Ball storage when not in use

chenjy9

A buddy of mine recently visited and we started to shoot some pool. One of the things that surprised him was that I took the balls out of their box in the beginning and put the balls back into the box again when we were done. He was confused as to why I did that and my answer was so that they don't get damaged or dusty/dirty. He responded that he has never seen anyone else do that.

My question is this; do the rest of you just leave the balls in the pockets and I am just being ridiculous or do you all also store the balls when done with your playing session?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only store the sets I'm not using in their box. The ball set that I am playing with that day, week, month stay in either the ball storage rack or ball return tray of my Gold Crown I. I do not return them to their box for each use.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve stored balls in their box for years.

What ever set I have on a table at home I leave out.

I’ve taken balls to some rooms because the house balls were wore out garbage.

“Take care of your balls and they will take care of you!!”

All I have on this topic,
Fatboy😀

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damaged? I can't think of a scenario of how they could get damaged stored in your drop pockets .

If you keep your table covered up, how are they going to get dirty?

chenjy9

Damaged? I can't think of a scenario of how they could get damaged stored in your drop pockets .

If you keep your table covered up, how are they going to get dirty?

Dust is like like the frogs from Jurassic Park... "Life finds a way!" More truthfully, I just tend to be overly careful about things I probably don't need to be, for example with my rifles. :p

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A buddy of mine recently visited and we started to shoot some pool. One of the things that surprised him was that I took the balls out of their box in the beginning and put the balls back into the box again when we were done. He was confused as to why I did that and my answer was so that they don't get damaged or dusty/dirty. He responded that he has never seen anyone else do that.

My question is this; do the rest of you just leave the balls in the pockets and I am just being ridiculous or do you all also store the balls when done with your playing session?
Yes(leave in the pockets), yes(this is kinda ridiculous/anal), and no(do not put in box).

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Left out in light phenolic balls will eventually yellow. My good, old set of centennials are slightly yellowed, doesn’t effect how they play and I kinda like the look - it says quality balls to me. Ever notice grayed balls? These are crappy polyester balls left in the light, like you’d see in a bar box at a biker bar. If you want to keep your balls white put them somewhere dark. Otherwise I wouldn’t worry about ‘damage’, like what’s gonna happen to them if you just leave them on the table or in the pockets? Then again, my kids were a bit of a terror (like I’d been told the old man was).

mrpiper

Registered
I have about 16 or 17 sets now. I change them out every few weeks. As I change them out, I clean the set that is leaving and put them in the box so they are good as new when they rotate back in.

What I am currently playing with for the next few weeks stays on the table / in the pockets.

Also, if not cleaned, I feel I am adding crud to the box. Only clean balls go in the box so only clean balls come out of the box.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have about 16 or 17 sets now. I change them out every few weeks. As I change them out, I clean the set that is leaving and put them in the box so they are good as new when they rotate back in.

What I am currently playing with for the next few weeks stays on the table / in the pockets.

Also, if not cleaned, I feel I am adding crud to the box. Only clean balls go in the box so only clean balls come out of the box.
can I use a set that you are not presently using???