2022 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2022 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

It’s a new year, and everyone is on a clean slate. Let's see who can back up their written posts with game play for bragging rights :);)o_O:LOL: If you have a video of your run, link it, and I will add it to this post. Neither video or skill are required to participate, only a will to participate is:)

1st post will be kept up to date with latest scores. See 2nd post for “suggested” rules.

Prior Year Threads:
2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015

6-Ball Ghost Ranking (BIH after break, luck counts)

SCOREMEMBEROTHEROTHEROTHER
7-4 Videokling&allen

9-Ball Ghost Ranking (BIH after break, luck counts)
8-0 VideoShuddy
8-0Poolmanis7-1
7-0 VideoRunEmOut08
7-1 VideoSide Pocket
7-2 Videomristea
7-2 Videodjkx17-4 Video
7-2 Videoeasy-e9-3 Video
7-2 Video9BallKY
7-3 Videopeppersauce11-76-7 Video
7-5 Videopw987-57-57-5

9-Ball Pro Ghost Ranking (No BIH after break, luck counts)
7-3 VideoShuddy
7-5 VideoJusticeNJ7-5

10-Ball Ghost Ranking (BIH after break, luck counts)
7-3 Videodjkx1
5-2 Videopeppersauce

10-Ball Pro Ghost Ranking (No BIH after break, luck counts)
5-7 VideoShuddy

Random Ghost (8-ball, rotation, snooker, etc..)
8 Ball Pro, 7-1 Videokanzzo
8 Ball Pro, 6 consecutive racksPoolmanis

Straight Pool
Straight pool has its own 17 year running challenge. Go to this thread to join!
Link

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Suggested Rules

“SUGGESTED” GHOST CHALLENGE RULES.
Feel free to modify as you see fit.

All games:
-Race to 7
-Break, take ball in hand and try to run out
-Runout is a win for you
-Miss or foul is a win for the ghost
-Cue ball fouls only
-Break scratch - no penalty, take ball in hand and continue *Some prior years this was all balls spot on a break scratch. Relaxed this year as most people don't do that anyway.
-No restrictions on racking or breaking (magic rack, pattern racking, soft break, are ok)
-Money ball on the break spots up if it goes in the two foot pockets. If it goes in any other pocket, its a win.
-Jump cues ok.

6/9/10-ball specific rules:
-Flukes count
-Early money ball (combo/carom) is a win for you (including BIH shot)
*This year we made the 10 ball rules the same as the 9 ball rules, we removed the WPA of call shot and 10 ball last requirement, as most people on the local/practice level seem to play 10 ball by 9 ball rules.

8-ball specific rules:
-BIH anywhere on table after the break, and can shoot inside or outside of the kitchen.
-8 on the break spots up (not a win)

Pro version for 6/8/9/10
-No BIH after break
-Break scratch is a loss of game

Video uploads are not required to participate, but encouraged if you have the means to do so.

Please post your score (you-ghost), and a link to your video (optional). Happy shooting!

Scores are listed in the main post with the information below:
W-L - Member Name - Prior lower scores.

Races to 7 (or higher) will be ordered by W-L first, and date of play 2nd. Races lower than 7 will be ranked lower in the list.

In an effort to make record keeping easier, I will not be recording table size, table type, pocket size, etc, like we did in some years past. Feel free to add that to your own post if you like.

Last edited:

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I'll take this opportunity to happily claim the top spot on the 2022 AZB leaderboard with my very mediocre play (until people who have played pool before start uploading videos later this week.)

6-ball ghost: 7-4 (7' foot table, 4 1/2 corner pockets) Video Link

The last rack (18:36) is the only part that looks like I've held a cue before.
Don’t be so hard on yourself, man! Thanks for posting your play 😊

pw98

Registered
On Jan 3 I beat the 9-ball ghost 4 times. I think 7-5 each time. Here is a video of one of the wins:

The table is 8.5' Gandy 4.25" corner pockets and 4.75" side pockets. The pocket shelf is not deep. I used a wooden rack. And the cloth is really old. Getting a good rack on old cloth with the triangle is really hard on the back as you can see from the video with how long racking sometimes takes.... 😢

This will probably be my last video from this table as I have a new 8.5' table which is arriving soon that will have deep shelf pockets of the same size with proper angles and rails that are consistent.

pw98

Registered
I'll take this opportunity to happily claim the top spot on the 2022 AZB leaderboard with my very mediocre play (until people who have played pool before start uploading videos later this week.)

6-ball ghost: 7-4 (7' foot table, 4 1/2 corner pockets) Video Link

The last rack (18:36) is the only part that looks like I've held a cue before.
Wow that table is fast or is it your break is huge or both? The corner ball takes off like there is a bomb under it when you break.

kling&allen

Registered
Wow that table is fast or is it your break is huge or both? The corner ball takes off like there is a bomb under it when you break.

