The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ask Howard Cosell...

And that was many years ago, not related to current "woke-ness", however you feel about that phenomenon
Funny thing about being a racist, you don't make the President the Worldwide Sports and Games non-profit organization BLACK if you're a racist do you? No one even brought up racist until Bobby mentioned it, and that was nothing but a dirty trick to get me banned for being Racist, because the "word" draws attention!! Open your eyes or are you blind? I've been on AZB and FB for 16 years and have never been accused of being a racist, why not??

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ask Howard Cosell...

And that was many years ago, not related to current "woke-ness", however you feel about that phenomenon
Let me ask you something. I'm going to ask you 2 questions, you tell me which one is racist, ok?

1) Do you have any black friends?

2) Do you have any of them other people for friends?

Which question is racist? Your answer tells me a lot of how you think!!!

It's a simple 1 or 2, not a beat around the bush explanation about your views to the questions.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Just to clarify something I noticed, the initial Accuse Racism card that started that whole tangent was not laid down by worldpro. It’s quoted in post 1,136 on pg 57. Carry on.

Cool shot RKC. I’m going to the pool hall today so I’ll be trying that out. Thanks for the diagram Chili P.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Let me ask you something. I'm going to ask you 2 questions, you tell me which one is racist, ok?

1) Do you have any black friends?

2) Do you have any of them other people for friends?

Which question is racist? Your answer tells me a lot of how you think!!!

It's a simple 1 or 2, not a beat around the bush explanation about your views to the questions.
How about this? Don't jump all over me for pointing out the real world ramifications of a prominent figure using that word.

How about you understand that I was merely pointing out that it happened, and that maybe, just maybe, people might understand why that word might be be misconstrued in its usage. And that this happened many, many years before the current "woke" phenomenon, and the pushback against it. Not validating the hue and cry, nor the pushback about it.

I made no commentary on its usage, if you'll recall my post. If you would slow down and stop firing away at anyone and everyone on the forum, you might get that. I was pointing out something, and clearly noted "however you feel about" the issue.

Don't lecture me about racism. Don't lecture me about 1 or 2 in your pathetic little reply. This is pretty simple. I have lots of friends. I don't categorize them. And I don't need to justify who I have for friends, certainly not to you.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
How about this? Don't jump all over me for pointing out the real world ramifications of a prominent figure using that word.

How about you understand that I was merely pointing out that it happened, and that maybe, just maybe, people might understand why that word might be be misconstrued in its usage. And that this happened many, many years before the current "woke" phenomenon, and the pushback against it. Not validating the hue and cry, nor the pushback about it.

I made no commentary on its usage, if you'll recall my post. If you would slow down and stop firing away at anyone and everyone on the forum, you might get that. I was pointing out something, and clearly noted "however you feel about" the issue.

Don't lecture me about racism. Don't lecture me about 1 or 2 in your pathetic little reply. This is pretty simple. I have lots of friends. I don't categorize them. And I don't need to justify who I have for friends, certainly not to you.
How about this, using Howard Cosell as a reference today, for something he said that was taken out of context to try and turn that into an example to day, of racism from years ago, which wasn't said at THAT time as a racist comment, how about finding a better example, there's plenty of them that WERE racist in their meaning and in the context in which they were said! I watched Howard Cosell from the early 60's and on, you're not old enough to have watched him, so pick a better example right suit your needs, if you feel you NEED to!! I was still watching black and white TV back then, when we FINALLY got one.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
How about this, using Howard Cosell as a reference today, for something he said that was taken out of context to try and turn that into an example to day, of racism from years ago, which wasn't said at THAT time as a racist comment, how about finding a better example, there's plenty of them that WERE racist in their meaning and in the context in which they were said! I watched Howard Cosell from the early 60's and on, you're not old enough to have watched him, so pick a better example right suit your needs, if you feel you NEED to!! I was still watching black and white TV back then, when we FINALLY got one.
Couple more replies, then I'll go back to watching the back and forth on here...replying is really fruitless, but what the hell...

