How many people here play with a fancy custom cue?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
My cue is a tool. Form follows function. I have customized my Joss made for Cole in the '80s. The wrap came unravel Ed, and I liked the feel so left it off. Under the wrap in ink it had, "Cole" and the date. Through my use since around '87 that is worn away. I have added a pvc butt extension of about 2". With minimal added weight. The ivory ferul is cracked but solid. The butt has been broken and repaired. So it should not be worth it for a thief. I treat it as if priceless. I don't leave it in cue stands. In public rooms it goes with me to the urinal. While standing at the urinal I had placed it against the wall and paper dispenser just in my periferal vision. The thief passing behind me had snatched and was heading for the toilet enclosure. Over my shoulder I said, "You've got ahold of a lot more than you want to fuck with." The cue was immediately replaced and before I could turn around he was locked in the stall.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Most of my life I played with a basic looking cue.

Then I found a Boar that plays amazing. It’s fancy. I thought about painting it black until I retired it. I’m not into using a flashy fancy cue. But it played too nice too pass up. Spoke to Tony about doing the temp blackout job on it. Never happened.

I much prefer players to be basic looking. But hit/feel>looks. So I’m playing with a fancy cue for the last few years.

Best
Fatboy

Think CJWiley painted some special Cue BLACK to hide the true Cue.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I've seen that a few times, that don't fool anybody. Best to just have a nice midrange cue that says I'm enough of a pool player that I invested in a personal cue and might bet a few bucks.

If your a scuffler you are looking to pretty much play the lower eschelon of players. If your looking to match up with the best in town I doubt they care what cue you play with.

Bar pool is a whole other thing. If it is the old time challenge table type place, you better learn to play with ever is on the wall. In most cases that is good enough seeing you are usually playing completely non players and you are just looking to grind out a nights pay.

Often though you run into a pretty good player who wants to match up. In that case you just say something like you didn't expect to be playing pool but you will go get your cue and be back.

All kinds of situations come up and you deal with them. Most important is you can't play like a complete incompetent idiot. If the opportunity comes up to maybe make a score you need to be able to shift gears and not have it look rediclous.

Just the fact that you are betting a little more and playing harder can easily account for your seeming improvement.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I seem to recall hearing that, or he told me.

Mark Tadd had a Budweiser cue that looked like a $20 junk cue. I don’t remember what it really was, but it was one hell of a cue. Played amazing. Could tell by looking the shaft it wasn’t a POS.

If I was traveling and playing for sure I’d have painted my Boar black to hide it.

Much as I love fancy cues, using them as players feels weird to me.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of my life I played with a basic looking cue.

Then I found a Boar that plays amazing. It’s fancy. I thought about painting it black until I retired it. I’m not into using a flashy fancy cue. But it played too nice too pass up. Spoke to Tony about doing the temp blackout job on it. Never happened.

I much prefer players to be basic looking. But hit/feel>looks. So I’m playing with a fancy cue for the last few years.

Best
Fatboy
Wrap duct tape around it.

They may think you are Earl.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with all mine: (no CF and no layered tips for me) ~
R. Howard - 4pt/4v - Ebony into BEM - Ivory joint - 2001
Dzuricky - Fancy sneaky - 2021
McDermott EB-5 Merry Widow - early'90's
Mali Merry Widow - early '90's
Pechauer - Naked Black Ice Break - still new 2021

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Tadd had a Budweiser cue that looked like a $20 junk cue. I don’t remember what it really was, but it was one hell of a cue. Played amazing. Could tell by looking the shaft it wasn’t a POS.

If I was traveling and playing for sure I’d have painted my Boar black to hide it.

I’ve got a Budweiser Sugartree. Great cue

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jim Buss would convert Budwiser cues, pairing the butt with a nice shaft, ferrule, and tip.

Lou Figueroa

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a custom cue I paid $200 dollars for a couple years ago. You gotta know where to look.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Buss would convert Budwiser cues, pairing the butt with a nice shaft, ferrule, and tip.

Lou Figueroa
Very interesting, more than once in my playing career someone's playing ability just was not matching up to their lame looking cue ( many were Taiwan looking POS), but if you started to get suspicious, I would always check out the shaft- and those always looked like the real deal- so then you knew what was really going down.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My playing cue is a custom cue. But nothing fancy about it at all, no inlays, no points. Just some nice rings.
YoungAtHeart, Howdy;

Same here, I'm not a fan of inlays or other "Blingy" stuff. Nicely finished with a IL wrap
and a full set of rings is all.

hank

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are three more that aren’t too fancy.

Top - Jackpot - Ebony Merry Widow with camphor burl handle
Center - John Chaplin (Coos Cues) - Cocobolo Merry Widow with sindora burl handle
Bottom - Jackpot - Ebony Merry Widow with maple handle

4C3B26D2-09F5-4F73-A184-8374145A9E12.jpeg

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hawaiian Eye is right…..fancy smancy as used to be said years ago……the look has nothing to do with liking it.

If you are lucky to stumble upon a cue that feels good, doesn’t matter how you acquired the cue nor how much
you paid. As long as it fulfills your expectations and pleases you, then you’ve achieved what some spend a whole
lifetime pursuing. Those are the folks that pick cues by trial and error. They like a particular cue until they get to try
someone else’s and then that’s what they want until they try another. And then there’s also the “I don’t care” crowd.

Just hand them a cue, doesn’t matter what the shaft size is or the weight; a cue is a cue & that’s all they need to know.
But could they or would they play any better if they had a cue that felt different, more subtle balance or shaft wood that
was different than what they’ve used even down to the taper length? I dunno but I do know that they don’t know either.

The challenge is having a cue built to your specs is you first have to know what you prefer and why or else just get a
19 oz. cue that you can always sell or trade. The solution is taking the time to try different cues & ask about the specs.

Don’t be surprised to learn more players than not don’t know what their cue’s specs are and they often answer using
the term “around”, ex. around 19 ozs or around 13 mm shafts. But they really don’t know, like how heavy is the weight
bolt in your cue? They have no idea but to those that subscribe to the “ I don’t care” club, I suppose it doesn’t matter.

The beauty of having a cue built to the specifications you want is there’s a uniqueness to the balance and feel. Get in
touch with a pool cue’s anatomy and just like a wood worker has the choices of many different types of wood and the
design, so does a cue maker but on a miniature scale. He has to stage construction of all the components that have been separately milled to assemble a seamless completion of the original design while being mindful of the final weight.

I asked Bob Owen to build a cue with a butt weight of 14.5 ozs. and the butt had fancy rings (32 inlays ea.) as did the
joint collar. There was just a lot of inlays to the cue and I did not want any weight bolt used but I wanted the butt cored
to accept headless bolts in case I ever wanted to add weight. The joint was a big pin flat ivory. Bob had to consider this
when he was building my cue design and before he started, I told him I could live with 5-7 grams difference either way
since there was a lot to do. His reaction was that’s great but I don’t think it will be necessary & you should be pleased.

When I cue arrived, I was dazzled by how it turned out. It has a high wow number but how heavy was it? The cue butt
weighed 14.55 ozs. I was very impressed since the weight was dead on and the appearance was all I wanted it to be.

He built the cue shafts using the taper & shaft sizes & weight I wanted (>4 ozs.). It was masterfully completed. Now to
the “I don’t care” audience none of that matters in the slightest. But most players that try my cues ask about the weight
and how much different it felt which they enjoyed. I had the cues built alike so that I can just choose any cue. It made
it so simple that way and besides, the specs work well for my tastes. I think everyone at some point should have a cue
they can say….this is it……wouldn’t change a thing……and I’m blessed to be able to say I have several, except for one
cue. It plays like rolling thunder. Wow, what a delightful cue and boy, I really screwed the pooch over designing that cue.

It is my ugly duckling pool cue and OMG, fancy too which only worsens the experience. But it does play so great I can’t
resist using it despite that I have so many other great cues. I use it around friends otherwise I’ll just pick a different cue.
Ask other players about their cues & be prepared for a wide range of answers, including unsurprisingly “I don’t know.”

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve got a few choices and the one I like best happens to be a nice custom so that’s what I use. If I liked any of the other less expensive cues better I’d be using one of them, but I’m not going to own something and not use it.