Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

kanzzo

hobby player
I still think the withholding of the #’s was due to RKC’s belligerence in the beginning thread about this endeavor. And once they took a stand to not show another picture from a different angle or give the deets that was that. Any caving in to pressure would be caving.

The picture going around with two balls has been called “jayson’s picture” a few times. He did not post that pic but it’s a still frame taken from a video where he put the balls in haphazardly and said they’re buckets during a podcast.

I don’t know shit all about camera angle distortion and stuff but the camera was looking from other end of the table (from the pocket in question), straight ahead. Someone took a screen shot and that’s being analyzed and considered concrete conclusive evidence of 5 1/4” pockets.

I don’t know. Just laying out some stuff
My measurements are not precise either. Just pointing in the direction where my gut tells me, it doesn't quite add up. I was measuring it with a simple ruler on my monitor after zooming in on the picture.

There are capable people out there with great software and on a high resolution video they are able to recalculate the precise measurements taking the camera distorsion into account.

If these people conclude, the table is ok and the record gets BCA approval, it's ok with me.

RKC has a strange way to get his point across and he writes about lot of things where he is everything but an expert. But he did see and set up lots of pool tables in his life and I start to believe he was on the right track at this point from the beginning, pointing out that the pockets look overly generous.

Schmidt played thousands of hours straight pool and has a good feeling which balls get accepted on what equipment and he thinks the table played overly generous.

Perhaps I got carried away a little on my last few posts. Before I used more precise words of caution like "it's more likely" and "usually".

It's a scientific approach with dealing with unknown. If my model gets proved wrong I can accept it. If this is a legitimate table, John Schmidt will set up one exactly like this and try to come back. If BCA says, these are the table specifications for accepted high runs, so be it.

It still doesn't quite add up why anyone would make such a secret out of the table specification for an GC III (like the most classic pool table there is) but be it. From the frame of the video the pockets look like 5 1/4 ''. If we get more precise measurement, this data can be corrected.

Last edited:

kanzzo

hobby player
This would take some extra effort.
thanks for your photos.

This is what my GC III also looked like and these look like regular 5'' pockets

gcIII.jpg

the gray line is where it got cut for the Legends table to make the facing more parallel and the opening wider.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I saw a pretty important ball go in that I would’ve bet halfway through it’s travel would not fall.

Jayson didn’t really seem fazed so it’s possible he knew exactly where he was hitting it and what would happen, after playing a week on the table.

A generous table for sure but that’s what it was ‘supposed’ to be. No matter what it’s super impressive and I wanna see more try on that same table.

I wanna see the magical 1k

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it really negative PR..or just the same 8 or 10 here arguing in circles for days about something?
Is it really negative PR..or just the same 8 or 10 here arguing in circles for days about something?

714 balls run wow!!!

I'm ready to see the next man or woman up to see how they do.
In recent years, I can hardly think of a topic discussed on here where hardly anyone agreed with RKC and the abrasive way he comes across, despite most us attesting to his skills and experience regarding pool table setups, etc.

As far as this issue, RKC was the first one to question the size of the pockets as being unusually large. Since then, due to the way Lou (representing the organizers of this effort) has come across so defensively and secretively, in addition to the screenshot evidence of the pockets from this table, there is clearly a growing number of us, including myself, that have been asking for transparency and honesty regarding these pockets. Yet there is still unbelievable resistance from Lou, who is likely being told how to handle this by the organizers.

I stand by every statement I have made on this issue over the last five days, and I’ve tried to do so while maintaining respect and composure in all my responses, as hard as that has sometimes been when I see what I believe to be a complete cover-up. I’m interested to see how this all plays out, but just hoping that whoever certifies this run from the BCA takes a good look at the pocket specs, just like we have, before they make their determination.

stevelomako

Things could be worse
Silver Member
In recent years, I can hardly think of a topic discussed on here where hardly anyone agreed with RKC and the abrasive way he comes across, despite most us attesting to his skills and experience regarding pool table setups, etc.

As far as this issue, RKC was the first one to question the size of the pockets as being unusually large. Since then, due to the way Lou (representing the organizers of this effort) has come across so defensively and secretively, in addition to the screenshot evidence of the pockets from this table, there is clearly a growing number of us, including myself, that have been asking for transparency and honesty regarding these pockets. Yet there is still unbelievable resistance from Lou, who is likely being told how to handle this by the organizers.

I stand by every statement I have made on this issue over the last five days, and I’ve tried to do so while maintaining respect and composure in all my responses, as hard as that has sometimes been when I see what I believe to be a complete cover-up. I’m interested to see how this all plays out, but just hoping that whoever certifies this run from the BCA takes a good look at the pocket specs, just like we have, before they make their determination.

