebay ads, what a mess that would be.
One simple rule, do not comment on for sale posts. It's more a matter of respect, for the forum owners set rules and the sellers post continuity. I sell a lot and I prefer no comments on my sale posts.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it's okay to ignore some rules, right? I mean, if you think you are right, then disregard of rules is ok, right?

Like non pool related threads in the main form.

Everybody has justification for his own acts.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
So much easier to just say no commenting on for sale posts. Sellers should be smart enough to edit an ad to address new questions and sellers should be able to handle a few questions and the "I'll take it"in PM's.
Mods in other forums delete comments in for sale and they do issue warnings. Imagine if buyers could add comments to ebay ads, what a mess that would be.
One simple rule, do not comment on for sale posts. It's more a matter of respect, for the forum owners set rules and the sellers post continuity. I sell a lot and I prefer no comments on my sale posts.
Not sure I'm following your plan. As in the case I stated, you can ONLY post questions about the item to which ALL who may have the same question learn something. No other comments allowed except for "I'll take it" which is later confirmed by the seller as "sold". Regardless of what rules say, people who don't pay attention or care will post stupid stuff whereby they'll get a time out and usually learn from that.

Not much different than training dogs. Reward good behavior and punish bad when the dog knows the rules.

Feels like you're conflating comments and questions. You're the seller not the buyer.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The worst reply in the for sale section is "Nice cue I wish I had the money"
Imagine going to a Mercedes dealership and saying that to a sales person.
That happens every day. In almost all retail settings.

Even worse there are tons of people that call contractors for bids with no intention of having any work done. They’re just bored.

My favorite tire kickers are the ones out shopping because their big settlement is getting close.

They’re gonna buy that 90k vehicle any day now. The lawyer says it’s happening soon 🙄.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest that posts with cues that are sold already be moved to a different sub-forum instead of being intermingled with items that haven’t sold.

Agreed, and this software actually allows the thread to be moved automatically after it's been marked as sold. (Sorry @azhousepro, I hope I didn't create any work for you :))

dirtvictim

Not sure I'm following your plan. As in the case I stated, you can ONLY post questions about the item to which ALL who may have the same question learn something. No other comments allowed except for "I'll take it" which is later confirmed by the seller as "sold". Regardless of what rules say, people who don't pay attention or care will post stupid stuff whereby they'll get a time out and usually learn from that.

Not much different than training dogs. Reward good behavior and punish bad when the dog knows the rules.

Feels like you're conflating comments and questions. You're the seller not the buyer.
What I'm saying is there shouldn't be any comments allowed in for sale posts at all as most forums do. There is literally no reason to allow comments on a sellers post just like on ebay it's just a sale ad that requires no input or critique from anyone.
If no replies are allowed then the "learning curve" of rules wouldn't be needed. This works very well on the other forums I frequent and sell on.
The problem with doing a "soft" comment system is too many abuse it and then it doesn't really work at all. This is one time where a flat no is way better.
Sellers, buyers and commenters can communicate just as well through PM and it's private, I do it a lot so I'm confident that it works fine and would be the best standard.
The bottom line is no one needs to participate in a sellers ad it just seems unprofessional to allow it and as a buyer I would never do it.

dirtvictim

I would suggest that posts with cues that are sold already be moved to a different sub-forum instead of being intermingled with items that haven’t sold.
These sold ads will continue to fall off the page as new or bumped posts come in so it's not really a big deal unless comments are still allowed then it will get bumped again. Another good reason to not allow any comments at all, bumping sold ads.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not on the same page as you for commenting but I do think they should be moved and locked.

For a brief period I used to own/operate this same forum software. When a match was mark as complete (nothing was actually sold) the thread was moved to a different forum and locked. You can do the same with a "SOLD" tag.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
What I'm saying is there shouldn't be any comments allowed in for sale posts at all as most forums do. There is literally no reason to allow comments on a sellers post just like on ebay it's just a sale ad that requires no input or critique from anyone.
If no replies are allowed then the "learning curve" of rules wouldn't be needed. This works very well on the other forums I frequent and sell on.
The problem with doing a "soft" comment system is too many abuse it and then it doesn't really work at all. This is one time where a flat no is way better.
Sellers, buyers and commenters can communicate just as well through PM and it's private, I do it a lot so I'm confident that it works fine and would be the best standard.
The bottom line is no one needs to participate in a sellers ad it just seems unprofessional to allow it and as a buyer I would never do it.
I'm not sure why you keep comparing a hobby forum classifieds to "ebay". And most forums do allow buyer questions. Taking EVERYTHING to PM has downsides too. Beside, you're missing the biggest point, which is...it's enjoyable for a Mod to give dipshits a week or so time out for not reading or following the rules which are always CLEARLY STATED. Gawd it feels good!

