Dimond ball cleaner RPM

It skid

Just buy the friggin’ Diamond ball polisher like most of us did. You won’t replicate it perfectly. The money will be long forgotten while you play with pristine ball sets.

Oh, and don't argue with RKC. He will wear you out and you won’t win.
LOL

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Could be, most aren't. These blower motors generally are connected to a squirrel cage much like you believe, however the assembly is then mounted within the plenum. The air passes over/through the motor as it travels through the plenum on it's way to the squirrel cage.

Again, generally.
You are aware of the fact that the Dayton fan motors have a thermal protection shut down on them, right? If the motor starts to overheat, it shuts the motor off to protect it from overheating so the windings in the motor don't burn up, and once its cooled down, it kicks back on.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are aware of the fact that the Dayton fan motors have a thermal protection shut down on them, right? If the motor starts to overheat, it shuts the motor off to protect it from overheating so the windings in the motor don't burn up, and once its cooled down, it kicks back on.
I ran my polisher for 3-4-5 hours straight and never had it shut down.

When Jay and I were buying up pool rooms I had stacks of old balls. Run them long enough and they come out 95% like new. So I’d just spin up set after set.

I have a bit of a rattle now in the polisher, I haven’t fixed it cause I haven’t been using it much, I’m sure it’s not a big deal.

Point is that polisher runs forever, no issues. I wish everything I owned worked so well. I’ve said that here many many times.

I got mine in the cheap, good to have good friends. But if I paid double I’d still be happy with the value.

Best
Fatboy<——-polishing his balls one set at a time ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If my Diamond polisher did that to anyone of my 3 sets of ball sets I would beyond salty. After 6 years of use on 3 brand new sets of balls (plus numerous other sets when friends brought theirs over)they have always come out nicer than when going in.
Was your takeaway that a diamond polisher did that ball chewin?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Wasn't aware of any of the specifics of that motor until I googled it, and followed the link to the Dayton website. However once that extremely brief search was completed, I was indeed aware of it's thermal protection. Are you aware that the internal thermal protection of a motor (if provided) is not a control method, and if you're running into it you're application is flawed by design..?

Just to be fair with you. You discussing this with me is akin to me telling you how to wrap rails on a diamond. We all have our areas of expertise. This conversation happens to land smack dab in the middle of mine.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When Jay and I were buying up pool rooms I had stacks of old balls. Run them long enough and they come out 95% like new. So I’d just spin up set after set.

I have a bit of a rattle now in the polisher, I haven’t fixed it cause I haven’t been using it much, I’m sure it’s not a big deal.

Point is that polisher runs forever, no issues. I wish everything I owned worked so well. I’ve said that here many many times.

I got mine in the cheap, good to have good friends. But if I paid double I’d still be happy with the value.

Best
Worth every penny. Sometimes double that!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Wasn't aware of any of the specifics of that motor until I googled it, and followed the link to the Dayton website. However once that extremely brief search was completed, I was indeed aware of it's thermal protection. Are you aware that the internal thermal protection of a motor (if provided) is not a control method, and if you're running into it you're application is flawed by design..?

Just to be fair with you. You discussing this with me is akin to me telling you how to wrap rails on a diamond. We all have our areas of expertise. This conversation happens to land smack dab in the middle of mine.
I agree, if the motor ever shuts down for over heating, it's being used in the wrong application, but I've never seen or heard of that happening in these ball polishers, since 1995 when I first designed it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Best
Replace the carpeting and the rattle will go away.

Jeff G. Martin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to buy the dual polisher a little over a year ago. After freight it was just going to be more money than I wanted to spend, so I thought like any other guy would and said "I can build one for WAY less than that!"

Here is my current list of parts. I'm sure I'll need some other miscellaneous by the time I'm done.

Grainger motor - 100
Timer - 40
(4) 6" 5/8"-bore pulley - 50
(2) 1.5" 5/8"-bore pulley - 15
5/8" shaft - 5
(4) Bearing blocks - 20
(2) Belts - 15
(2) 3D-printed ball spindles - 20
Misc nuts and bolts - 5
Automotive carpet - 5
Gorilla Glue - 10
Fabricated steel rings - 30
Velcro - 10

So far I'm well over $300 in parts (using scrap plywood, so no cost there) and haven't even really began to construct much of it. So, could someone build it for way less? A little less, but how much is your time worth? In hindsight: I wish I had just bought one.

