how are ya'll doing in league ?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
What a contrast

Last bca team I helped, last night
Top dog shooters and team in the room

Last apa team I helped
Guy slaps chalk hand dust all over his glove, cue, other hand and anything in the way got a layer as well, table and balls

Yes on his damn glove he slapped on chalk.
Couldn't do more than a night with that crew, guy was more add than I'd seen in a while. Can't focus and compete with all that going on my own team.

Rusty in Montana

Since both the seniors and city ok town pool league is taking a Christmas break a few of us got together at a local tavern to have a fun afternoon of pool . In the middle of the game after hitting the cue ball I noticed I cracked and broke the joint ring on my old Meucci cue I'm thinking it deserves a trip to either proficient billiards or back to Meucci it's my extra shaft and I doubt Meucci still makes or has a matching collar since I've had this cue since the late 1980's ha ha

Rusty in Montana

Jeff Livingston, I was wondering if you have heard of a old friend of mine who lives and plays pool there in Iowa his name is Lance Saunders if you do send me a pm I'd like to catch up with him again it's nothing bad ha ha .

Our pool league's are on Christmas break and we have a blind draw partners pool tournament before it starts again in January.

I bring my big yeti knock off cup and drink a lot of water during our matches the joy of living in a area with a giant spring for drinking water .

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Jeff Livingston, I was wondering if you have heard of a old friend of mine who lives and plays pool there in Iowa his name is Lance Saunders if you do send me a pm I'd like to catch up with him again it's nothing bad ha ha .

Our pool league's are on Christmas break and we have a blind draw partners pool tournament before it starts again in January.

I bring my big yeti knock off cup and drink a lot of water during our matches the joy of living in a area with a giant spring for drinking water .

Don't know Lance...sorry.

Or at least I don't recognize his name. I know a lot faces.

Jeff Livingston

Rusty in Montana

No worries here Jeff back when he lived up here his brother would make a off the rack Dufferin cue lengthen it 6" and make it a 2 piece cue which Lance was very talented with .
Sadly Billy passed away ( the older brother / cue maker ) and I heard that Lance was in Iowa and still playing pool .
I enjoy playing with my Billy Buska cue it would get cussed by 98% of the people on here ha ha
Thanks for your time and have a Merry Christmas !

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Rusty, you may have known the elderly gentleman I recently posted about, who won us the team season title this week in a playoff.

He used to play in Montana maybe 20 years ago or less, when he worked for oil or uranium companies, I think. Garry Bauer.

Jeff Livingston

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finished this session the opposite of last session.
Last session i won 8 ball mvp and came in last in 9 ball. This session i came in towards the bottom of the pack in 8 ball and won 9 ball mvp.

Pretty commom occurance for me to play great in one format and then lousy in it the next session. Goes for both 8 and 9 ball.

We didnt qualify for playoffs in 9 ball this session ...no surprise . 8 ball came down to the last rack in the last match and my 4 lost hill - hill to a 5.

Now that i think about it i dont know why we had to play in 8 ball playoffs. We came in first last session which qualifies us for tri cups so there would have been no reason for us to be in playoffs.

there is no team cohesion...just 6 players that show up ..play and leave..even when i ask them to stay and help out. I would get rid of 4 of them if i could find replacements . there have been times i thought about quitting but i just cant let a few thoughtless... self centered people drive me away from something i enjoy. Well not much enjoyment the last couple sessions.

Better stop here before i go on a real long rant lol.

Rusty in Montana

Jeff I've heard the name before but that's about it , Lance maybe a road player now days again his brother Billy wanted me to travel with him but my at the time wife put a end to that in a hurry had I known then what I know now I'd of done it ha ha

Lorider , I know how you feel I'm rather passionate about playing pool and have teammates who are passionate about beer ha ha there's nothing wrong with that but I'd rather play well and win the match than put a bunch of money in the bar owners pocket or more than I do anyway if that makes sense ?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't eat and play, takes the focus away and I'm not getting that greasy crap on my cues. Me and a buddy go for lunch about once a week and just bang balls, even then when the food arrives we sit down and eat once the food arrives.

I wish more people felt like that. It would help keep greasy finger marks of the damn tables!

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I can't eat and play, takes the focus away and I'm not getting that greasy crap on my cues. Me and a buddy go for lunch about once a week and just bang balls, even then when the food arrives we sit down and eat once the food arrives.
Same here. Friday nights we meet for dinner. Play till the food comes then take a break to eat clean up and back to pool. Almost never eat during league nights unless hunger becomes distracting, then only when it's not my turn.

As a side note I generally go wash my hands throughout the night, just makes the stroke nicer and cue cleaner.

I’m shocked how many grown adults still don’t wash up after using the toilet though. Ew

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Now that i think about it i dont know why we had to play in 8 ball playoffs. We came in first last session which qualifies us for tri cups so there would have been no reason for us to be in playoffs.
Around here, when a team that has already qualified for Tri-Cups makes the next sessions playoffs, they don't show up and forfeit their playoff match so another team not qualified has a chance to go to Tri-Cups.

Maniac (been on both sides of that scenario)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The way it works here is that we have a divisional playoff, and we get payouts from that. So teams that are already qualified for States have an incentive in the sessions following the one where they qualified. Those teams won't go to the Tri-Cup, of course, as they're already qualified. But the divisional playoff winners get some $$$ and trophies, patches, etc. So everyone plays in playoffs, regardless of being qualified.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New session started last night after a bye week.

I faced a 7 in 8 ball. 5-3 race with him going to 5. He gets up 4-0 on me and i tell myself its time for me to start playing smart since my shotmaking is a lil off. I start playing a bunch of safes and win the next 2 to make it hill- hill. Then ....i rattle the pocket on the 8 and he runs out. Sigh.

Later i face their other 7 in 9 ball. 55-46 race with him going to 55. He wins the lag and promptly puts up a break and run. Next rack he makes a ball on rhe break and plays safe on the one ball.. I make a 2 rail kick shot and make contact with the one but leave him good....he runs the table.

After 2 racks he is up 20 -0. I finally get a few chances at the table but lose 55-25. I have known this 7 for a few years ...played him often but have never seen him shoot as great as he did last night. Well eveey dog has his day as the saying goes.

Rough start to the new aession for me.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
few weeks starts a new bca at the toughest room in htown, its also all diamonds. since everything before vegas goes through this room anyways i figured i should get better on diamonds and face these guys to get my game as good as it can be.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Second bye week in a row. Last week on league day me and my friend/sparring partner played 10 hours of 9B pool in races to 20. Yesterday we played races of 20 for around 10 hours give or take. We played 104 games total, which ended up being 3 races to 20.

This race to 20 thing is brutal but amazing. You have time to figure out what you're doing wrong, get in dead stroke, fall out of stroke, re-capture it, fight exhaustion, apply all sorts of techniques to get your head back in the game, etc. It's downright brutal, but I feel in the last 4 times we've played races to 20 (even a single one) I've learned more about my game than in 3-4 months of regular play of races to 5.

Our thought are to just beat our brains out with races to 20 until the next tournament put on by our sanctioning organization. If you're used to the endurance required for such long races, a few days of tournaments will surely be less exhausting. I know of no other way to build endurance than to play for hours. Longer races also allow us to focus on why/what is happening for us to get out of stroke and how to get back into stroke. It's easier to get your head/body in the game if you practice getting it back regularly. If you have to get back in the game 3-4 times in one race it makes great practice for quickly getting your shit together. You can't ever give up on a race to 20, even if you're down 10 you can get back, and so can the other guy. It's utterly brutal but I'm looking forward to league next week and see if we see any improvement.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I lost my game completely the past 2 months or so. Gone. And I was playing very well.

It's like I forgot how to play. Weird. I've been trying everything to fix it and nothing was working.

Then yesterday, somehow I noticed I had my grip hand about 2" forward of its usual position. That has happened to me before, as it creeps up on me over time, weeks, months. Very sneaky, this creepy grip.

So, I moved it back and BAM, potting balls again and getting marvelous spin and shape again. Der. Just like that, fixed.

Happy New Year to me!

Jeff Livingston

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to try not to makw this too long nuy i habe a lot to say .

New years eve praxtically all my team mates had a party at the co captains house. I didmt go because i wasnt feeling well. So sunday night league arrives and i do not go because i still do not feel well.. Couldnt put my finger on what exactly was wrong with me but mainly i just didnt have much energy.

Then tuesday morning i had a heart attack. Light flaashes on as to why i haven't felt right the last few days. I am recovering fine so far fellas.

Now to what this post is really about. This eveming my co captain tezts me aking how i am doing. Fine i tell her and will ne at league sunday.

Then she proceeds to tell me she was diagnosed with covid wendsday. She determined she got it from one or all 3 team mates that was at her house new years eve and had been at league sunday night and have since been diagnosed with covid.

Now here is what has me riled up about the whole situation. One team mate had been off work all last week due to being sick and knew her sister that she libed with had covid. She knew she was at risk and still went to the party and never told anyone.

My co captim said she is not sure which of the 3 she caught it from.

I am so tempted to kick all 3 off the team this sunday...and then at the same time i am leery of even showing up myself.

Well i just now made up my mind as i am typimg this to text all of them and say do not ahow up until you ahow me proof of a clean bill of health.
I can't believe how dumb and inconsiderable some people are.

What would yall do ?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
What would yall do ?
I damn sure wouldn't go to league and be around a bunch of idiots who have been exposed to Covid. Especially since now that you have an underlying condition.

I mean......how important is the rest of your life to you?

Get well soon. See a good cardiologist!

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I damn sure wouldn't go to league and be around a bunch of idiots who have been exposed to Covid. Especially since now that you have an underlying condition.

I mean......how important is the rest of your life to you?

Get well soon. See a good cardiologist!

Maniac

I had a talk with two team mates rhat were at the party mentioned previously since my previous post
My co captain is in self quarantine now .

The other one fits the idiot moniker to a tee. She said she was not infected and sent me a pic of her test results from dec 27th which was negative. . i replied to her that that test was useless since she had been at a party on Dec 31st with several people who have been diagnosed with covid this week.

She refuses to accept the possibility that she may have been infected and claims she feels fine. I suggested she at least wear a mask until she gets retested. She said ahe refuses to wear a mask since there is no curremt mandate in our area to do so.

I told hee rhst i was recovering from a heart attack...which she was aware of... and the last thing i needed was to catch covid from irresponsible people who refused to wear a mask after being exposed to people who have been diagnosed with covid. She replied i should stay home if i didnt want to be around her because she was not going to wear a mask.

I told her that that was exactly what i was going to do and to not be surprised if i kicked her off the team when i did come back to league. I am the captain btw.

As for me i am doing fine so far.. They went through my arm and removed 2 clots in my chest and put in one stent. I have beem back home for 2 days now. My doctor set an appointment in 2 weeks to come back for a check up..also off work for 2 weeks.