Which is more popular in England? Pool or snooker!

Which is more popular in England?

• Snooker

Votes: 35 92.1%
  • Pool

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg M

Just England or the UK as a whole? Both cuesports are pretty popular across Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Don't know why England has to be singled out.

If we're talking about both playing and watching, snooker would likely win the vote.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just England or the UK as a whole? Both cuesports are pretty popular across Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Don't know why England has to be singled out.

If we're talking about both playing and watching, snooker would likely win the vote.
I chose England instead of Great Britain and Northern Ireland because of its location and where upcoming pool-related events may be showcased more and more in the future.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching on TV - snooker, hands down.
Playing - pool, with a million and one different rulesets - so maybe it's snooker.
Good logic. Interestingly, when I first started getting interested in snooker, my other half was gambling playing snooker, and I learned the rules really quick, but I still didn't understand it 100 percent.

With pool, the variety of games with rotation, banks, 14.1, one pocket, I can see where it would be challenging to learn for some folks. I still read posts written by others asking what is one pocket. They don't understand the game at all.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Which do think is more popular in England? Pool or snooker.
since snooker is such a logical choice i bet you (JAM) have a trick up her sleeve and its pool
p.s i voted for snooker

• Haha
Reactions: JAM

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good logic. Interestingly, when I first started getting interested in snooker, my other half was gambling playing snooker, and I learned the rules really quick, but I still didn't understand it 100 percent.

With pool, the variety of games with rotation, banks, 14.1, one pocket, I can see where it would be challenging to learn for some folks. I still read posts written by others asking what is one pocket. They don't understand the game at all.
Nobody (well almost) plays banks, 14.1 or one pocket in the UK. They play 8 ball with the red and yellow balls and the rules vary from pub to pub and everyone and his brother quotes the "real" rules which are nothing but. Serious players in tournaments play one of three different sets of rules - World Rules, Blackball or International Pool Rules.

"9 Ball" is played on "9 Ball" tables with "9 Ball" cues to the extent that I've played "American" 8 ball on a 9 ft in the UK and people who are actually quite good at English 8 ball said, "they are playing 9 ball". 8 (and 10) is rarely played on those tables and when it is it is often played to "2 shots" rules or a wild guess at WPA rules.

Greg M

What about blackball and English 8-ball? Those are definitely different from pool, and definitely not snooker.
English eight-ball is pool, though. Yes, it differs to American eight-ball regarding rulesets, but it's pool nonetheless.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has to be snooker, though the amount of clubs to play in, has been in decline for meany years. There are snooker academy's Now. Rileys use to be the place to play pool meany years ago. That was American pool, snooker and English 8 ball. In later years most where taken out and replaced by dart boards. English 8 ball can be played in nearly every pub in UK. But it's non existent on TV. American pool is getting more popular again like it was in the mid 2000s. But snooker is the money maker. When the season starts.its on TV a lot some times 3 tournaments a month.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TV wise it is definitely snooker. Player wise, I have no idea.

I have a friend who lived in England for a year and he saw way more pool players than snooker players over there. English 8 ball is obviously a very super popular game in pubs and in competition, however, he did not know how many snooker clubs there were but he did notice a few.