how are ya'll doing in league ?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Tonight our team was in the Second Chance playoff that we have here in our area. I won my match, but let my opponent get to the hill, and get a point. When I should have beaten him 2-0, was shooting a makeable shot on the 8 and donkeyed it.

Of course, you know what happened. We shouldn't have had to play the 5th match, cuz we would have had it out of reach after 4, if I hadn't allowed that one point to my opponent. And of course we lost the last match, and the right to advance.

Sigh....

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished BCA masters playoffs.

i’m not sure about other places, but for us it’s a pure money league. I made enough to recoup my fees for the year.

Truth be told, it was a little better than I expected to do. I’m pitching a bit out of my league with this one.

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
💡💡 I'm slightly upset. My APA Masters team finished in 1st place last session (which ended around Christmas). Therefore, my team qualified for regionals and perhaps Vegas!! Masters league takes up an entire Saturday basically (from 10am- 7pm) So, I was going to sit this session out and do some other things. However, I was recently informed, by the league operator, that I would not qualify for Regionals/Vegas if I am not "active" this session, although I have qualified based upon my performance LAST SESSION!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️So basically I'm "forced" to play THIS SESSION, at least a few matches, in order to "REMAIN ACTIVE" SMH SMH SMH SMH SMH🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
💡💡 I'm slightly upset. My APA Masters team finished in 1st place last session (which ended around Christmas). Therefore, my team qualified for regionals and perhaps Vegas!! Masters league takes up an entire Saturday basically (from 10am- 7pm) So, I was going to sit this session out and do some other things. However, I was recently informed, by the league operator, that I would not qualify for Regionals/Vegas if I am not "active" this session, although I have qualified based upon my performance LAST SESSION!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️So basically I'm "forced" to play THIS SESSION, at least a few matches, in order to "REMAIN ACTIVE" SMH SMH SMH SMH SMH🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
its been that way for some time...its less an issue for you, being in Masters, but part of the argument (beyond the obvious desire to keep the income flowing) is that players could qualify for Vegas and stop playing, to try and keep the Skill Levels lower, with no chance of it raising before Vegas.

The income flow is what you're caught up in

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its been that way for some time...its less an issue for you, being in Masters, but part of the argument (beyond the obvious desire to keep the income flowing) is that players could qualify for Vegas and stop playing, to try and keep the Skill Levels lower, with no chance of it raising before Vegas.

The income flow is what you're caught up in
It's ALWAYS about the money huh!! 🤦‍♂️:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good old capitalism LOL

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why the hell does it take from 10 to 7 to play? When I played masters it started at 7PM on a Thursday and we were done by 9PM?

Should be 4 man teams (3 players per night plus a sub), round robin format, race to 7 in both 8B and 9B?

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the hell does it take from 10 to 7 to play? When I played masters it started at 7PM on a Thursday and we were done by 9PM?

Should be 4 man teams (3 players per night plus a sub), round robin format, race to 7 in both 8B and 9B?
Good question!! The BEST answer I can give you is that the format down here is that Master's is only played ONCE PERMONTH. So, everything that would usually be done every week gets condensed into one day. So, last Saturday I played 3 different teams.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good question!! The BEST answer I can give you is that the format down here is that Master's is only played ONCE PERMONTH. So, everything that would usually be done every week gets condensed into one day. So, last Saturday I played 3 different teams.

That makes sense and honestly, I never scheduled league on the weekends (tourneys excluded) but if I could play once a month I would've considered it.

You only need to be active and have played 4 matches, maybe just sub and play the 4 matches and be done?

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That makes sense and honestly, I never scheduled league on the weekends (tourneys excluded) but if I could play once a month I would've considered it.

You only need to be active and have played 4 matches, maybe just sub and play the 4 matches and be done?
That's my plan sir!! (y)(y)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, Lorider....I'm so sorry to hear about the heart issue, and glad you're doing ok.

Thanks dub. I started back to work today...light duty of course 😆

As for the drama on my team ? Since my last post i had another player confirm he was positive. Another is sick and getting tested.

So last saturday i text the lo and cancelled last sundays matches. I slept on issue with the other 3 refusing to take a test and also refusing to wear a mask and having had a few previous issues with these same 3 i kicksd them all off the team.
So i heard yesterday that those 3 went down sunday night and joined other teams.

People like them is why cases of covid is rising again..

dquarasr

Registered
Ugh! First loss in the spring session. Grrr. Played SL5-SL5 straight up in 9-ball. Gave too many misses resulting in easy shots. Lost 31-38. First loss in 9-ball. Played a lot of really good safeties but still lost.

Played SL6 vs my SL4 in 8-ball, A 3-5 race. I have recently switched to second-ball-in-the-rack break. First rack of the night I did my FIRST EVER BREAK AND RUN!

I had a very treacherous last ball to get on the 8. I knew if I made my last ball in the corner the CB would carom into the 8 and send it to the side pocket. I needed perfect speed to pocket my last ball and leave the 8 hanging. I shot it with perfect speed, pocket speed for my last ball and left the 8 2" from the side pocket with a perfect look at it with the CB. Having never done a break-and-run in league before (and only a few times at home practicing), before I shot the 8, I counted the balls to make sure I didn't miss one of mine. Being in that position was foreign to me. LOL

OK, so later in the match I'm on the hill. Gave away too many misses on easy shots that left my opponent 4-, 5-, 6-ball runs. Scratched on a very thin cut where I made the ball but should have seen the scratch coming. *DUH!* Oh, well, experience and learn.

I truly think after that first rack (first ever! Did I mention that?!? LOL) break-and-run, I put so much pressure on myself ("Well, if you did it once, you can run out from any inning, right?" No, @$$hole, please set your expectations back in line and FREAKING RELAX, WILL YA?!?) that I started missing easy shots. I was definitely tightening up.

Speed control, aside from my first 8-ball rack, was my biggest enemy tonight. From too hard on one shot to too soft on the next. I need to continue practicing various angles and their effect on CB speed (yes, I know the rules-of-thumb on angles and CB and OB speeds but in the heat of competition I almost always miscalculate - more matches against higher skill level players will help me become accustomed to higher pressure).

Anyways, overall I'm happy but I wish I could have a bunch of those shots over! The pool gods giveth, and the pool gods taketh away. Need to celebrate the good fortune and forget the bad racks. Thanks for reading . . . . .

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In our area my master league is once a month on a sunday, starting at 1:30pm. We usually end around 4:30-5:00. But we play two matches against the same team in that time frame. 4 man rosters, 3 play each match. Some teams want to play on 3 tables, so we get done quicker as long as each team has enough players to do so.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ugh! First loss in the spring session. Grrr. Played SL5-SL5 straight up in 9-ball. Gave too many misses resulting in easy shots. Lost 31-38. First loss in 9-ball. Played a lot of really good safeties but still lost.

Played SL6 vs my SL4 in 8-ball, A 3-5 race. I have recently switched to second-ball-in-the-rack break. First rack of the night I did my FIRST EVER BREAK AND RUN!

I had a very treacherous last ball to get on the 8. I knew if I made my last ball in the corner the CB would carom into the 8 and send it to the side pocket. I needed perfect speed to pocket my last ball and leave the 8 hanging. I shot it with perfect speed, pocket speed for my last ball and left the 8 2" from the side pocket with a perfect look at it with the CB. Having never done a break-and-run in league before (and only a few times at home practicing), before I shot the 8, I counted the balls to make sure I didn't miss one of mine. Being in that position was foreign to me. LOL

OK, so later in the match I'm on the hill. Gave away too many misses on easy shots that left my opponent 4-, 5-, 6-ball runs. Scratched on a very thin cut where I made the ball but should have seen the scratch coming. *DUH!* Oh, well, experience and learn.

I truly think after that first rack (first ever! Did I mention that?!? LOL) break-and-run, I put so much pressure on myself ("Well, if you did it once, you can run out from any inning, right?" No, @$$hole, please set your expectations back in line and FREAKING RELAX, WILL YA?!?) that I started missing easy shots. I was definitely tightening up.

Speed control, aside from my first 8-ball rack, was my biggest enemy tonight. From too hard on one shot to too soft on the next. I need to continue practicing various angles and their effect on CB speed (yes, I know the rules-of-thumb on angles and CB and OB speeds but in the heat of competition I almost always miscalculate - more matches against higher skill level players will help me become accustomed to higher pressure).

Anyways, overall I'm happy but I wish I could have a bunch of those shots over! The pool gods giveth, and the pool gods taketh away. Need to celebrate the good fortune and forget the bad racks. Thanks for reading . . . . .
Congrats on your first BnR. Once you start putting just as much concentration and thought into EVERY SINGLE BAll that you put on that ball to set up on the eight, I bet those easy misses you mentioned will start becoming less and less.

Took me a while to realize that almost all of my easy misses were from lack of concentration: taking the shot/position for granted, rushing the shot, raising up, not precise on cueball contact, etc.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
We got paid at the first night of league, Tuesday night, for the 2021 Fall season.

Each of us got about $300 for 1st place in 9'ball and 1st in 8 ball, a combo league. Woo Hoo.

Then we got our asses handed to us in both.

And it cost $15 a night so with about 10 nights each that makes the profit much less. Then the drinking is about $25 a night after bar rounds.

Should I quit my job yet and go on the road?

Jeff Livingston

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I started league a couple of weeks ago. First time I played league and really much pool in over a decade. Primarily to just get out of the house as everybody in my house gets out except me. Found a great team - everybody is normal and focused on the pool rather than a doobie outside or a pitcher of beer. I am 2-0 after two weeks but honestly do not feel that I am playing very well. Planning on switching cues this week as my position is off. I believe my play will regress once the newness wears off. Trying to not over do it as far as practice. If I am practicing and see myself getting sloppy I bear down and concentrate. If that does not work it is better for me to step back from the table rather than reinforce bad thoughts and bad mechanics. Any thoughts?