Good question. It's 860 and plays like the other 860 tables I've used. My break is around 19 mph so it's not that either. I think it's the 6 ball rack using a template and the angle I hit the 1 at--that corner ball is taking the brunt of the break as it's a straight line to the 1 and cue ball.

But it's a good sign that maybe I should brake from another spot as that racing corner ball doesn't do me any good. I brake from that angle to cut the 1 into the side.

pw98

Registered
Good question. It's 860 and plays like the other 860 tables I've used. My break is around 19 mph so it's not that either. I think it's the 6 ball rack using a template and the angle I hit the 1 at--that corner ball is taking the brunt of the break as it's a straight line to the 1 and cue ball.

But it's a good sign that maybe I should brake from another spot as that racing corner ball doesn't do me any good. I brake from that angle to cut the 1 into the side.
Ok, that must be it then. I don't like breaking from the side in 6-ball because the balls seem to cluster up more. Try breaking like an inch from the center and cross over hitting the other side of the one ball. I think you will get better layouts that way.

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Here is my 7-2 win against the Ghost which I recorded earlier this week. My table is a 9ft Dynamic 3 competition table (Eurotours are played on this model), with very old (about 5 years old) Simonis 860 cloth, which makes it even tougher, as balls surely rattle if not hit correctly.

Shuddy

Silver Member
I was hoping you wouldn't see this thread for a while! Let's see a video of you beating the pro 10 ball ghost!

After I recorded the video, uploaded, then hit reply, I realised you asked for a video of me “beating” the pro ghost.

Well, regardless, this is my first ghost match of any kind of 2022. I tried to do it in character as “Diamond Dave”, but as you see at 9 minutes, I lost track of the 10 ball and started cracking up, then I totally missed a 9 ball, then I scratched on a break, then I lost count of the score 😂

Pro ghost beat me 5-7. What an a-hole!!! Diamond Dave will be back you dastardly ghost, you!!!

EDIT: Forgot to post the video. I blame the booster shot I had this morning for all shenanigans that have occurred!

Shuddy

Silver Member
Btw, as with rack 4 of my above video (though I didn’t realize till I got to the 7 or something), what are AZB ghost suggestions for 10 on the break?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played couple sets 8-ball ghost. I try to get more challenge and focus so i play untl i miss or make foul from break. I don´t take ball in hand after break because it is 8-ball. You have shot after break 99% of time.
So far best is 6 racks.
I set my 2022 goal in this kind 8-ball ghost to 17 racks before year ends :D
1/10 2022 6 racks

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played couple sets 8-ball ghost. I try to get more challenge and focus so i play untl i miss or make foul from break. I don´t take ball in hand after break because it is 8-ball. You have shot after break 99% of time.
So far best is 6 racks.
I set my 2022 goal in this kind 8-ball ghost to 17 racks before year ends :D
1/10 2022 6 racks
I haven’t done a lot of 8-ball ghost, but I play it the same way—no BIH and foul on the break is a loss. I did post a set a couple of years ago where I was down 1-6 to the 8-ball ghost and broke and ran 6 to win hill-hill at the pool room. My best playing the 8-ball ghost at home is a 5 pack.

You play a lot better than me, so I expect you’ll get close. But 17 is a lot! Post updates! 😃

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11-7 win against the 9-ball ghost.

The set was almost an hour and I recorded in 4K. It ate up so much storage on my phone I couldn’t edit the video and save it. Unedited video was just over 20gb and the editing software with the edited video was another 16gb. Had to scrap the whole thing. I think I’ll go back to regular resolution from now on.

Set was back and forth. Beat the ghost to 7, but he came back and tied it at 7-7. I caught a little gear and ran the last 4 to close it out.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, just tested positive for Covid. Looks like I’ll be quarantined to the pool table most of this week. Good chance to get in some ghost sets! 🤪

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s a short set against the 10-ball ghost from January 2nd. This was just a short race to 5, but I won 5-2. I didn’t record the set for this thread, thus the short race to 5. But figured I’d post it anyway.

10-Ball ghost, race to 5 (1/2/22)

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball ghost. 7-3……win??

I kinda cheated. During the last rack I nudged the CB while I was settling into the shot and decided to just shoot anyway. Count it if you want to, or don’t. I’d been playing straight pool for hours before this set so I was kinda just done. I think I ran 5 in a row this set at one point though, so that was good. Above my average speed.

I’ll see if I can eek out a win on the 10-ball ghost tomorrow in a race to 7.

9-Ball Ghost-Race to 7

Last edited: