How many people here play with a fancy custom cue?

tomatoshooter

I've been admiring the custom cues and was wondering how many people play with them as a main cue. I guess I have a bit of a thing where I can appreciate the utility of a good cue and I can appreciate the art and craftsmanship of these customs but for some reason I don't want both in the same object. Maybe I don't want a piece of fine art to get banged up or my budget can't pay for quality and beauty. I have similar feelings about guitars, too. So do a lot of you play with a super fancy cue? Is it your main cue? Do you have a backup cue for if you just want to shoot a few racks at the local bar?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
did that & got over the fancy cue thing many years ago

merry widows made by an experienced cue maker with a solid rep, of which there are many, play as well as their high $$$ "fancy" cues

in the event you order a cue specify old growth, seasoned shafts

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I will take out to bang around with tomorrow.

Not fancy at all.

It is my not-so-Sneaky Bastard cue.

Half Murray Tucker (butt) and half Dennis Searing (shaft).

I call it a Dennis Tucker.

6D34EC52-6659-4E3B-BFB0-AA1B7ABD8F3B.jpeg

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
I've been admiring the custom cues and was wondering how many people play with them as a main cue. I guess I have a bit of a thing where I can appreciate the utility of a good cue and I can appreciate the art and craftsmanship of these customs but for some reason I don't want both in the same object. Maybe I don't want a piece of fine art to get banged up or my budget can't pay for quality and beauty. I have similar feelings about guitars, too. So do a lot of you play with a super fancy cue? Is it your main cue? Do you have a backup cue for if you just want to shoot a few racks at the local bar?
Used to but don't any longer. I have owned cues I would be embarrassed to use today. Same with cars.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
whatever I shoot the best with cheap or expensive is my main cue. I’ll use my trusty $400 cue at peak time though. On fancy customs. I think most cue makers make their cues to be played with.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I go, my cues go. That why I had Gil Castillo make me a 6x12 case.
If I had to decide which cue to play with, I’d first have to pick a cue case.

Well, even if it was a 3x6, I’d still have a hard time choosing which 3 cues.
So anything smaller makes the selection even harder and anything larger,
heck, I might as well just stick with my 6x12 case since a 4x8 is so close.

I don’t have any player cues and I’m needlessly exposing the majority of
my collection to risk carrying a 6x12 case. I’ll concede that but my cues
are always within my sight or that of a friend if I’m go to the head. And if
someone tries robbing me, I’m prepared to convince them it’s a bad idea.

The reason for owning these cues is to enjoy them so I don’t often decide
what cue I’ll play with until I open my case. And then it’s becomes more
like which cue I haven’t played with in a while. If I had to pick a favorite
cue, it’d be the cue I was using until I switched & then that cue would be it.

It is just too hard to decide so I use a 6x12 cue case and the cue designs
are admittedly ornate. Four cues are my own designs so I’m partial to them.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Do you have a backup cue for if you just want to shoot a few racks at the local bar?
JMHO because people can do what they want with their money but will add that braggadocios can get old.:rolleyes:

Up to $1,500.00 meets/exceeds my needs at home or hall. Whether custom or nice production doesn't matter. I'd consider a custom for the design I like. Quality is what's important to me in cues, lighting, weapons, dogs, etc. Buy once, cry once perspective. There's nothing I own that from my perspective is - "the best-of-the-best-of-the-best". In other words, are you a better player with a $3,200 cue than you are $1,000 cue be it custom or production?

Cues in the price range I own can and will get played anywhere. I am not a collector nor do I feel the need to "show them off". I have an Instroke 3x6 that houses a nice McDermott, an old Adams sneaky and a Sledgehammer break cue. I shoot as well or as badly with the cue that cost $100.00 back in the early 80's as the one that cost $1,500.00 a couple years ago.

My 1911's are Colt and Kimber. I've never felt the need to go Wilson Combat or "custom build". Not that some guys aren't and more power to them.

My suggestion is be confident about what's important to you not what others think. Today I'll play about 30 games with the old sneaky and it's in excellent condition, straight as new and would be just as devastating to get "banged up". That's why no one but me handles her.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cues that I presently own that are fairly valuable are listed below. I play with every one of them because appreciating their playability is a major reason that I own them. That being said, since I no longer have a home billiard table, I am selective as to where I do bring these cues to play- it must be smoke free, relatively uncrowded so that they are not getting bumped around when uncased, and in ANY circumstances, they are never left alone at any point in the pool room, including visits to the head- either a trusted person is eyeing them or they go in with me- period- never lost a cue to theft.
As others have stated, if I am going to play where I may be leaving a room at night into a parking lot carrying several thousand dollars worth of cues/case , I do have sidearm in my possession- I believe in the right to protect my property.

As for playing in a bar, or a smokey or crowded or perhaps more threatening type of atmosphere ( it IS pool after all and some places are just that way) - I have a complete set of case/break cue and playing cue - that. cost me maybe $250 all together, but I can play a very good game with this equipment, and this set up is specifically for where my more custom and expensive cues/cases will never venture- this works well for me.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play with a Pred or Schon. I have a nice custom I used and got scratched,dinged,etc. I had it refinished by Proficient and never used it again. Now it’s sitting doing nothing. Strange balance to this. I try to tell myself cues are best enjoyed when played with.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only own one cue with any inlays. The only part of the cue I don’t like are the inlays. It is the best player I have ever owned and used to be my main player until I had it refinished.

For pool halls, my playing cue is a plain custom. For bars, I bring my Meucci Sneaky Pete.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of my life I played with a basic looking cue.

Then I found a Boar that plays amazing. It’s fancy. I thought about painting it black until I retired it. I’m not into using a flashy fancy cue. But it played too nice too pass up. Spoke to Tony about doing the temp blackout job on it. Never happened.

I much prefer players to be basic looking. But hit/feel>looks. So I’m playing with a fancy cue for the last few years.

Best
Fatboy

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
B
This is what I will take out to bang around with tomorrow.

Not fancy at all.

It is my not-so-Sneaky Bastard cue.

Half Murray Tucker (butt) and half Dennis Searing (shaft).

I call it a Dennis Tucker.

View attachment 617087
I had one of those. Schon butt, TS shaft.
Called it my Frankenschon because the hit of the Scruggs shaft was so sweet the Schon proprietary joint was replaced with a standard 5/16"-14 joint with 1/2" pilot.

My lady has it now because she is a Schon collector and loves the colored veneers. Still borrow it when the urge strikes.

TS is on my short list.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fancy has different meaning to different people. I'd consider a "fancy" cue to be one that costs several thousand dollars with lots of intricate inlays, etc. Some people may consider my cue "fancy". I consider it my player; it's the best hitting cue I've ever owned made by Jerry Rauenzahn to my specs. Cost was $3K, worth every penny.

35972615400_b1d63c64ca_b.jpg