Should we start a petition to change the 5 ball back to orange again?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m the wrong guy to start a online petition because I don’t know how to use the interwebs that good.

But I’m a life long pool player and gambler. The “orange crush” is the 5 and the break. Who wants a “grape crush”?

If we get a petition started I’ll deliver it to Karl Boyes of MR as I’ve know him for 15 years. Or at the very least he can point me in the right direction and we can create a voice loud enough to correct this tragic assault on pool as we know it.

I fully support MR and everything they are doing in pool, I believe we all should get behind them and support their effort. They play players, create content, will give rail birds something to bet on.

Everything but purple 5 balls.

It’s a necessary change to restore what little order we had in pool. None of us ever complained about the 5 ball. God knows we have argued everything else into the ground 10X over. But show me one thread about how bad the orange 5 is. We all have common ground the orange 5 was correct. Possibly the only thing in pool that has been correct all these years.

We can start a international movement here, now is our chance.

Thanks
Fatboy<——-making the 5 orange again

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lord have mercy!!! With enough people like you Matchroom might just give up on pool all together. Then you can watch all of the APA matches you can handle with your precious orange 5 ball.

Orrrrrrrr, maybe, just maybe, you can use that brain thing between your ears to learn a new color scheme. I know, I know, that's asking a lot out of you. I'm sorry...

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
all it takes is the viewers to say we are boycotting the streams.

or the pros to say what balls they want or they wont show up.

or the commentators to say they look like fools not knowing what the balls are, and they certainly do sound like fools, and they need to do it.

they do what their pockets tell them they have to do.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the original colors. Dont care for the new scheme. But I figure I'll suck it up and get used to them. They are not going anywhere... they are here to stay

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lord have mercy!!! With enough people like you Matchroom might just give up on pool all together. Then you can watch all of the APA matches you can handle with your precious orange 5 ball.

Orrrrrrrr, maybe, just maybe, you can use that brain thing between your ears to learn a new color scheme. I know, I know, that's asking a lot out of you. I'm sorry...
No man , can’t learn new colors. Sorry. I’ve spoke to top pros, league rookies and everything in between

Don’t mess with the ball colors.

Simple as that. I been at this shit my whole life, those who have feel like I do. I’m not the minority here

Best
Fatboy <——-keeping it real

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about gloves? Do we argue to ban them, or should they be only black if a player dares to wear one? And, racks: wood or metal? Jump cues? Carbon fiber?

Change the avatar to oldguy
As a proud oldguy I could give a rat's ass about the above variables. My brain is hard wired to purple fours and orange fives. If I'm watching a rotation game and can't see the numbers it is aggravating, so I'll sign that petition.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all it takes is the viewers to say we are boycotting the streams.

or the pros to say what balls they want or they wont show up.

or the commentators to say they look like fools not knowing what the balls are, and they certainly do sound like fools, and they need to do it.

they do what their pockets tell them they have to do.
A boycott might be a little strong, but then again……😂

oknazevad

Registered
For some time I wondered why the balls just don't go in rainbow order, as it's pretty straightforward. Then I realized that the 1 ball is yellow because it's the easiest color to see (hence the tradition of using it as one of the back corners for the initial rack in straight pool). And then the blue 2 is to contrast that, as the balls alternate between colors at the red half of the spectrum and ones at the blue half to make it easier to recognize the sequence at a glance. The pink 4 already gets away from that, but putting purple on the 5 really screws it up. Tweaking the shades to improve contrast is understandable, even maybe making a one-for-one change (the pink 4 is a few decades old at this point, and using cyan does align the balls with Newton's seven-color spectrum) but putting a traditional color on the wrong ball is, well, wrong.

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No man , can’t learn new colors. Sorry. I’ve spoke to top pros, league rookies and everything in between

Don’t mess with the ball colors.

Simple as that. I been at this shit my whole life, those who have feel like I do. I’m not the minority here

Best
Fatboy <——-keeping it real
You don't know "how to use the interwebs that good", you can't learn a new color, and you still think petitions are effective. I think you're going to need a little more help than an orange 5 ball. I'll say a few prayers for you this Sunday.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As a confirmed old timer, I was used to the old colors, but I don't see it as a very big deal, and it's pretty hard to believe that viewers can't make the adjustment as they watch a match. Others like to complain about the color of the cloth on the table. This stuff just doesn't matter much. I'll add that if the contract they signed to use this ball set has figured in their conception and financing of their new tour, the best new tour we've seen in our sport in decades, I'm all for it.

Matchroom's audience is growing, and all of its newer customers have surely grown accustomed to the current ball colors. Switching back might result in newer customers starting a petition to go back to the colors they know.

Let's get a grip on ourselves. A petition is a really bad idea.

Last edited: