Mosconi Cup 2021 Day 3 Updates

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't even enjoy the matches anymore. The commentators are excellent, but it would be nice to have an American in the booth. It's a wee bit Europe-centric in the commentary. Everything is Europe this, Europe that, Europe and its dominance. They keep talking about European players and nobody says jack-shit about American players.

The laughing hyenas in the audience also are ruining my viewer experience. It's as if they're on a Roman coliseum watching European gladiators kill the American and enjoying the bloodshed.

I'm proud of Team USA trying to give it their all. It doesn't bother me to lose any match because I know they are trying, but the entire environment there is awful.

Not sure I'm looking forward to Mosconi Cup 2022.

View attachment 619217
I agree. The one-sided commentary is nauseating. I thought commentators were supposed to be unbiased.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The crowd looks like they are having a blast. I think it's great and wish I was there. I can miss easy shots as well as anyone on the US team.

Perhaps Stu can report on the type of beer being sold.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because he doesn’t belong in it anymore then the half ass captain does. Lol dude is a great commentator. Stick to that.
Hmmm...JJ is pretty much universally liked and respected. That does not necessarily make him a good coach/captain. Every great coach says after a tough loss that it is the coach's responsibility to get the team ready to play...we never looked ready to play today.

JJ seems like a cool guy. Seems like he has put his blood, sweat, and tears into this team both this year and last. The results certainly have not been there, though. Especially when you come in to replace a Coach that:
A. broke the Euros win streak,
B. won 2 in a row, and
C. was starting to put together a whole system to give our guys a chance to be competitive.

If they do end up getting thrashed I'd say it's time for a rethink by Matchroom.
Kinda like they did when they told Johan to take a hike after we won 2 in a row? Wonder if they have him on speed dial?

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool would certainly benefit by having more tournaments like this where the crowd can be involved. Yes, they are over the top, but they are having a great time and will certainly want to come back and do it again. I've been a spectator at tournaments in the USA where I have been scared to open a can of soda. Not much fun.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Without Earl we shouldn't stand much of a chance, however, miracles do happen......that's what it will take!

It's disappointing all the way around, oh, well, such is life in our "new normal," "great reset," or whatever they call the new world order these days. lol - I call it the Twilight Zone, it's more accurate considering the outright attack on common sense and logic.

I'd still take 20/1 and bet the USA Team wins, something tells me this is far from over!

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Hmmm...JJ is pretty much universally liked and respected. That does not necessarily make him a good coach/captain. Every great coach says after a tough loss that it is the coach's responsibility to get the team ready to play...we never looked ready to play today.

JJ seems like a cool guy. Seems like he has put his blood, sweat, and tears into this team both this year and last. The results certainly have not been there, though. Especially when you come in to replace a Coach that:
A. broke the Euros win streak,
B. won 2 in a row, and
C. was starting to put together a whole system to give our guys a chance to be competitive.

Kinda like they did when they told Johan to take a hike after we won 2 in a row? Wonder if they have him on speed dial?

WE need to get to him first

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't even enjoy the matches anymore. The commentators are excellent, but it would be nice to have an American in the booth. It's a wee bit Europe-centric in the commentary. Everything is Europe this, Europe that, Europe and its dominance. They keep talking about European players and nobody says jack-shit about American players.

The laughing hyenas in the audience also are ruining my viewer experience. It's as if they're on a Roman coliseum watching European gladiators kill the American and enjoying the bloodshed.

I'm proud of Team USA trying to give it their all. It doesn't bother me to lose any match because I know they are trying, but the entire environment there is awful.

Not sure I'm looking forward to Mosconi Cup 2022.

View attachment 619217

i don't like yates, he is so negative. but other than him, i disagree on them being partisan. they may talk more about the euro players today - because the euros are at the table all the time. they're making the shots and winning the matches.. so it's not out of place to mention them. i agree however on getting an american commentator in, like nick schulman who did a great job at the US open.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ shocks the world here and the US goes on to win the last match to close the day down 8-7...make it happen JJ!

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't like yates, he is so negative. but other than him, i disagree on them being partisan. they may talk more about the euro players today - because the euros are at the table all the time. they're making the shots and winning the matches.. so it's not out of place to mention them. i agree however on getting an american commentator in, like nick schulman who did a great job at the US open.

Yates is horrible as a commentator, and Fisher is probably worse.

Neils, on the other hand, has been great. He's genuinely excited by the game, has incredible knowledge and isn't afraid to call out good and bad play by any player. He's not a polished "broadcaster" like Yates, but he's the best they've had on.

Also agree on getting an American in there. Maybe now JJ has a relationship with Matchroom he can transition into commentary when US brings back Johan as captain.

Reactions: JAM

wblake

Registered
Why is this ref allowed to just let the crowd do whatever they want while the US players are shooting? At least Leyman makes an attempt to settle them down. This guy just kind of smirks behind the US player while the crowd does what they will.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Why is this ref allowed to just let the crowd do whatever they want while the US players are shooting? At least Leyman makes an attempt to settle them down. This guy just kind of smirks behind the US player while the crowd does what they will.
I also noticed that Leyman didn't say crap when the fans continued to make noise while the Euros were shooting

Fans shooting out their pub songs he whole time David is running out the rack.

Last edited:

something_pool

Registered
The camera work at Matchroom events IMO is really subpar. For example, JJ just made a 1-9 combination with the cueball tracking right to the corner pocket after contact. Instead of showing the whole table to see if he scratched, the camera pans to the crowd. This seems to happen all the time where the camera doesn't show the right view.