I’ve read this whole thread and the others.

You spout more “verbal diarrhea” than anyone except RKC.

Congratulations.

You’re going to stink up other threads that don’t even have anything to do with this with your asinine comments about this like I jus saw in the Bigfoot thread. WTF!

No hidden agenda with you? You’re pretty obsessed with this, way too obsessed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Your customers have their hands full with you getting in their business like you stated you can’t win a argument with a few of them.
Why the hell argue with your customers in the first place?
Oh, they might have ate a French fry too close to one of your 10 tables 😱 🤣🤣

Anyway…obviously…the pockets look like 5”

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't worry about that, its already being planned, using a antique Brunswick Regina 9ft with factory 6" corner pockets and 6 1/2" sides, and no pocket shelf to speak of in the corner pockets, because that's how the STOCK tables were built by Brunswick back then. Pocket size has been proven to be of no concern to anyone so I WILL post and prove all the pocket specs so anyone that knows what they're doing can copy the table playing conditions.
Hell, Jayson would run 1500 on that. This table would have pocket like the one Mosconi did 526 on.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’ve read this whole thread and the others.

You spout more “verbal diarrhea” than anyone except RKC.

Congratulations.

You’re going to stink up other threads that don’t even have anything to do with this with your asinine comments about this like I jus saw in the Bigfoot thread. WTF!

No hidden agenda with you? You’re pretty obsessed with this, way too obsessed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Your customers have their hands full with you getting in their business like you stated you can’t win a argument with a few of them.
Why the hell argue with your customers in the first place?
Oh, they might have ate a French fry too close to one of your 10 tables 😱 🤣🤣

That’s fine, I can take that criticism. It seems you’re pretty obsessed with this topic too, since you’ve read almost every post made on here.

I think RKC and myself both have more experience as far as determining pocket sizes than most on here, so on this topic, if you want to lump me in there with him, that’s perfectly fine.

We’ve both seen what we need to see to know within 1/8 of an inch as to what size corner pockets these truly are. What the BCA decides to do on this, that’s their business, but I am entitled to voicing my opinion just as you are. I thought that is what this forum is all about.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

My pockets ARE 5" and the high run table looks nothing like it. The rails are clearly set wide and that can't help but enlarge the pocket.

They may or may not be "too" big but they are 100% bigger than standard and bigger than 5".
26c7911b34d489c10dfbe069f59f525b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
My pockets ARE 5" and the high run table looks nothing like it. The rails are clearly set wide and that can't help but enlarge the pocket.

They may or may not be "too" big but they are 100% bigger than standard and bigger than 5".

What model GC is this?

stevelomako

Things could be worse
Silver Member

Sorry. 100% not bigger. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get about 5 1/4" using rulers and comparing with the balls. Maybe you measured the mouth at a different place? If not, then this is a lesson in how much a pic can distort things even when carefully taken from straight above like yours.

pj
chgo

View attachment 626142
Wow, if that’s a generous 5-1/4 inches, the 714 table is definitely at the very least 5-1/4”. Your superimposed ruler measurements sure look accurate to me.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Its a bit like measuring a wet noodle with slightly different cushion shapes.
Yep, a clear illustration of why a physical ruler across the physical points is the only reliable picture.
Your ruler measurements sure look accurate to me.
So do logical's, and I trust his more because they're taken on the table rather than on a picture of the table. A lesson in what to trust.

pj
chgo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay close attention! For you novices the mouth opening is measured at the rail nose points where the cloth covering changes directions from both rail openings. Looks more like 5-3/8 inches. Find a new mechanic.
Yeah, I thought it was 5-3/8, but I was giving the benefit of the doubt on the tighter side. If anyone here was to claim the 714 table was 5-3/8”, a number of posters here might absolutely lose it - the same ones who’ve been drinking the kool-aid on the 5” pockets claim.

Last edited:

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Yeah, I thought it was 5-3/8, but I was giving the benefit of the doubt on the tighter side. If anyone here was to claim the 714 table was 5-3/8”, a number of posters here might absolutely lose it - the same ones who still believe it was 5” pockets.

Is the only evidence of 5 1/4 pockets the photo from the podcast that was taken from across the table at an angle tilted more than logical's? I think they proved above you can't accurately measure pocket size from these photos.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the only evidence of 5 1/4 pockets the photo from the podcast that was taken from across the table at an angle tilted more than logical's? I think they proved above you can't accurately measure pocket size from these photos.
To clear up some potential confusion, the photos of logical’s table are his home table, not the 714 table.

He was just showing it to make a comparison of his corner pockets to the screenshot of the 714 table corner pockets.