Eagle Eye Takes Aim at 14.1 High Runs

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Pockets used for years in 14.1 were this size. I watched Sigel's 150 and those pockets looked pretty roomy to me.
Wrong, they were 5" at the mouth but never the same in the throat. Stock Brunswick tables since the 40's up until the GC5 came out ALL came with 5" corner pockets and 5 1/2" side pockets. Corner pocket miter angles were 142/143 they varied, but the throat of the pocket was 3/4" smaller than the pocket opening. The pockets on this table are huge, not even close to stock!!!

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pockets used for years in 14.1 were this size. I watched Sigel's 150 and those pockets looked pretty roomy to me. Back when Mosconi, Crane,etc. were playing they used B'wicks with pockets like this and no one knocks their performances.
To be clear, I'm not knocking Jayson's performance. The stamina and determination he showed is amazing. He was presented with a challenge and he made a great run. He is a phenomenal player and congratulations to him on a great accomplishment.

I just differ on the pockets and view it with an asterisk for that reason. But Jayson is amazing and deserves all the accolades for a fantastic run. I hope his 714 spurs more interest and many other great champions try their hand at it.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah - these weren't small pockets either. Look at the side pockets.

Yeah, those side pockets look huge! The corners look standard.

Anyway, I'm pissing against the wind here and am giving that up because I don't want to come across as diminishing Jayson in any way. I don't think much of the organizers. But Jayson is amazing and his accomplishment deserves recognition. I hope his great 714 promotes interest in straight pool. Yay Jayson!!!

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 23:15/1:18:41 where the guy is using his phone to live stream the computer monitor that is recording Jason Shaw, he says that Shaw was driving away from the event and called up Bobby and said he was turning around and coming back for an overnight session to try and break the record. He checked his family into the Ritz Carlton, then started shooting again.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be clear, I'm not knocking Jayson's performance. The stamina and determination he showed is amazing. He was presented with a challenge and he made a great run. He is a phenomenal player and congratulations to him on a great accomplishment.

I just differ on the pockets and view it with an asterisk for that reason. But Jayson is amazing and deserves all the accolades for a fantastic run. I hope his 714 spurs more interest and many other great champions try their hand at it.
IMO, 714 is 714. I was hating on the table and pocket specs when this whole thing started but that run is impressive regardless of the table. 51 straight racks. Most people posting in this thread couldn't run 51 balls on that table. It would be nice if people didn't go all Danny Harriman on Jayson's accomplishments. I have a feeling this is going to get a lot more attention than John's run simply because there is more juice behind it and hopefully the video will be more accessible to the general public.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Differ how? You're saying that the pockets have to be 4.5,4.25 or what? Mosconi's run was on a oversize 8ft with big pockets and no one talks about that. Why an asterisk here? Championship 14.1 has been played almost every year on standard size pockets just like these. Do Crane's, Mizerak's, Sigel's runs/wins require asterisks too?? Please.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What all that means is, if Earl had the ability in the past to have ran 480 balls, he'd have known how to pick his patterns better to begin this competition with, but the FACT that he just could cross the 200+ mark but once in a week, and his runs actually declined showed his frustration in playing 14.1 from his lack of understanding how to play the patterns, and his shot making abilities couldn't carry him past 200+ with any regularity. Shot making will only carry you so far in 14.1, and as Jason showed, shot making and pattern recognition combined is how you post high runs.

Therefore, if Earl had ran a 407 and 480 in the past, he wouldn't have forgotten how to play the racks to get past 200+ repeatedly and higher in this event. EARL is not to old to run a 1,000 balls, and if any of you believe he is, you're all full of shit!

wtf man. earl is like 90 years old. that's more of a factor for him not running consistent 200s than anything else

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Differ how? You're saying that the pockets have to be 4.5,4.25 or what? Mosconi's run was on a oversize 8ft with big pockets and no one talks about that. Why an asterisk here? Championship 14.1 has been played almost every year on standard size pockets. Do Crane's, Mizerak's, Sigel's runs/wins require asterisks too?? Please.
Garczar,

No. My point was that these aren't standard 5" pockets. That's all. But regardless, Jayson's accomplishment is amazing.

I'm dropping this argument because I don't want to be diminishing Jayson's run. He was presented with a table and accomplished a great achievement on that table. He deserves all the credit for that.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Differ how? You're saying that the pockets have to be 4.5,4.25 or what? Mosconi's run was on a oversize 8ft with big pockets and no one talks about that. Why an asterisk here? Championship 14.1 has been played almost every year on standard size pockets. Do Crane's, Mizerak's, Sigel's runs/wins require asterisks too?? Please.
Are you trying to imply the pockets on this table are stock pockets, just like the pockets were when 14.1 events were played on GC's in the past?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Garczar,

No. My point was that these aren't standard 5" pockets. That's all. But regardless, Jayson's accomplishment is amazing.

I'm dropping this argument because I don't want to be diminishing Jayson's run. He was presented with a table and accomplished a great achievement on that table. He deserves all the credit for that.
I agree with this, but now to be fair to anyone else attempting to set a high run, they're going to have to do in on this table!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garczar,

They had pics on their FB page. 4.91" corners and 5.3" sides. Those were the standard pocket dimensions FOR YEARS. Same sizes that championship 14.1 has been played on forever. Current WPA standards may be different but why does that matter. He ran 714 on pockets the same that all the greats played on. NO asterisk required.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I donno... Eagle Eye is pretty badass...
As you are aware The eagle is a badass animal
FB_IMG_1639577963534.jpg