Snooker player Shaun Murphy says Amateurs shouldnt be allowed to play with pros....

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read Murphy's comments. I think he's wrong on a bunch of points, such as:

Si is living in a foreign country, trying to excel at a sport the locals dominate. He probably faces a lot of the reaction that Ding got about 10 years ago when he played O'Sullivan in a big event. The audience was not pleasant. Si may feel a huge responsibility to his family or whoever sponsored him to live in England. I don't think Murphy has any idea what pressures Si faces.

The top players already get a number of "favors" from the tour. There are several events, such as the recently completed Champion of Champions, that are by invitation and basically only the top players are there. They also normally have full seeding in the events, so that #1 starts with #128 in a 128-player field, etc.

Also, I think Si is an amateur only by the definition of not being on the tour right now. He was on the tour but fell off due to low results. He's doing his best to get back on. It's not like he is a potato farmer who normally only plays against numpties at the Grange.

Edit: I see that Murphy has won about $550,000 in the last two years. It sounded like he wasn't going to make his room rent.
Good points.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I at one time gave myself a lecture because I pre judged Murphy. I thought of him as Mr Yuck Sticker. I thought I rooted against him simply because of his physical appearance. Now I have a reason to pull for his opponents. 😉

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Classy guy. For a pool player that is. He should be used to the taste of shit by now. Sounds like he eats a lot of it.
Nick :)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It's funny in the U.K snooker does not require dead money. In the U.S many pro players insist they should be allowed to compete in amateur tournaments (because they claim to be making amateurs better). Totally opposite!
That's so true. They want that dead money, they need that dead money, the live for that dead money. And every year, in whatever tourney, some local amateur always wins a match against a pro or knocks one out of the event sometimes. I've never heard them whine about it, but they knew going in it was an "open" event and they have to be able to beat local shortstops ;) But, I got he's mad about it, but we all probably know he's really more mad at himself, and he's lashing out. Not that I have ever done such a thing ;)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Years ago a beginner gave me a lesson in maturity. In a little Friday night tournament I had not played well and the beginning player won. I knew I needed to be courteous and at least pretend to congratulate at the handshake. Then I could go sit and be Grumpy. He caught me off guard and moved in for a hug. I didn't know him!! But it was an enlightening moment. Put it all in perspective for me. Brought a smile and I could then genuinely congratulate him. I never considered that he viewed me as a Big Gun. At least I could share his exuberant moment.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's so true. They want that dead money, they need that dead money, the live for that dead money. And every year, in whatever tourney, some local amateur always wins a match against a pro or knocks one out of the event sometimes. I've never heard them whine about it, but they knew going in it was an "open" event and they have to be able to beat local shortstops ;) But, I got he's mad about it, but we all probably know he's really more mad at himself, and he's lashing out. Not that I have ever done such a thing ;)

👍
This is what borescopes my colon....
Bob posted that Murphy made 550000 in two years. Without looking it up myself, have no idea if that was US dollars, or British pounds. If pounds, 550000 USD would be 375550 pounds sterling. If it was 500000 pounds, that equates to $665777.00 USD.

But for evaluation, let's use the lower figure of $500000.00 USD in two years. Shaun makes a quarter of a million per year.... and he thinks his "living" is being given away to someone that shouldn't be there?

Let's break that down a little...

First, Si Jiahui wasnt "given" anything. HE EARNED IT!

Second....Si didn't threaten his living. Si threatened his LIFESTYLE.

And your right..... when it comes down to it, he's really angry at himself.

Last edited:

CanadianGuy

Pro Snooker has an absolutely brutal system for qualification. IMO, they need to make these events true opens and require steep entrance fees for the amateurs. I'm sure the pros wouldn't mind so much playing amateurs if their fees added a few extra hundred grand to the purses.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda surprised they let am's keep prize money. The USGA has pretty tight reg's on what constitutes a pro vs. am in golf. Am's can compete w/pro's but they can't win $$ or they forfeit am status. About the only golf events where am's can go head-2-head with pro's are the US and British Opens and the Masters.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Just watched a couple smaller players on Matchroom. About to start the next set. Yan Bingtao and On Yee Ng(female) could be interesting.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Years ago a beginner gave me a lesson in maturity. In a little Friday night tournament I had not played well and the beginning player won. I knew I needed to be courteous and at least pretend to congratulate at the handshake. Then I could go sit and be Grumpy. He caught me off guard and moved in for a hug. I didn't know him!! But it was an enlightening moment. Put it all in perspective for me. Brought a smile and I could then genuinely congratulate him. I never considered that he viewed me as a Big Gun. At least I could share his exuberant moment.
This gives me claim to the title, Mature Gentleman. So when my opponent refered to me as That Old C S to the tournament director, I was given the option. My reply was to the gist of, I take that as a term of endearment and know he ment Mature Gentleman. Let's decide this on the table. (I won)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
She just potted the long red with tension but wobble the second red. A gentleman would make it quick and merciful. 😉

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Yan finished with a double on the pink. Hopefully the apprentice learn from this experience.
All professional Player should support the apprenticeship program.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In related news, the defending champion, Neil Robertson, was just smashed out of the tournament by "amateur" John Astley. The score was 6-2.
Kinda surprised they let am's keep prize money. The USGA has pretty tight reg's on what constitutes a pro vs. am in golf. Am's can compete w/pro's but they can't win $$ or they forfeit am status. About the only golf events where am's can go head-2-head with pro's are the US and British Opens and the Masters.
Golf has clung to an ancient definition of "amateur". In snooker is just means you are not officially on the pro tour. It has nothing to do with having ever accepted prize money. Remember when the Olympics were entirely "amateur"?