One of these months I'll finish it.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpeg
    IMG_0357.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 113

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I wanted to buy the dual polisher a little over a year ago. After freight it was just going to be more money than I wanted to spend, so I thought like any other guy would and said "I can build one for WAY less than that!"

Here is my current list of parts. I'm sure I'll need some other miscellaneous by the time I'm done.

Grainger motor - 100
Timer - 40
5/8" shaft - 5
(4) Bearing blocks - 20
(2) Belts - 15
Misc nuts and bolts - 5
Automotive carpet - 5
Gorilla Glue - 10
Velcro - 10

So far I'm well over $300 in parts (using scrap plywood, so no cost there) and haven't even really began to construct much of it. So, could someone build it for way less? A little less, but how much is your time worth? In hindsight: I wish I had just bought one.

When I built 200 of them over the period of a year, my hard cost was $375 a unit, I already had all the tools needed in my wood shop, but the labor per unit was over 10hrs each, so I quit building them in 1996, but did sell 200 units between Vancouver, Canada to San Diego, CA
And the sale price back then was $600 a unit🙄

northshoremb

Registered

Grainger motor - 100
Timer - 40
5/8" shaft - 5
(4) Bearing blocks - 20
(2) Belts - 15
Misc nuts and bolts - 5
Automotive carpet - 5
Gorilla Glue - 10
Velcro - 10

Also I found everything you said new for around the same $300 but canadian so thats $250US. Like I said to me time isn't a worry when you are building for yourself to be able to say "I built this". If building on mass production then yes time is valued. So $250-300 canadian to build vs $900 canadian to buy is a huge saving

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Also I found everything you said new for around the same $300 but canadian so thats $250US. Like I said to me time isn't a worry when you are building for yourself to be able to say "I built this". If building on mass production then yes time is valued. So $250-300 canadian to build vs $900 canadian to buy is a huge saving

Check your exchange rate again, parts are about $300+ American! Thats about $382 canadian.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

You're still guessing at the cost, get back to me once you've actually built a working model, with pictures😉

northshoremb

Registered
Check your exchange rate again, parts are about $300+ American! Thats about $382 canadian.
I just told you I found for less then what you found. Just have to search internet for prices. The Dayton 6K778 can be had for $116 can which is $94US

northshoremb

Registered
Shipping and taxes included?
Just need to look around and find places with free shipping or from places that have no tax or low 3% Anyways don't understand how me making for $300canadian is so unattainable compared to $900 canadian. Hell even if I could make for $500 that's $400 I save for cloth.
I never once bashed the product and just stating you arnt the only person able to build a ball cleaner. Seems like this whole thread turned into you laughing at me as if I'm not mechanically inclined and that it will cost me just as much to make

Jeff G. Martin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's probably pretty accurate. A lot of my hardware was purchased locally so I probably paid 10-20% more for a lot of my items.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just need to look around and find places with free shipping or from places that have no tax or low 3% Anyways don't understand how me making for $300canadian is so unattainable compared to $900 canadian. Hell even if I could make for $500 that's $400 I save for cloth.
I never once bashed the product and just stating you arnt the only person able to build a ball cleaner. Seems like this whole thread turned into you laughing at me as if I'm not mechanically inclined and that it will cost me just as much to make

No, on the contrary, I find it funny. You're pretty much like everyone else, when it comes to you selling something, you expect top dollar, but when it comes to you buying something, to hell with someone else's value, you want it as cheap as you can possibly get it, even if it means you have to build it yourself. But at least you recognize quality, which is why you want to reproduce my designed ball polisher, instead if another design, or build a 5gal bucket polisher. But, I bet you don't build your own car, or play dentist on your own teeth just to cut costs, to what YOU think you should have to pay!

I don't give a shit if you copy my polisher and build your own, but I do question your reasoning for bragging on AZB about how you, as a Canadian can beat down the price of an American built product, therefore eliminating them from making a sale, does it make you a better man doing so?

Or are you trying to show how smart you are because you swear by how much cheaper you can build it, yet lack the intelligence of your own creativity, thereby needing to copy a product designed by someone smarter than yourself, because you couldn't have come up with this design on your own?..