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure why you keep comparing a hobby forum classifieds to "ebay". And most forums do allow buyer questions. Taking EVERYTHING to PM has downsides too. Beside, you're missing the biggest point, which is...it's enjoyable for a Mod to give dipshits a week or so time out for not reading or following the rules which are always CLEARLY STATED. Gawd it feels good!
Someone gets it. The stupidity of saying there is no reason to allow comments on a forum post is amazing. Though maybe not amazing considering it is AZB. People calling these "ads" is just dumb. The for sale forum went to sh!t with the ignorant misguided rule changes they put in.

I got plenty of money to spend and if I can't ask a question in a thread or counter with a real offer to a dumbsh!t price then I will just pass on the whole forum. Sellers should want all the possible buyers that they can get. If you don't want people "trashing" your bs for sale post that make a realistic post in the first place. Monster cues. LMFAO. Not to mention calling out all the lazy a$$ posters who can't be bothered to post photos. The seller doesn't call the shots.

dirtvictim

Someone gets it. The stupidity of saying there is no reason to allow comments on a forum post is amazing. Though maybe not amazing considering it is AZB. People calling these "ads" is just dumb. The for sale forum went to sh!t with the ignorant misguided rule changes they put in.

I got plenty of money to spend and if I can't ask a question in a thread or counter with a real offer to a dumbsh!t price then I will just pass on the whole forum. Sellers should want all the possible buyers that they can get. If you don't want people "trashing" your bs for sale post that make a realistic post in the first place. Monster cues. LMFAO. Not to mention calling out all the lazy a$$ posters who can't be bothered to post photos. The seller doesn't call the shots.
Not a general forum post, a for sale post where a seller posts an item with details that is stand alone and not meant for replies or retort by random buyers or members. Not everyone understands what professional means, that's the way I prefer to do business I don't need or want random people freely interjecting in my ads. The fact that some don't see it this way is sadly unprofessional.

dirtvictim

It's not just a hobby forum, billiards is a profession for many players, there are plenty of professional cue sellers here too and I'd bet they prefer a higher level of professionalism as well. No one needs to reply to sales ads and ebay is the standard selling format to follow. No professionally run forum would allow replies in the sales posts it would be regulated to listing the items only. Maybe time to step this forum up a bit if it's run haphazardly and mods should be professional as well.
A few other forums I frequent have near a half million members and are run quite differently.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
It's not just a hobby forum, billiards is a profession for many players, there are plenty of professional cue sellers here too and I'd bet they prefer a higher level of professionalism as well. No one needs to reply to sales ads and ebay is the standard selling format to follow. No professionally run forum would allow replies in the sales posts it would be regulated to listing the items only. Maybe time to step this forum up a bit if it's run haphazardly and mods should be professional as well.
A few other forums I frequent have near a half million members and are run quite differently.
What commission or fee do you professionals pay AZB for the privilege to do business here? And, are you professionals more important than the amateurs that use the forum?

dirtvictim

What commission or fee do you professionals pay AZB for the privilege to do business here? And, are you professionals more important than the amateurs that use the forum?
Some do pay for premium membership as you know. Doesn't matter though it's about professionalism and there is nothing professional about allowing comments in a sale post.
As a buyer and I do buy a lot over a few forums, I don't want to look at a sales ad and have to sift through a bunch of random posts that do nothing but distract from the item being sold.
In my opinion a sales post should not be an open forum as a free for all to reply. There is a public forum for that, like the one we are in right now.
Again look at professional forums and you will see that replies to sales are not allowed.
Perhaps we need a poll that addresses replies in sales posts? A general consensus and use that as a gauge to determine the rule.