SVB to Kick Off High Run Attempts

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the basket ball shots was incredible in one hour.

even with helpers. but were they allowed to lower the pressure in a standard basketball? or lower the hoop height? or widen it?
or make the backboard dead so balls would more easily bounce in? what was the standard?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He ran the balls but not in match play. That counts for shit. Except he did it twice!

To the best of my knowledge, what Greenleaf, and other champions of the era did, was to sometimes play block matches -- with stops in like six city -- to 1200 points.

Lou Figueroa

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I grew up in a poolroom form pre K. Willie's poolroom was 200 miles away if that. He owed much of his success in pool to Ralph. His teacher. It might be in Willies Bio. It was common knowledge in was Halls upstate in the early and mid 60's into the 70's.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the very LEAST, John Schmidt should have been INVITED to be interviewed so HE could shed some light on what it takes mentality AND emotionally to get on the table and face what these competitors are facing at this event. HIS insight in an interview would have brought you guys a ton of credibility, and NO ONE would have said one negative word about whats taking place today, and JS wouldn't even have had to shoot a single ball, but at the end of your event, respect could have been given to JS if everyone who attends fails to surpass HIS record of 626....by then ASKING him if he'd like to take a shot at breaking his OWN record in front of the viewing public, and GOD as a witness!!! THAT'S REAL PUBLIC RELATIONS!!!!!

JS has had plenty of time to be interviewed to shed light on anything he wants, it's not his God given right to be invited to anything. And look at you trying to tell someone else how to run their event.....too funny.....

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I grew up in a poolroom form pre K. Willie's poolroom was 200 miles away if that. He owed much of his success in pool to Ralph. His teacher. It might be in Willies Bio. It was common knowledge in was Halls upstate in the early and mid 60's into the 70's.
No, Moscoi's autobiography says nothing about such a run by Greenleaf. But the book does contain the information that Irving Crane set the exhibition high-run record of 309 in 1939 and Mosconi equaled it in 1945. Talking about his own run of 309, Mosconi said "... no one but Crane had ever run 300 before." The next increments to the high-run record were 322 and then 365, both by Mosconi in 1953, after Greenleaf had died. So I guess any really long run by Greenleaf would have been in practice (as you indicated).

Sam Korte, an AzB member with the screen name kling&allen, did a lot of research on Greenleaf and wrote a book about him last year. I'll send a message to Sam to see if he'll chime in on the claim of a 1,200-ball run (or two of them!) by Greenleaf.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The game was line em up. He was so good the game of straight had to be changed because no one in the world could compete at his level.
Much like todays cloth they dummied the game down to make it where more people could compete at a higher level.
So put some old heavy cloth on a table.
Open the pockets to maybe a half inch bigger and run almost 100 racks.
I was told 10 foot tables!
That and Good luck!
Nick :).

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, Moscoi's autobiography says nothing about such a run by Greenleaf. But the book does contain the information that Irving Crane set the exhibition high-run record of 309 in 1939 and Mosconi equaled it in 1945. Talking about his own run of 309, Mosconi said "... no one but Crane had ever run 300 before." The next increments to the high-run record were 322 and then 365, both by Mosconi in 1953, after Greenleaf had died. So I guess any really long run by Greenleaf would have been in practice (as you indicated).

Sam Korte, an AzB member with the screen name kling&allen, did a lot of research on Greenleaf and wrote a book about him last year. I'll send a message to Sam to see if he'll chime in on the claim of a 1,200-ball run (or two of them!) by Greenleaf.
The 309's by Willie and Irving were on 10 foot tables, the standard of the day.
It would be interesting to see how many balls todays best 14.1 players could run on a 5x10.
Is there any modern high runs on a 5x10?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The game was line em up. He was so good the game of straight had to be changed because no one in the world could compete at his level.
Much like todays cloth they dummied the game down to make it where more people could compete at a higher level.
So put some old heavy cloth on a table.
Open the pockets to maybe a half inch bigger and run almost 100 racks.
I was told 10 foot tables!
That and Good luck!
Nick :).

You might be thinking of the various straight rail and balkline games that had to be changed every few years to allow better competition. The best straight rail players could "nurse" a ball against the rail for hours--achieving frequent runs of 600+ points. But that's vastly different than runs in 14.1. And balkline quickly died once Greenleaf and others started playing 14.1.

Pre-WW2 straight pool was typically played on a 10 foot table and 5+ inch corner pockets. But no one ran 100 racks or anything close to it. They didn't have the time or incentive.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 309's by Willie and Irving were on 10 foot tables, the standard of the day.
It would be interesting to see how many balls todays best 14.1 players could run on a 5x10.
Is there any modern high runs on a 5x10?
At DCC a few years ago they used a 10' table for the 14.1 event. Only one player ran 100 balls for the entire event.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
At DCC a few years ago they used a 10' table for the 14.1 event. Only one player ran 100 balls for the entire event.

Given the recent standard on the big table events, I bet we’d see bigger runs if they brought the 10 foot table back for a 14.1 challenge event.

gerryf

Wrldpro,

Last night on FB, you said
"Thanks again to Shane VanBoening for an exciting week of some great 14.1 high runs! We greatly appreciate it! His top five runs were 308,295,257,241,210."

I can see four of those runs, but the 257 doesn't show up on any of the videos?

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wrldpro,

Last night on FB, you said
"Thanks again to Shane VanBoening for an exciting week of some great 14.1 high runs! We greatly appreciate it! His top five runs were 308,295,257,241,210."

I can see four of those runs, but the 257 doesn't show up on any of the videos?
257 was on Monday