International Open

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Obviously you know more than me Jay, but the player I saw today and even in his win yesterday against Al-Awadhi is far from a top player at least in 9 ball. I understand he was the top Russian before Gorst but I can't see him as " mostly in the money" guy the way he played yesterday and today.
He wasn’t consistent against Al-Awahdi (I commentated that match with Pete Fleming), but to be fair Ruslan had some kind of eye infection. Not sure when it happened, but it looked bad enough during his match against Shane that most people in attendance could physically see it.

VVP

Registered
He wasn’t consistent against Al-Awahdi (I commentated that match with Pete Fleming), but to be fair Ruslan had some kind of eye infection. Not sure when it happened, but it looked bad enough during his match against Shane that most people in attendance could physically see it.
That's true, I saw his eyes. Shane's eyes were red also. I actually wondered what happened to their eyes.

VVP

Registered
To be fair, I guess Chainakhov has a fair chance of making the final 32 where the payment starts. My consideration of "dead money" players are those with probability less than 50% of making the final 8 (quarter finals). I place players like Chainakhov, Earl etc. in that category regardless of their past prowess. Dead money players are specific to the tournament and the people playing in it. I would not put Chainakhov and Earl in the dead money category for the Turning Stone classic, for example.

Here is Chinakhov's road to the final 8:
vs Robert Sopha 10-3, vs Tuan Chau 10-4, vs Jonathan Pinegar 10-5, vs Josh Roberts 10-6 and vs Bader Al-Awadhi 10-8.

Meanwhile players like Jayson Shaw, Naoyuki Oi, Fedor Gorst, Alex Pagulayan, Lee Van Corteza, Joshua Filler and Alex Kazakis did not make it to the final 8. I would say luck of the draw got Chinakhov to the final 8.

As per Fargo ratings, it has Chinakhov above Justin Bergman, Bustamante, Roberto Gomez, Denis Grabe, Ralf Souquet, Thorsten Hohmann, Omar Al-Shaheen, Chris Melling, John Morra, Mika Immonen, Darren Appleton etc. That speaks for itself, enough said!

Fargo reminds me of the points system for the All-American team in trapshooting. The reasonably good shooters with lots of time on their hand attend many shoots and accumulate points that put them in the top standing for All-American points. However, when the team is chosen, they only take your top 7 scores and a lot of these people fall to the wayside and cannot make the team. ;) BTW, was it supposed to be Fartgo? 😁😁

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, I guess Chainakhov has a fair chance of making the final 32 where the payment starts. My consideration of "dead money" players are those with probability less than 50% of making the final 8 (quarter finals). I place players Chainakhov, Earl etc. in that category regardless of their past prowess. Dead money players are specific to the tournament and the people playing in it. I would not put Chainakhov and Earl in the dead money category for the Turning Stone classic, for example.

Here is Chinakhov's road to the final 8:
vs Robert Sopha 10-3, vs Tuan Chau 10-4, vs Jonathan Pinegar 10-5, vs Josh Roberts 10-6 and vs Bader Al-Awadhi 10-8.

Meanwhile players like Jayson Shaw, Naoyuki Oi, Fedor Gorst, Alex Pagulayan, Lee Van Corteza, and Alex Kazakis did not make it to the final 8.

As per Fargo ratings, it has Chinakhov above Justin Bergman, Bustamante, Roberto Gomez, Denis Grabe, Ralf Souquet, Thorsten Hohmann, Omar Al-Shaheen, Chris Melling, John Morra, Mika Immonen, Darren Appleton etc. That speaks for itself, enough said!

Fargo reminds me of the points system for the All-American team in trapshooting. The reasonably good shooters with lots of time on their hand attend many shoots and accumulate points that put them in the top standing for All-American points. However, when the team is chosen, they only take your top 7 scores and a lot of these people fall to the wayside and cannot make the team. ;) BTW, was it supposed to be Fartgo? 😁😁
He's a great player. Not even close to 'dead money'. World-class 14.1 player as well.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So wait a minute, the last 16 players from the winners side were shuffled around to play the last sixteen players from the losers side in a single race elimination round? How the heck does that make sense? Or did I read that wrong?
So the winners still have an advantage because they are playing losers. This format has been used in many events for years. Makes perfect sense.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the winners still have an advantage because they are playing losers. This format has been used in many events for years. Makes perfect sense.
Either do single-elim. or DCC's buyback method. Having a part double/part single elimination is just stupid. You make it to the SE round and lose to someone whose already lost and you're out?? Seriously?? Stupid system.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously you know more than me Jay, but the player I saw today and even in his win yesterday against Al-Awadhi is far from a top player at least in 9 ball. I understand he was the top Russian before Gorst but I can't see him as " mostly in the money" guy the way he played yesterday and today.
These are the previous matchups between Ruslan and Shane that are in FargoRate.

Aggregate record at this point is Ruslan 51, SVB 48 ---pretty close...

1635607998675.png

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Chinakov is far from being "dead money," far from it! He has beaten many of the top players at one time or another and is definitely one of the top 50 players in the world today, probably more like top 30. You must have him confused with someone else.
He also said Earl lost to a no name player, that player was Dennis Grabe. This clown knows nothing

VVP

Registered
These are the previous matchups between Ruslan and Shane that are in FargoRate.

Aggregate record at this point is Ruslan 51, SVB 48 ---pretty close...

View attachment 614726
What does this prove? Whenever any of you are ready to bet that Earl or Chinakov will get to the final 8 in a MAJOR 9 ball tournament let me know. In the money for me is not $1,000 which I am sure will not cover expenses. Chinakov got to the final 8 of this event through luck of the draw. Very simple

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does this prove? Whenever any of you are ready to bet that Earl or Chinakov will get to the final 8 in a MAJOR 9 ball tournament let me know. In the money for me is not $1,000 which I am sure will not cover expenses. Chinakov got to the final 8 of this event through luck of the draw. Very simple

you're just wrong.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're clueless. I wouldn't start handicapping pool matches for a living anytime soon.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought the PPV for the last day. How cool would it be to see Dennis v Shane in the finals? It would be like the US Open from, what, 7-8 years ago.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I just bought the PPV for the last day. How cool would it be to see Dennis v Shane in the finals? It would be like the US Open from, what, 7-8 years ago.
We're halfway there, Dennis is in the finals. He's one tough hombre.

Gonna' be tough for Shane to beat Albin though, I think Albin's been playing the best of anyone.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
We're halfway there, Dennis is in the finals. He's one tough hombre.

Gonna' be tough for Shane to beat Albin though, I think Albin's been playing the best of anyone.
Yeah Albin has looked really good. Dennis has been playing well, but starting slow, which is tough (but not impossible) to overcome with alternate breaks. Albin and Shane have been the most consistently good throughout the sets, with Albin more so IMO.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid for the final two days (10/29 and 10/30). I got kicked out toward the end of the Dennis/James match and when I log out and log back in I'm being told I have to buy the last day (10/31?) to get access. 10/30 is the last day, which I paid for. WTF?