Earl vs Buddy vs Parica over the years?

CanadianGuy

these guys must have crossed paths more than once, my understanding is that Earl gambled a fair amount when young and then ceased to focus on the pro scene, his documentary gave me the impression that he was taking on all challengers at one point

anyone have some good war stories between the three of these giants they can share?

I've maintained for years that Earl is the guy I would have shooting for my life, even over Efren,

unfortunately though I did not get a chance to witness the great Buddy Hall or Parica

middleofnowhere

Registered
these guys must have crossed paths more than once, my understanding is that Earl gambled a fair amount when young and then ceased to focus on the pro scene, his documentary gave me the impression that he was taking on all challengers at one point

anyone have some good war stories between the three of these giants they can share?

I've maintained for years that Earl is the guy I would have shooting for my life, even over Efren,

unfortunately though I did not get a chance to witness the great Buddy Hall or Parica
Saw Earl play Segal 7 ahead for 3 thousand. Earl got on the hill first and didn't get out. Short time later it is back to even.

Earl begins whining he has to play in the morning and wants to quit at even. Mike let's him off the hook. Earl was not going to win. I think Fat boy says he talks to Mike often. If he reads this ask Mike about the match, It was in Tampa.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw Earl play Segal 7 ahead for 3 thousand. Earl got on the hill first and didn't get out. Short time later it is back to even.

Earl begins whining he has to play in the morning and wants to quit at even. Mike let's him off the hook. Earl was not going to win. I think Fat boy says he talks to Mike often. If he reads this ask Mike about the match, It was in Tampa.
I will ask him tmr. 😀

CanadianGuy

that sounds like classic Earl, reminiscent of his color of money match, up big then losing the lead and the whining begins

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Parica gave Earl "The Cure" in Texas long ago playing Ten Ball. They brought Earl in to play him after Jose had beaten everyone else. Jose may have ended up spotting Earl the nine ball at the end of their little skirmish. I don't think Earl would play Buddy. I never heard of them gambling.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Earl won all those US Opens and world championships were Buddy and Jose in the tournaments?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Earl won all those US Opens and world championships were Buddy and Jose in the tournaments?
Pretty sure OP was referring to head-to-head matches. They may have not played each other in any given event based on the draw. I like Buddy's end playing either one for the cash. Parica was one tough nut to crack but i still would have bet on Buddy.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I saw Parica, when I did not know who he was, he beat Buddy 13-12 at the Sands. He beat him to the shot at Hill/Hill and ran out flawlessly with everyone watching. He was so calm. I remember thinking to myself -- WHO is this guy?

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also Accu-Stats used to have a Player review of Parica vs Earl with Jose and Biily I doing commentary. It was great. Parica won something like 13-5 or 13-3.

L.S. Dennis

I’ve never seen Lassiter play who Buddy says was unequivocally the best nine ball player of all time but I did see Earl play quite a bit during the late 80’s and early 90’s and he to my mind was the best offensive player that I’ve ever seen when he was shooting well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never seen Lassiter play who Buddy says was unequivocally the best nine ball player of all time but I did see Earl play quite a bit during the late 80’s and early 90’s and he to my mind was the best offensive player that I’ve ever seen when he was shooting well.
Fast players like Earl absolutely hated playing Buddy. His pace of play combined with Einstein level runouts just put them to sleep.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure OP was referring to head-to-head matches. They may have not played each other in any given event based on the draw. I like Buddy's end playing either one for the cash. Parica was one tough nut to crack but i still would have bet on Buddy.
Buddy ducked Parica, for good reason. No one could beat Jose for the cash back then (80's and 90's)! And I mean NO ONE!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One year at Olathe Matlock was gonna give the Jose the 8b on a bb and Jose was gonna give Dave the 8b on the 9ft. They both decided that neither liked either game. ;) I'm not saying Buddy had to win but i've never heard of him ducking anybody.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Buddy ducked Parica, for good reason. No one could beat Jose for the cash back then (80's and 90's)! And I mean NO ONE!
That's a bit unfair to use the term ducked. There is a difference between a sportsman and someone trying to pay the bills.

Boxers get paid win or lose. In fact most pro sports players get paid. A pool player has to win or sleep in the car.

In fact with players at that level I'm not sure you could find a defining factor to say "This is the difference, he plays better". Buddy played so good it made you throw up.

I played him in a tournament once and ran the first 4 racks. I lost 11 to 4. I didn't make a ball on the break rack 5 and shot one more time at a kick the rest of the set.

Efren may be the only one you can take a pad of paper an list what makes him the best. He does everything every other player does, but just a little better. With Efren I felt I could actually see the difference.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
One year at Olathe Matlock was gonna give the Jose the 8b on a bb and Jose was gonna give Dave the 8b on the 9ft. They both decided that neither liked either game. ;) I'm not saying Buddy had to win but i've never heard of him ducking anybody.
He had a chance to play Parica in Texas, when Jose was spotting everybody at Ten Ball and he was a no show.