Cue Chalking Crutch

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Both can contribute. An unchalked tip gets slick / burnished and slips off the ball for sure in my experience. Otherwise no one would use chalk at all.

220, or 320 SandPaper will scuff Tip, and it will help Tip hold Chalk.

I already said how I Chalk, with Cue Butt Butt Cap on floor, Tip up at 30 degrees with light hiring so I can see entire Tip.

If you Chalk sparingly, area that needs Chalk, your Chalk will last if you stroke or brush on.

Not using Dental Technique, DRILLING OUT CENTER, CREATING CAVITY IN CHAL CENTER.🥵🤬😡

I laught at people with Tip Tools who constantly use em aggressively, they are Cue Repair Guys Best Customers. Need new Tip very frequently, from over use of Tip Grinder, not playing.

Last edited:

mrpiper

Registered
I laught at people with Tip Tools who constantly use em aggressively, they are Cue Repair Guys Best Customers. Need new Tip very frequently, from over use of Tip Grinder, not playing.
Agree completely.
A properly shaped, medium, layered tip (I like Tiger M or G2M) NOT USED FOR BREAKING will not usually mushroom or need reshaping often.
Gentle scuffing ONLY when the tip will not hold chalk.
I have been able to get several YEARS out of a good and well cared for tip. Even then, I just changed it because it was getting very hard and I like a medium to soft tip. The last one I changed out was still about 2.5mm thick, it had just become like a rock from use.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Agree completely.
A properly shaped, medium, layered tip (I like Tiger M or G2M) NOT USED FOR BREAKING will not usually mushroom or need reshaping often.
Gentle scuffing ONLY when the tip will not hold chalk.
I have been able to get several YEARS out of a good and well cared for tip. Even then, I just changed it because it was getting very hard and I like a medium to soft tip. The last one I changed out was still about 2.5mm thick, it had just become like a rock from use.

Two kids of people in World those who take care of things they buy.

Those who can have a 4 month old car or anything that is trashed. Because they just do not take care of anything.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If chalk is not used to prevent miscues, what is its purpose?

Help Draw And Spin Ball.

Knew a gentleman who was at one time very good players, one of his tracing aids was Tipless Cue.

Flat Bare Wood End, like I said it was his teaching aid.

Test of story is to figure out, but you did Stroke Balls With Bare Stick.😁

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Okay.....slightly on-topic:

Why do some players pick up the chalk and chalk their cues on the way back to their chairs (setting the chalk back onto the rail when getting to the end of the table)???

It drives me crazy because I know good and damn well that player is going to chalk the hell out of the tip as soon as they get back to the table.

Maniac

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If chalk is not used to prevent miscues, what is its purpose?
To allow the player to spin the ball. Sure, no chalk will increase the likelihood of miscues, but as Dr. Dave has shown, what chalk is used isn't a significant factor, just that the tip is chalked. But how many times do you see a player chalk up, miscue, and then look at their tip suspiciously as if it was the tip's fault or the chalk's fault? I maintain that in my experience the majority of miscues have nothing to do with chalk, they are due to a crooked stroke that takes the point of contact on the cueball out of the safe zone.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.. But how many times do you see a player chalk up, miscue, and then look at their tip suspiciously as if it was the tip's fault or the chalk's fault? ...
One problem as I see it is that the vast majority of pool players don't know how to chalk. Look at the chalk in the typical bar or pool hall. Holes drilled down the middle. People who know how to chalk don't do that. If you watch the poor chalkers, I think you'll see that they rarely look at their tip.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One problem as I see it is that the vast majority of pool players don't know how to chalk. Look at the chalk in the typical bar or pool hall. Holes drilled down the middle. People who know how to chalk don't do that. If you watch the poor chalkers, I think you'll see that they rarely look at their tip.
I agree. I lightly stroke the tip with the chalk. As a result:

1) even coverage
2) no caked on chalk
3) cleaner table (see 2, above)
4) conditions tip so scuffing or shaping rarely needed
5) lets a cube of chalk last a long, long time if you carry your own as I do

So with all that, I have nothing to blame my miscues on other than my crooked stroke. LOL

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

1) even coverage
2) no caked on chalk

So with all that, I have nothing to blame my miscues on other than my crooked stroke. LOL
Tables would be even be cleaner if people didnt hold their cues over the table while chalking.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
To allow the player to spin the ball. Sure, no chalk will increase the likelihood of miscues, but as Dr. Dave has shown, what chalk is used isn't a significant factor, just that the tip is chalked. But how many times do you see a player chalk up, miscue, and then look at their tip suspiciously as if it was the tip's fault or the chalk's fault? I maintain that in my experience the majority of miscues have nothing to do with chalk, they are due to a crooked stroke that takes the point of contact on the cueball out of the safe zone.
I can only speak for myself here but after a miscue I examine the tip to see how bad the miscue was. I want to see how much of the tip is clear of chalk and looking like a hardwood floor.

xX-Wizard-Xx

1) even coverage
2) no caked on chalk

same for me ... my master chalks usually wear evenly down ... no drill hole

Clement

I'm "guilty" of this, but it's part of my pre-shot routine sooo... not gonna change things up since the chalk I use are relatively cheap (no harm, no foul)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do most players chalk their cue when they get up when reconsidering a shot? This results in unnecessary chalking. It appears that they use it as a crutch. Do they believe it is important to chalk their cue as a last step in their pre-shot routine?
For me, chalking is the trigger to start my pre-shot routine. So when I get down over the ball, if I have any indecision, I get back up and restart my pre-shot routine, by chalking up again, even though it is obviously not necessary.

This is why I think it’s foolish, when I see players chalking their tip after missing, on the way to their seat. Most of those players chalk up again when they do get back up to the table to shoot, so why they chalk on the way to their seat is a complete waste.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Why do most players chalk their cue when they get up when reconsidering a shot? This results in unnecessary chalking. It appears that they use it as a crutch. Do they believe it is important to chalk their cue as a last step in their pre-shot routine?
You answered your own question. Obviously they know it doesn't need more chalk, just keeping the routine consistent.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Yeah, I see a lot of American pool players chalking like this without even looking at the tip to see if it's covered. I don't know, always looked strange to me.
I also don't look at my shoes when I tie my laces...lol

It's sad that it appears to be a skill needed to be learnt just like any other. However once someone grasps how to chalk effectively then you really shouldn't need to look at your tip to do so.