$500 CF shaft

chenjy9

I find it hard to believe the occasional wipe down with a paper towel would sand through the sealer/oil/dirt that’s on the shaft then sand the wood before I’ve used it enough to create another layer of oil/dirt though I could be wrong.

I am definitely not saying using a paper towel sands down the shaft. What I am saying is that wood by itself is soft enough enough where any time you rub something against it, it removes a really thin layer. Ultimately, it's a moot point and not one I should have bothered mentioning.

chenjy9

You must have special 220 grit paper towels.. I would love to see how much wood you could sand off a shaft with a paper towel in one hour or one week non stop. You are kidding right??

I wasn't suggesting that you can sand down the shaft, just that it removes a thin layer (which is true). I do use pretty rough paper towels due to being cheap, though it's not sandpaper level. At the end of the day, the original point I was trying to make was that carbon fiber is a much more durable material than wood. The sanding stuff was a tangent point talking about how much easier it is to maintain and clean a CF shaft vs wood.

xX-Wizard-Xx

I am definitely not saying using a paper towel sands down the shaft. What I am saying is that wood by itself is soft enough enough where any time you rub something against it, it removes a really thin layer. Ultimately, it's a moot point and not one I should have bothered mentioning.
this is just crazy ...... a wooden shaft should last the life time of a person. just cause you rub a paper towel does not mean your going loose any noticeable amount of the diameter of a shaft. sure if you are a careless person and continuously use 80 grits sand paper... then sure you will be manufacturing a tooth pick

chenjy9

this is just crazy ...... a wooden shaft should last the life time of a person. just cause you rub a paper towel does not mean your going loose any noticeable amount of

Since you missed it, let me bold it for you.

Again, I am not saying it will tangibly sand down the shaft. What I am saying is that rubbing anything on wood takes off material, albeit super little with microfiber cloths or paper towels. This is what makes me say that carbon fiber is an objectively better build material as it is more durable, however marginal, which was where this whole discussion about sanding extended from.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A paper towel is not going to remove ANYTHING from a maple shaft. WTF?? Where do people get this shit??

xX-Wizard-Xx

Since you missed it, let me bold it for you.

Again, I am not saying it will tangibly sand down the shaft. What I am saying is that rubbing anything on wood takes off material, albeit super little with microfiber cloths or paper towels. This is what makes me say that carbon fiber is an objectively better build material as it is more durable, however marginal, which was where this whole discussion about sanding extended from.
CF is also not natural material ..... if you take care of your cue ... it will last a lifetime. basically what you are saying is so little that its senseless to even consider it given that a person take care of their cue.

chenjy9

CF is also not natural material ..... if you take care of your cue ... it will last a lifetime. basically what you are saying is so little that its senseless to even consider it given that a person take care of their cue.

A point which I have readily admitted. Please read what I post more carefully if you are going to respond.

Personally, I don't care if a material is natural or not. There are good reasons the world has largely moved on to synthetic/composite materials in virtually every single industry; they can easily be lighter, more durable, and in some cases even cheaper.

Ill Gotten Gain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question to the OP
can you make a maple shaft with a long thin taper and still play stiff? I’m not saying stiff for maple but comparable to a carbon fiber shaft of the same measurements.

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just why?

A $500 maple shaft won’t fix a $1 stroke either. A $300 case won’t fix a $1 stroke. A cue from a master custom cue maker won’t fix a $1 stroke. A glove won’t fix a $1 stroke. Your favorite chalk won’t fix a $1 stroke. Talcum powder won’t fix a $1 stroke. A Southwest cue won’t fix a $1 stroke.

Why create such an inane topic? Can’t we be better people?
Why have all shafts prices gone up so much, I purchased Tiger Ultra LD shaft in 2012 for about $90, now they are listed on their site for $250 ea. I am an old man I know things get more expensive with time but this seems excessive to me.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People don't need lessons... They need time at the table
You are so wrong

Reminds me of Thursday night at Southern Billiards. There was a late 20 something year old playing 9 ball on the bar box next to us. The kid played pretty good but had the worst fundamentals that I’ve ever seen. Later in the night when he quit playing I had a little chat with him. I told him that he plays well but could be a very good player if he had better fundamentals. The kid said he’s self taught and has spent thousands of hours playing pool. I told him “I can tell”.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Yeah table time is great. But sometimes you can have a bad habit or three without realizing it. Lessons, formal or informal, with someone knowledgeable are yuge

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also lets not forget that they are way, way overpriced. Remember folks these are not hand made tapered carbon tubes like carbon fiber bike frames. They came out around the same time or a little later when they figure out how to machine carbon fiber. You know you can buy a tapered carbon fiber bicycle handle for like 60 bucks. Pretty much all tapered carbon fiber tubes are made by two asian companies which is also selling a similar product to the golf industry. It is cheaper to make a carbon fiber shaft than any maple shaft. Also takes a lot less time to make. You don't need to stabilize carbon fiber. They don't cost more then 20 bucks to make the tube. Paying 500 buck for a carbon fiber shaft you are getting screwed.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why have all shafts prices gone up so much, I purchased Tiger Ultra LD shaft in 2012 for about $90, now they are listed on their site for $250 ea. I am an old man I know things get more expensive with time but this seems excessive to me.

I've never seen their shafts as cheap as 90, in fact the only LD shaft I can think of being nearly that price is the PureX HXT shafts back when they first came out, and I think they were over $100 back then.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are so wrong

Reminds me of Thursday night at Southern Billiards. There was a late 20 something year old playing 9 ball on the bar box next to us. The kid played pretty good but had the worst fundamentals that I’ve ever seen. Later in the night when he quit playing I had a little chat with him. I told him that he plays well but could be a very good player if he had better fundamentals. The kid said he’s self taught and has spent thousands of hours playing pool. I told him “I can tell”.

The other half truth is "playing better players will make you better". That is only true if you can learn from what they do. If they don't explain how they play when you see something new or different from them, all you will get from playing better players is a lighter wallet and time sitting down watching them shoot. It may make you mentally prepared, maybe, but in most cases it actually makes the player want to just quit since it can be embarrassing to get manhandled like nothing when you come up against someone better, especially much better. I can think of dozens of players I have seen wander into a pool hall for a tournament with a "I beat my friends in my basement all the time, had a table since I was 12" strut and then never be seen again when they go 2 and out to a C or B player. In my experience, less than a quarter of the players I see get beat down want to ramp up the game to win more, the rest are just happy to take their league handicap and try to win using that or just try to avoid paying players a level over them.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other half truth is "playing better players will make you better". That is only true if you can learn from what they do. If they don't explain how they play when you see something new or different from them, all you will get from playing better players is a lighter wallet and time sitting down watching them shoot. It may make you mentally prepared, maybe, but in most cases it actually makes the player want to just quit since it can be embarrassing to get manhandled like nothing when you come up against someone better, especially much better. I can think of dozens of players I have seen wander into a pool hall for a tournament with a "I beat my friends in my basement all the time, had a table since I was 12" strut and then never be seen again when they go 2 and out to a C or B player. In my experience, less than a quarter of the players I see get beat down want to ramp up the game to win more, the rest are just happy to take their league handicap and try to win using that or just try to avoid paying players a level over them.
I think your half truth is only half true, at least for 1P. I’ve learned a lot from playing and losing to better players in 1P. Not so much in 9 ball.