Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful post.
I admire Shaw's talent and wish him the best that life has to offer,
but I hate he got tied in with this bunch and hope he severs all ties.
I really wish he would say he's already finanially secure with his pool hall
and not endorse any payouts for anyone concerned.
I've learned a helluva lot in the last few months with this event and all the posts and comments concerning it.

Jayson wants to come back.

He thinks he can top his own number.

Lou Figueroa

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
this time have him do it in a pool room with diamond regulation tables. with the public allowed to watch. then we would have nothing to argue about.
and he can rightly say he has broken and made a true worlds record.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson wants to come back.

He thinks he can top his own number.

Lou Figueroa
Best of luck to Jayson if he does try it. I hope he tries it at his room, at his US1 Billiards in West Haven
on one of his standard 9' tables without any bullshit tuning and without all the hoopla of any carnival type barkers involved.
He should start his own high-run straight pool challenge and schedule others to come and participate.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this time have him do it in a pool room with diamond regulation tables. with the public allowed to watch. then we would have nothing to argue about.
and he can rightly say he has broken and made a true worlds record.
How does attempting it on a Diamond validate anything? Mosconi set the record on an oversized 8' Brunswick shit box with buckets, yet you want a contemporary to set the new record on a 9' table with deep shelves and 4.5" pockets? No advancements in playing equipment over the last 70 years can level that field. IMO, there's nothing wrong with attempting the record on a Gold Crown with 5"+ pockets. All the other pocket specs have been made public except the down angle. Maybe they're cut favorable, maybe they aren't. Do any AZB members frequent that room? Perhaps they could snap a pic showing the down angle? Degrading Jayson's accomplishment because of the down angle spec not being released is more petty than the principals of the event not releasing it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best of luck to Jayson if he does try it. I hope he tries it at his room, at his US1 Billiards in West Haven
on one of his standard 9' tables without any bullshit tuning and without all the hoopla of any carnival type barkers involved.
He should start his own high-run straight pool challenge and schedule others to come and participate.

John,

You and everyone that has been around the block a few times knows how much tables matter. An example, Mike Massey and Spitball Charlie put on an exhibition after Katrina. Olhausen supplied a couple of eight foot home tables. Mike plays decent pool but nobody would claim he is among the elite today or then.

Before the exhibition the tables were open. You could play eightball with Mike or Charlie for ten bucks and if you won you got a signed ball. Mike would break and run all of the balls down to the eight, then hook himself on the eight. After playing great shape on the other balls Mike would hook himself on the eight, kick and miss pocketing the eight so if you could run eight balls on a wide open table you got the signed ball.

On these eight foot home tables Mike looked like a world champion! In two to three hours I saw him really miss twice, either not pocketing a ball or genuinely missing shape.
How does attempting it on a Diamond validate anything? Mosconi set the record on an oversized 8' Brunswick shit box with buckets, yet you want a contemporary to set the new record on a 9' table with deep shelves and 4.5" pockets? No advancements in playing equipment over the last 70 years can level that field. IMO, there's nothing wrong with attempting the record on a Gold Crown with 5"+ pockets. All the other pocket specs have been made public except the down angle. Maybe they're cut favorable, maybe they aren't. Do any AZB members frequent that room? Perhaps they could snap a pic showing the down angle? Degrading Jayson's accomplishment because of the down angle spec not being released is more petty than the principals of the event not releasing it.

You make some good points. However, we constantly hear that today's players are far better than yesteryears and it isn't just improved equipment that is easier to play on. Now to set records they are going with the best of both worlds, fast cloth and cushions, nice better reacting balls, better tips, very possibly better made cues. Heaters? Climate controlled rooms. Then they need the bigger pockets of yesteryear too? Mosconi's high run and other high runs that weren't as well documented were made on the equipment of the day. Seems to me that the players of today should be trying to set records on the equipment of today, not these frankenstein tables they are setting up for record attempts.

I don't want to take away from the players of today but it seems to me that john proved he had to have a gimmick table after failing for half a lifetime without one. Jason isn't a well practiced 14.1 player, seems like the table probably played a big part in his record too. I am not diminishing the runs of today's players, they are doing it to themselves. Jason set a record with a few days effort ... and a magic table!

Hu

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are too jumpy with your arguments and here you are wrong.

No money in the world will get any player to beat the record. Because it's too tough and such great accomplishments are impossible with external motivation alone. Playing 2600 balls in a day and coming back to play the whole night was not because of the money. Neither was it for John Schmidt.

I would try to break the record with no financial initiative (so this is at least one example to prove your point wrong), though my chances are very slim :)

Money is a nice side effect and I am happy for John and for Jayson if they can make some bucks with their great accomplishments but people don't play pool because of the money as the single and most important initiative (but because they love the game and love the competition and want to be the best) and they don't become great in pool because of the money.

And everyone is free to do whatever he wants with his money. If someone loves the sport and wants to support great players playing straight pool, then hell yes, this is the best thing that could happen to the sport I fell in love with over 20 years ago. (And still am :love: )
Huh?
I think any conversations about beating the record are had with the assumption the shooters have sufficient skills to get it done.

Money isn't the sole motivator but it is likely the biggest (and avoiding a real job is the same motivation as money!)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John,

You and everyone that has been around the block a few times knows how much tables matter. An example, Mike Massey and Spitball Charlie put on an exhibition after Katrina. Olhausen supplied a couple of eight foot home tables. Mike plays decent pool but nobody would claim he is among the elite today or then.

Before the exhibition the tables were open. You could play eightball with Mike or Charlie for ten bucks and if you won you got a signed ball. Mike would break and run all of the balls down to the eight, then hook himself on the eight. After playing great shape on the other balls Mike would hook himself on the eight, kick and miss pocketing the eight so if you could run eight balls on a wide open table you got the signed ball.

On these eight foot home tables Mike looked like a world champion! In two to three hours I saw him really miss twice, either not pocketing a ball or genuinely missing shape.

You make some good points. However, we constantly hear that today's players are far better than yesteryears and it isn't just improved equipment that is easier to play on. Now to set records they are going with the best of both worlds, fast cloth and cushions, nice better reacting balls, better tips, very possibly better made cues. Heaters? Climate controlled rooms. Then they need the bigger pockets of yesteryear too? Mosconi's high run and other high runs that weren't as well documented were made on the equipment of the day. Seems to me that the players of today should be trying to set records on the equipment of today, not these frankenstein tables they are setting up for record attempts.

I don't want to take away from the players of today but it seems to me that john proved he had to have a gimmick table after failing for half a lifetime without one. Jason isn't a well practiced 14.1 player, seems like the table probably played a big part in his record too. I am not diminishing the runs of today's players, they are doing it to themselves. Jason set a record with a few days effort ... and a magic table!

Hu
Best Response yet on this WHOLE issue! For the "set Up" to include EVERY possible modern benefit to running balls- someone wants to go back and add just ONE SMALL variable - large pockets- I'm sorry but I'm just not buying into it all. I think any pro with a real set of balls would refuse this attempt and insist on using a pro set up ALL the way around.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's all hope we get back to some sense of normalcy on all of this high run stuff. Someone mentioned that they thought a lot of rotation players will now take up 14.1 bc of all the hype from the Hi - Run-- Well-- wait until they get on their pool room 9 foot Diamond pro tables and figure out that they can't run 2 racks - we shall see how fast they run away from 14.1. The game is no where close to being as easy as it looked on this most recent challenge on Facebook.