Cut Shots - Do you use Center of Cue Ball or Edge of Cue Ball for alignment to the Object Ball or Both

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can say about this subject…”Doesn’t any play pool instinctively anymore or has it become mechanical and theoretical?” Anyone? Anyone? Buller...
I think academia is unavoidable with this information society. (remember that?) But, you put together the chunks intuitively.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
”Doesn’t any play pool instinctively anymore or has it become mechanical and theoretical?”
Sometimes it takes a while to find the forest when all these damn trees get in the way. I honestly, honestly think the whole point of any aiming system is to teach you to shoot instinctively, and perhaps get you sucking less until instinctive shooting actually clicks.

Once you realize that the point of any aiming system is to get you to shoot shots, eventually you can just shoot shots. We use multiplication tables until we innately know that 5 X 5 is 25. Once we know that, we know it and don't have to reference the multiplication table anymore. If we have a brain fart, sure, pull out the references, but at some point the references should not even be needed.

If you can make 3-4 balls in a row and are still missing shots, there's a large chance that "aim" isn't the issue. It's fundamentals, jumping/tensing, mental, etc. If you're making 3-4 balls then do a meathead shot, you don't need aiming systems, you need practice and fundamental (including mental) work.

OneHandedBreak

No handed breaks too
I tend to get pretty low on most shots whenever possible. Once I have decided on the matter of speed, draw/top/left/right on the cue ball for the desired leave, I go through several mental/visual cues, which include:

1. I stand over the shot with the OB lined up with the point at the back of the pocket (or rail on bank shots) that I want to hit. I then get down low and look for the contact point on the OB.

2. I then look for the point on the felt that the cue ball will be at the point of contact, and I visualize one of those little aiming dots stuck to the felt at that spot.

3. With my eyes still locked on the imaginary spot, I then swing over to the cue ball, taking a mental note of how many degrees I have moved from #1. On a short shot with a lot of cut, this angle may represent a slice of pie, while on a long shot with less cut it might be just a long sliver.

4. With the shot now lined up in my mind, I get down to table level and imagine the CB and OB as two concentric circles representing a straight on shot. As the angle of the shot increases, these circles move apart until at some point they look just like the MasterCard logo, and at the extreme end of cut they are barely touching. I then go back in my mind to the spot in #2 and move these circles apart in my mind until the CB is aimed at the dot. The amount of movement is dependent on both the visualization of the dot in #2, the angle in #3, and concentric circles thing.

5. I then forget everything in #1-4 and let it fly.

Kjackxon

Nope.
" I don´t care contact spot. It is too hard to see unless shot is close to straight in. I don´t recommend still players use that kind of aiming unless you are familiar of all aspects that affect the shot."

Pretty clear English there. I'm not even arguing.
This is good collaboration and needful - as long as we keep the conversation progressive. No offense should be taken for defending one’s point of view. I recall during a critical match that my vision had blurred and I could not see the OB contact point. I’d already processed where I needed to aim, but the view was obstructed. What do I do? Kudos to both you guys in knowing this: My setup and alignment had not changed, and I had to make the shot or possibly lose the game. I stepped back, recomposed myself, and pocketed the ball. The only thing I remember is that I went on to win that game. What I’m saying is that you can get results in many different ways. You must be confident that under pressure… “Shoot Pool.”

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is good collaboration and needful - as long as we keep the conversation progressive. No offense should be taken for defending one’s point of view. I recall during a critical match that my vision had blurred and I could not see the OB contact point. I’d already processed where I needed to aim, but the view was obstructed. What do I do? Kudos to both you guys in knowing this: My setup and alignment had not changed, and I had to make the shot or possibly lose the game. I stepped back, recomposed myself, and pocketed the ball. The only thing I remember is that I went on to win that game. What I’m saying is that you can get results in many different ways. You must be confident that under pressure… “Shoot Pool.”
I'm a contact point Nazi when it comes to aiming instructions. It's actually a contact lattice and only requires that you can envision in perspective. It's probably similar to how an illustrator sees drawing - only far simpler and no drawing required. I liken the process to carpentry since you can take the time to consider the marks either 2 or 1 dimensionally and rule your lines. The cutting results are like perfectly conjoined lengths of lumber. This differs greatly from mere estimation and I interject with this notion as the opportunity arises. It's just a statement of some facts and arguments against it fall into the sort of ridiculum this forum is peppered with. So, I don't push. Arguing is their game.