Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pool is the only sport that anyone can make up the rules as they go along. Pool don't even need standards, specifications, authorized equipment, official this or that, it don't matter.
Absolutely right, sir! The rules and equipment have been a moving target for years, and it does, as you have suggested, cheapen the game.

In the recent unveiling of their new business plan, Matchroom announced an intent to standardize both the rules and the equipment specifications. Like you, I won't believe it until I see it, but at least there's one event producer out there to whom it seems important.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Given the sad state of Pools governance I would opt for the WPA standards as that is what is used currently for most Pro events.
There's the rub... The WPA standards aren't necessarily for 14.1 play. The game is commonly played on larger pockets. Much like a table preferred by 1 pocket enthusiasts is rather tight <4.5. I don't understand this one table suits all logic. That's not focused on you. Just a general statement.

I mean if we were forced to pick something, then ya sure. ...but I think that's a disservice to the various games.
I'm a big fan of Jasons game, followed his trajectory since he played English pool, disappointed that this was not done right.
I think it was done as right as anything else has been. Criticising for not following specs that don't exist seems odd.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
There's the rub... The WPA standards aren't necessarily for 14.1 play. The game is commonly played on larger pockets. Much like a table preferred by 1 pocket enthusiasts is rather tight <4.5. I don't understand this one table suits all logic. That's not focused on you. Just a general statement.

I mean if we were forced to pick something, then ya sure. ...but I think that's a disservice to the various games.

I think it was done as right as anything else has been. Criticising for not following specs that don't exist seems odd.
I think the 626 thread and all the other threads about this run speak for themselves and it's clear to me neither were done right, all IMHO of course.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Same reason why no one should have a complaint when John Schmidt runs a 800+ or even higher on a STOCK Regina 1912 9ft pool table with factory 6" corner pockets and 6 1/2" side pockets, because its clear to me, the ONLY thing that counts is the balls in the pockets!!! With Stevens woven woolen cloth, and balls polished with Johnson floor paste wax, talk about slippery, that brings a whole new meaning to spin on the cue ball!!!!
Hey, maybe we can even get Stevie Wonder to do an exhibition run of 28+😅🤣😂

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should build out a 10' Brunswick with those pocket specs, then John Schmidt can not only set the new 14.1 high run record, he can bust all the high run records ever set on a 10' as well, a two for one event, hmmmm😉

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The great thing about them old antiques is they don't have ANY pocket shelfs, suck in the balls like a shop vacuum hooked up to them!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What were the pockets on Mosconi's & Johns table. Please tell us! Seems like your just pissed that Jayson did it. Run your own event on a Diamond with 4 1/4" pockets and see who comes, NOBODY!
Why and the hell would I be pissed at Jason for posting a 714 high run? Just the determination it took to hang in there that long is commendable! No, my hats off to Jayson, hell of a job on his part!!!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should build out a 10' Brunswick with those pocket specs, then John Schmidt can not only set the new 14.1 high run record, he can bust all the high run records ever set on a 10' as well, a two for one event, hmmmm😉
I would pay to see that.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You Sir, are an idiot! Good Table Mechanic, but that's all I can say about you! Did you pick on Johns Pockets after his 626?
And YOU are absolutely blind to the real truth behind all this bullshit, and Jayson don't have a damn thing to do with it. He did his JOB as the PROFESSIONAL that he is, I commend him for that!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

NO OTHER SPORT ON THE PLANET HAS MOVEABLE GOAL POSTS, like American supported pool has. Name ONE single sport that the goal line keeps changing in??? Golf has the same size hole, don't matter what course you're play, basket ball has the same hoop, baseballs are ALL the same size, footballs are all the same size used in the sport. Why does AMERICAN pool refuse to accept standards??? Tell me!!!

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my teen years, I played on one of those 6-1/2" side pocket tables. Cue ball scratches into the side was common. I think such a table might hurt the effort for a big run.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In my teen years, I played on one of those 6-1/2" side pocket tables. Cue ball scratches into the side was common. I think such a table might hurt the effort for a big run.
All depends on how hard you have to hit the rack to get the balls to spread out, I have a fix for that😉

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
The 'World Championship record (182 balls) on a 10' table is, STILL held by Joe 'Iron Man' Procita!

The ONLY chance of this 'World' record ever being broken is if there is a, 'World Straight' pool Championship held on a 5'x10'!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
NO OTHER SPORT ON THE PLANET HAS MOVEABLE GOAL POSTS, like American supported pool has. Name ONE single sport that the goal line keeps changing in??? Golf has the same size hole, don't matter what course you're play, basket ball has the same hoop, baseballs are ALL the same size, footballs are all the same size used in the sport. Why does AMERICAN pool refuse to accept standards??? Tell me!!!
The NFL uses a smaller ball then the CFL. Not saying the CFL is the standard that should be followed...lol

I whole heartedly agree with you however. Unfortunately what should the standard be, and why should each different game use the identical specs.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Same reason why no one should have a complaint when John Schmidt runs a 800+ or even higher on a STOCK Regina 1912 9ft pool table with factory 6" corner pockets and 6 1/2" side pockets, because its clear to me, the ONLY thing that counts is the balls in the pockets!!!
Hard to argue with this... would be funny to watch

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Pool is the only sport that anyone can make up the rules as they go along. Pool don't even need standards, specifications, authorized equipment, official this or that, it don't matter. Hell, pool don't even have an official sanctioning body! It's no wonder why pool is leaving America for other countries. All America has to do is finish laying down, because its dead in this sport. We're no longer the leader in this sport, we've officially become the peanut gallery. A new official high run record, on some kind of equipment with buckets of unknown specifications, but who cares. On this basis alone, no one should complain if the record is broken again on a table with 6" corner pockets and 6 1/2" sides!!!! Buckets ARE Buckets, right!!!
Well, didn't Mosconi specify 5" corners?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The NFL uses a smaller ball then the CFL. Not saying the CFL is the standard that should be followed...lol

I whole heartedly agree with you however. Unfortunately what should the standard be, and why should each different game use the identical specs.
Baseball has so many records broken because there are no set dimensions.
Even the balls are juiced.

Mowem down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one AGREE 110% with this angle on pocket billiards in America and you make valid points. The rules ( Moveable Goal Posts is spot on and I would ad name one game other than pocket billiards when you have to pay for your opponents mistakes ) are a problem. That being said I dont understand why you feel the need to be so abrasive. It just makes it easy for people to dismiss you. With all your knowledge and contacts you could help the game ( even more than you have ) but that will never happen when the approach is GO F**k YOURSELF YOURE AN IDIOT. Someone once asked me " why would you act in a manner to push people away from the light rather than pull them to it "