Gold Crown IV Pro 8 Rebuild

coolidge

Klean Strip Premium confirmed, let set for 8 minutes and it obliterates the contact cement. Scrape off, then wipe off excess, then wipe down with Acetone, then a final wipe down with a wet sponge and water. 5x faster and 1/10th the physical effort.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I was wondering where you were posting your progress... This thread had evaded me up till this point.

Pool tables... Labours of love aren't they...?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, 45 minutes per edge with acetone. Did you start hallucinating about a 526 ball run after the first edge? That's dangerous stuff.

coolidge

Wow, 45 minutes per edge with acetone. Did you start hallucinating about a 526 ball run after the first edge? That's dangerous stuff.
Nope, had the patio door and big dining room window open with a fan on full blast ventilating. If I want to huff something it won't be acetone.

coolidge

Adjusting slate flat was about to get on my last nerve so I have gone full machinist tools on it, I got you now mother. 💪

Slate screws pulling down out of flat was the main issue. The dial indicator lets me monitor as I tighten the slate screw that it doesn't overshoot and remains neutral with the leveler.

When the MDF directly under the slate screw is not in contact with the frame (in the photo below the contact point is about 6 inches to the right) then the slate screw can pull the slate down too far even against the leveler throwing things off. I had been adjusting the seam to .0015 but found even that was enough to catch an edge from the low to high slate. This lets me take it right to zero.

rb05.jpg

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Adjusting slate flat was about to get on my last nerve so I have gone full machinist tools on it, I got you now mother. 💪

Slate screws pulling down out of flat was the main issue. The dial indicator lets me monitor as I tighten the slate screw that it doesn't overshoot and remains neutral with the leveler.

When the MDF directly under the slate screw is not in contact with the frame (in the photo below the contact point is about 6 inches to the right) then the slate screw can pull the slate down too far even against the leveler throwing things off. I had been adjusting the seam to .0015 but found even that was enough to catch an edge from the low to high slate. This lets me take it right to zero.

View attachment 624488
That device holding the indicator got a name; who made it? Just curious.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

View attachment 624488
Thats why I only use 4 slate screws to mount the slate to the frame😉

coolidge

That device holding the indicator got a name; who made it? Just curious.
That's a Oneway Multi Gauge, made in Canada. The dial indicator that's included is on the cheap side but fine for stuff like this. For precise setups of say power machine tools I attach my Mitutoyo electronic indicator instead. That large flap tip is nice though I'll unscrew it and put it on the Mitutoyo, same threads. This thing is surprisingly useful. I purchased it for one particular machine setup but then have used it multiple times since.

coolidge

I smell Bondo whew! Slates adjusted flat, locked in with super glue, seams filled with Bondo. I'll let the house air out and go play some pool at our local pool hall.

coolidge

Slates flat, screwed down and locked together with super glue. That's right I used all 14 screws because it tried to vex me, it was on after that! 😂

Table leveled, seams Bondo'd and 400 grit wet sanded so even a human fingertip can't detect the seam. Well I guess super leveled behold the Starrett No 199 level of truth.

rb06.jpg

It's ready for the new Simonis 860HR cloth.

rb07.jpg

Read about a @realkingcobra method of forcing a bowed slate down flat using a bottle jack and rachet strap. One slate was bowed .005 high. I was able to press down with one hand in the center of the slate and bring it to flat. Lacking a bottle jack...wait for it...I put a Marshall 50 watt JCM800 amp head on end in the center of the slate and got it flat. Take that Mmacgyver.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can’t remember what it’s called but are you now going to have someone drag a slab of granite across it before the cloth goes down?