The point I made was how using that word can and did become an issue. Not whether it was justified. Not insinuating Cosell was racist. Or you. Merely pointing out that many years ago, using that work led to issues, for better or for worse. An observation, and trying to bring light to others how using that word "can" be misconstrued.

And yes, I clearly remember watching Cosell. Often. I dunno where you get your info regarding my age, but I'm not as young as you seem to think. Not that it matters any. While I'm not your age (hope your recent birthday was good), I too watched black and white TV in my home at one time, it was easily a big deal in our home when we got our first color set.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Couple more replies, then I'll go back to watching the back and forth on here...replying is really fruitless, but what the hell...

The point I made was how using that word can and did become an issue. Not whether it was justified. Not insinuating Cosell was racist. Or you. Merely pointing out that many years ago, using that work led to issues, for better or for worse. An observation, and trying to bring light to others how using that word "can" be misconstrued.

And yes, I clearly remember watching Cosell. Often. I dunno where you get your info regarding my age, but I'm not as young as you seem to think. Not that it matters any. While I'm not your age (hope your recent birthday was good), I too watched black and white TV in my home at one time, it was easily a big deal in our home when we got our first color set.
Last I'm saying on this topic. The word monkey is not racist when calling a monkey, a monkey, it IS one. It's not a racist act when a Jack-n-the-box toy box plays music turning the handle and after so many turns a MONKEY pops up through the lid. It's not a racist act when a street vendor has a monkey on a leash, is playing music, and the MONKEY dances and does tricks for pocket change. It's not racist when I tell my kids to stop monkeying around and get in the car because we need to leave. It's not even racist to emply that pool players are acting like trained monkeys performing entertainment for the viewers, its not even racist to imply they're doing it for bananas, because for the most part, that's how I see pool players treated.

Flip side if the coin, and word can be made a racist comment, it all depends on the context in which that word is used, and where.

Coon, is short for raccoon, but its usage can be considered racist, depending on how its used, so can monkey, "others" colored, and many, many other words, but again, you have to understand the context in which its used. Even the word "racist" can be abused, in order to turn something into something that its NOT, being racist.

Racist shouldn't have even been mentioned, but I understand the reason it was, and that was an abuse of the word in order to try and invoc an outcome that didn't happen, ok, so there you have it, now drop it!😉

As far as I'm concerned, Bobby owes me an apology for even playing the racist card!

phreaticus

Last I'm saying on this topic. The word monkey is not racist when calling a monkey, a monkey, it IS one. It's not a racist act when a Jack-n-the-box toy box plays music turning the handle and after so many turns a MONKEY pops up through the lid. It's not a racist act when a street vendor has a monkey on a leash, is playing music, and the MONKEY dances and does tricks for pocket change. It's not racist when I tell my kids to stop monkeying around and get in the car because we need to leave. It's not even racist to emply that pool players are acting like trained monkeys performing entertainment for the viewers, its not even racist to imply they're doing it for bananas, because for the most part, that's how I see pool players treated.

Flip side if the coin, and word can be made a racist comment, it all depends on the context in which that word is used, and where.

Coon, is short for raccoon, but its usage can be considered racist, depending on how its used, so can monkey, "others" colored, and many, many other words, but again, you have to understand the context in which its used. Even the word "racist" can be abused, in order to turn something into something that its NOT, being racist.

Racist shouldn't have even been mentioned, but I understand the reason it was, and that was an abuse of the word in order to try and invoc an outcome that didn't happen, ok, so there you have it, now drop it!😉

As far as I'm concerned, Bobby owes me an apology for even playing the racist card!
Sans a few for minor spelling nits, thats a pretty rational & well articulated response - progress! Seems like a great suggestion to just leave it, does anyone think divisive social racial perspectives are going to be resolved or moved forward in any meaningful way in a thread on AZB?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That might be your most well thought out post of all time.