EU Sanctions and the Mosconi Cup

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Matchroom was willing to enforce Billy’s ban for Mosconi Cup at WPA’s behest within the umbrella of WADA and IOC. Seems like not only might Fedor have a challenge gaining ranking points but I can imagine Matchroom enforcing a Russian ban at WPA’s behest too.

I'm not sure this paints the right picture. Matchroom, for practical purposes, had no decision to make in this situation.

Billy, by playing in WPA Sanctioned events, was governed by WPA rules, which included compliance with WADA drug mandates. When Billy tested positive for a disallowed substance, he was in breach of his contract with WPA, and was disciplined for it by losing his eligibility to play in WPA-sanctioned events for a period prescribed by WPA. As a producer of several WPA-sanctioned events, Matchroom had no choice but to abide by WPA's decision.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure this paints the right picture. Matchroom, for practical purposes, had no decision to make in this situation.

Billy, by playing in WPA Sanctioned events, was governed by WPA rules, which included compliance with WADA drug mandates. When Billy tested positive for a disallowed substance, he was in breach of his contract with WPA, and was disciplined for it by losing his eligibility to play in WPA-sanctioned events for a period prescribed by WPA. As a producer of several WPA-sanctioned events, Matchroom had no choice but to abide by WPA's decision.

Not sure how it’s all that different. IOC is calling for a ban on athletes from Russia and Belarus in international competition. The WPA exists to serve under the umbrella of the IOC. So similarly Matchroom as a producer of several WPA-sanctioned events may have no choice but to abide by what is likely to be an upcoming WPA decision to ban Fedor from participating in the world championship, US Open, UK Open, European Open, and ultimately the Mosconi Cup. I’m speculating a little bit on how this will all play out but it’s not like I’m on a slippery slope given Krystina’s recent situation.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The civilized world is pretty united in making it difficult for Russians to move about the world freely.
Theyr invasion of Ukraine is unpopular to say the least and the world wants Russia to pay for it every way possible.
Even the Swiss, famous for their neutrality, has weighed in against them.
Don't be surprised if Russian players are not welcomed in any tournaments.
In fact, I expect it to be so.

Don't be surprised if Russian ships and planes are restricted to Russian waters and air, too.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not sure how it’s all that different.
The difference is that you stated "Matchroom was willing to enforce Billy’s ban for Mosconi Cup at WPA’s behest." My issue is with the choice of the word "behest", which implies that WPA had to urge Matchroom to abide by its ruling, which is not accurate. WPA's ruling was more of an edict/decree than a strong recommendation.

Beyond that usage, I think we're on the same page here, Matt.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference is that you stated "Matchroom was willing to enforce Billy’s ban for Mosconi Cup at WPA’s behest." My issue is with the choice of the word "behest", which implies that WPA had to urge Matchroom to abide by its ruling, which is not accurate. WPA's ruling was more of an edict/decree than a strong recommendation.

Beyond that usage, I think we're on the same page here, Matt.

Gotcha. Yeah that was just word choice.

I do get a little hazy on the role of WPA for the Mosconi Cup. On one hand it seems unnecessary since it’s just an exhibition. On the other hand I imagine official standing with the sport’s governing body may have been a necessity for Mosconi Cup to receive elite sporting event exemptions during COVID. So I was trying to lean on some fuzzy language on that basis.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Gotcha. Yeah that was just word choice.

I do get a little hazy on the role of WPA for the Mosconi Cup. On one hand it seems unnecessary since it’s just an exhibition. On the other hand I imagine official standing with the sport’s governing body may have been a necessity for Mosconi Cup to receive elite sporting event exemptions during COVID. So I was trying to lean on some fuzzy language on that basis.
Yeah, I don't understand it in full either, but if I might take a guess, it's for date protection. No other pro event can gain WPA sanctioning over the dates reserved for the Mosconi once it appears on the WPA calendar, and this protects the event producer's interests.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't understand it in full either, but if I might take a guess, it's for date protection. No other pro event can gain WPA sanctioning over the dates reserved for the Mosconi once it appears on the WPA calendar, and this protects the event producer's interests.

Similarly makes you wonder about Premier League Pool. Mosconi Cup is on the WCBS calendar but their other exhibitions (PLP, WCoP, and WPM) aren’t. The Predator Wisconsin Open was on the calendar for the week before. On the Cue It Up podcast Emily made a scoff at other events scheduling near the PLP which makes your head spin.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine if American athletes were banned when Bush attacked Iraq or when Obama illegally destroyed Libya. I hope Fedor remembers who was shitty to him.
I'd suggest that one stops imagining things, and starts working with reality. Make no mistake, Russia is not the United States, and Iraq and Libya are in no way like Ukraine. It may seam unfair, but life isn't, and comparing the human right's atrocities score between the United States and Russia, is about like me playing Fedor even - I can't win, but it doesn't mean I won't score.

I'l leave you with a quote from President Regan's speech in 1983:

Yes, let us pray for the salvation of all of those who live in that totalitarian darkness—pray they will discover the joy of knowing God. But until they do, let us be aware that while they preach the supremacy of the State, declare its omnipotence over individual man, and predict its eventual domination of all peoples on the earth, they are the focus of evil in the modern world .... So, in your discussions of the nuclear freeze proposals, I urge you to beware the temptation of pride—the temptation of blithely declaring yourselves above it all and label both sides equally at fault, to ignore the facts of history and the aggressive impulses of an evil empire, to simply call the arms race a giant misunderstanding and thereby remove yourself from the struggle between right and wrong and good and evil.

P.S. - I absolutely love Fedor Gorst as a player, and a person.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Where do we stand on Russian Magic Chauk?? ;)
Write f*ck Putin on it, and continue using it. All this misery caused by action of a meglomanic. In NYC, Russians, along with others from the former Soviet Republics are standing side by side with Ukrainian protesters outside the Russian Mission to the UN.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Write f*ck Putin on it, and continue using it. All this misery caused by action of a meglomanic. In NYC, Russians, along with others from the former Soviet Republics are standing side by side with Ukrainian protesters outside the Russian Mission to the UN.
Not to mention the almost 3000 people in Russia that have been arrested just for protesting.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The love of . . . Money and power, properly attained and utilized, are not inherently evil.
But there is always some asshole that wants to take it from you. Just because they dont have the knowledge or willpower to acquire it properly.

Governments are the biggest thieves. Always trying to take what you have earned.Then they misspend it due to lack of organization or accountability. If anyone thinks paying above 50% isnt your fair share, there is something wrong.

Remember this... What is the difference between Government and organized crime? One of them is organized!