"Upgrading" from a Diamond to a Valley...

g-string

Sounds like you have a great table already. I would just start back to shooting more basic shots. Use less English and if yo need to get the ball down table a little follow. Practice a lot of basic shots but shoot them like your life is on the line. Good luck. Hope you get your game back.

Hoogaar

Registered
I've realized in the last year or so that my greatest enjoyment with pool is "banging balls". I'll practice some drills here and there to try to improve some deficiencies, but my favorite thing in the world is putting on a good record, a nice pour of scotch, and just bang some balls in. And THAT is a lot more fun on a better table than not.

All that said - if your priority is doing better in league - I would suggest perhaps working on systems that allow you to adapt to different conditions better. I absolutely suck at changing conditions. Takes me forever to adapt, but I have a few friends who are much better than me and when we get to a new hall for a tournament or whatever, they've got themselves a nice little routine where they send some balls 1 rail, 2 rails, 3 rails, a few stop shots and a few other things, and BAM, they're good to go. Takes them no more than a few minutes. Pisses me off to be honest - suppose I should learn too and stop being angry :)

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've realized in the last year or so that my greatest enjoyment with pool is "banging balls". I'll practice some drills here and there to try to improve some deficiencies, but my favorite thing in the world is putting on a good record, a nice pour of scotch, and just bang some balls in. And THAT is a lot more fun on a better table than not.
Change that scotch to Bourbon and a good buddy's company, and I'd agree too.
Sometimes it's very soothing and nice just to enjoy the greatest game there is without putting any pressure on myself to perform. Can't do it too often because I still enjoy to compete ;)

Hoogaar

Registered
Change that scotch to Bourbon and a good buddy's company, and I'd agree too.
Sometimes it's very soothing and nice just to enjoy the greatest game there is without putting any pressure on myself to perform. Can't do it too often because I still enjoy to compete ;)
Oh, the bourbon gets love here too. Just finished a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, and picked up 2 bottle of Blanton's last week. Working on a bottle of Aberfeldy before starting on one of those :)

I'm also very competitive, or at least I used to be. I think I may have overestimated my abilities when I was younger and thought with hard work and practice I could compete for provincial titles. Now? I still play to win, but I get more satisfaction at home than in any pool hall around here.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, the bourbon gets love here too. Just finished a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, and picked up 2 bottle of Blanton's last week. Working on a bottle of Aberfeldy before starting on one of those :)

I'm also very competitive, or at least I used to be. I think I may have overestimated my abilities when I was younger and thought with hard work and practice I could compete for provincial titles. Now? I still play to win, but I get more satisfaction at home than in any pool hall around here.
BLANTONS, so jelly.... I only one bottle left and one bottle of Eagle Rare left... having trouble finding more 😔

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did find a Weller Special Reserve the other day, I thought it was pretty good for $24 bucks.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Keep the diamond. Work on your game. When you get to play on a valley, it's much easier, just shoot pool. If you get out of line, play safe. You'll never find two valleys that play the same, so even if you buy one it won't be like the one you play on at league.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
BLANTONS, so jelly.... I only one bottle left and one bottle of Eagle Rare left... having trouble finding more 😔
I live about 30 minutes from Buffalo Trace Distillery in Kentucky (home of Blantons). Just got here, so have not done the "Bourbon Trail Tours" yet. Heard they are great !!

Hoogaar

Registered
Went in to a liquor store last week and they had about 50 bottles. I got 2 and immediately felt I should have got more. Debated all night, went back the next morning and they were all gone. Next time I’m cleaning them out.

Never had Eagle’s Rare. Looking forward to trying that.

Sorry for the thread derail :)

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on a GC IV and a Valley 88 often enough. Have you tried practicing on the Diamond with a magnetic cue ball? I think that is the big difference.

simplestroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went in to a liquor store last week and they had about 50 bottles. I got 2 and immediately felt I should have got more. Debated all night, went back the next morning and they were all gone. Next time I’m cleaning them out.

Never had Eagle’s Rare. Looking forward to trying that.

Sorry for the thread derail :)
Nah, bourbon is probably the best way to wrap this up!

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on a GC IV and a Valley 88 often enough. Have you tried practicing on the Diamond with a magnetic cue ball? I think that is the big difference.
I just played in a 10 ball tournament in Panama City that uses a heavy magnetic cue ball. WOW, did it screw me up and totally changed the game. I couldn’t draw that ball to s@ve my life🤣

tomatoshooter

I just played in a 10 ball tournament in Panama City that uses a heavy magnetic cue ball. WOW, did it screw me up and totally changed the game. I couldn’t draw that ball to s@ve my life🤣
I hate that. I don't mind adapting to tables, within reason, but it's frustrating when the equipment means you're not playing the same game.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Keep the diamond, I play on everything from my modified Brunswick 8 foot. To a Vally coin table at some local bars, and diamonds at a local pool hall. Just get warmed up on what you using for the night. Your best be is to just buy a heavier cue ball to practice with before going out for the night to you leagues. Just adjust to the equipment. I think that you'd regret getting rid of your diamond table to be honest.