Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The NFL uses a smaller ball then the CFL. Not saying the CFL is the standard that should be followed...lol

I whole heartedly agree with you however. Unfortunately what should the standard be, and why should each different game use the identical specs.
The NFL ball is bigger not smaller than the college ball. That is one of the reasons young receivers struggle, the bigger ball is harder to grip and catch.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The NFL ball is bigger not smaller than the college ball. That is one of the reasons young receivers struggle, the bigger ball is harder to grip and catch.
The main distinction between official college footballs and those used in the NFL and other pro leagues is two 1-inch stripes located 3 to 3.25 inches from either end of the ball. Our pro regulation footballs are made with the same materials and dimensions as the balls used by pro teams all across the continent

And...

A college ball (D1) will be just slightly smaller (1/2" in length and 1" circumference). While the NFL ball is only slightly larger, it still seems to play a part in the drafting of QBs.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds like a reply I would have gotten from the lady that ran that disastrous grade 3 sports day event my kids attended had I expressed any emotion short of ecstatic.

If you're going to bitch about something, show you can do it better, no?

Lou Figueroa

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The NFL uses a smaller ball then the CFL. Not saying the CFL is the standard that should be followed...lol

I whole heartedly agree with you however. Unfortunately what should the standard be, and why should each different game use the identical specs.
Because the playing surface is the same size, the balls are the same size, so why shouldn't the pockets be the same size for all games of pool. I 100% whole heartedly believe the 526 and 626 high run records could have both been beat on a Diamond 9ft ProAm with ProCut pockets. The equipment is better today, the players all CLAIM to be better today, so why the need for the gaffe table? These records would have fallen a long time ago if there was a financial incentive to break them, I can guarantee you that. If players can run 285-311 claimed high runs on Diamonds already, then the POCKETS didn't hold them back and cut their runs short, they MISSED and blamed the pockets!!!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 'World Championship record (182 balls) on a 10' table is, STILL held by Joe 'Iron Man' Procita!

The ONLY chance of this 'World' record ever being broken is if there is a, 'World Straight' pool Championship held on a 5'x10'!

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that Mosconi tied Crane's 5x10 run at 309.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, he walked into a pool room where he was scheduled to do an exhibition, then ran the balls on an 8ft already set up in the pool room.

To clarify, Mosconi walked into any room, anywhere, to play on a Brunswick table, for whom he was under contract.

I saw him walk into a room in SF and play on the "tough" 1pocket table and make it look like it had buckets.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The main distinction between official college footballs and those used in the NFL and other pro leagues is two 1-inch stripes located 3 to 3.25 inches from either end of the ball. Our pro regulation footballs are made with the same materials and dimensions as the balls used by pro teams all across the continent
Wrong... The Canadian Football League uses a larger ball in dimension

Unless you meant "continental US"

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is NOT in a 'World Straight Pool Championship!"

Reading comprehension needed! The 'World Championship' record

Well, uh, Mosconi's record wasn't accomplished in a World Championship -- neither was Schmidt's run, nor Shaw's.

So basically, the runs we're talking about are not about all that... maybe you could use some help on the "comprehension" stuff yourself ;-)

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Well, uh, Mosconi's record wasn't accomplished in a World Championship -- neither was Schmidt's run, nor Shaw's.

So basically, the runs we're talking about are not about all that... maybe you could use some help on the "comprehension" stuff yourself ;-)

Lou Figueroa
So ALL of them were for, 'Funnzies' Really! Except maybe, Willie's! It was his JOB! One of many exhibitions on ONE night!

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And YOU are absolutely blind to the real truth behind all this bullshit, and Jayson don't have a damn thing to do with it. He did his JOB as the PROFESSIONAL that he is, I commend him for that!
Must be Bobby & Lou that you don't like!

gerryf

Sort of reading between the lines in Willie's autobiography, I think those two runs were on 9-footers, not 10's.
I wasn't sure. He says that the standard changed from 5x10 to 4 1/2 x 9 in 1949, but also says in the same paragraph that the 10 foot tables were reserved for championships.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Wrong... The Canadian Football League uses a larger ball in dimension

Unless you meant "continental US"
You were saying....

What is the difference between CFL and NFL footballs?

Another difference between NFL and CFL balls is that Canadian balls have two 1-inch (25 mm) complete white stripes around the football 3 in (76 mm) from the largest diameter of the ball and NFL balls have no stripes at all. The CFL retained its striping scheme when it adopted NFL measurement specifications in 2018.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have nothing against Lou, he's a paid mouth piece, Bobby on the other hand, wants to take pool back 70 years!!!!

Really?

I ain’t gettin’ paid diddly do da for this gig, lol.

Bobby asked me to be his rep on AZ and I agreed. I’d be here anyway so it wasn’t much of a stretch.

And to be honest it’s been fun for me and an honor to be connected to this project.

Lou Figueroa